HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:56 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM View Post
Just wanted to say that I 100% agree with you. You're a brave man for standing up and speaking the truth in the forum.
What he stated was his opinion. There is no truth to opinion. Everyone is free to state their opinion here, if it’s on topic. One does not need to be brave.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
What he stated was his opinion. There is no truth to opinion. Everyone is free to state their opinion here, if it’s on topic. One does not need to be brave.

EXACTLY!! It was just ANOTHER OPINION!!! And yes, there is no truth to opinion.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 9:37 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
AGAIN, AUSTIN IS AUSTIN ANS SAN ANTONIO IS SAN ANTONIO...
Two totally different cities.....
I think you just don't GET that.... San Antonio DOES NOT want to be another Austin, believe me.....
San Antonio has been getting a lot of national and global attention lately, some bad but mostly good! And one learns from the bad and make it good!

And IMO I think you are trying to provoke a squabble AGAIN.

Sorry buddy
No, sir (or ma'am). That is not my intent.

It is true...San Antonio is San Antonio; Austin is Austin; Houston is Houston; New York is New York; Shanghai is Shanghai; etc., etc., etc. However, one requires quantitative data in which to compare and truly see how one is doing in the global marketplace. Next time, I'll use another project in which to compare that lies outside the Central Texas area.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
That is true, sirkingwilliam. It was an opinion based on fact(s). Having said that, I would not go as far as proclaiming there is "no truth" in an opinion. That's quite a big blanket to cast.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Hey, thanks for bringing it down to our level there, chief. You were in danger of going completely over our heads.
My pleasure, jack.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That is true, sirkingwilliam. It was an opinion based on fact(s). Having said that, I would not go as far as proclaiming there is "no truth" in an opinion. That's quite a big blanket to cast.
Opinion - a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 10:24 PM
Meh

I get what he's saying though. What with all the tourist activity and the hustle and bustle of the Riverwalk. There are people who likely would want to live there just as there are some who wouldn't. I'm of the opinion that anyone who chooses to live in a downtown environment knows what they're getting into with the noise and buzz. I think the perception about San Antonio's downtown sometimes is that once the tourist shops close for the day that it would be the opposite and would become sleepy or during the "off season" - if there is one. I don't know about that. It's never seemed to be sleepy and is one of the most active downtowns in Texas. I do get the feeling that San Antonio's downtown isn't the playground for locals in the way that other cities treat their downtowns as. I think that's one perception that does sort of stick about San Antonio's downtown.

Even if people didn't want to live near the touristy areas in downtown, San Antonio's downtown covers a large area. Honestly, the touristy areas mostly only cover the east side of downtown. There are still a lot of empty parking lots that could be developed into residential on the north, south and west sides of downtown that would be away from the tourist buzz. I look at the Rivernorth area - between Lexington Avenue and I-35 as having huge potential for large scale residential infill. It's already happening, of course, with the Lone Star Brewing development. There are even areas north of I-35 between I-10 and 281 that could see a lot of infill replacing the parking lots there.

One other concern is to not invite too much residential into the area around the hotels to discourage noise complaints in the area. That's a problem that Austin has had to deal with new residential being too close to the bars and clubs, though, most of the complaints have come from some of the hotels. San Antonio no doubt benefits big time from the tourist industry and the city is probably reluctant to wanting to jinx it with a bunch of residential where people might complain about traffic and noise issue. Again, I think anyone moving into a downtown should know better than to complain about noise in a downtown or any other urban setting. It comes with the territory.

Anyway, this building is kind of inching into the area where I mentioned above - north of Lexington Avenue. I think it's the logical direction for San Antonio's core residential to go. This building is going to have a big impact on the skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 7:09 PM

Looking for more investors down in the Valley.

http://riograndeguardian.com/eb5-com...tonio-project/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:11 AM

Drove by tonight and the lot is fenced off and there is a bulldozer ready to go.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5021 View Post
Drove by tonight and the lot is fenced off and there is a bulldozer ready to go.

FANTASTIC!!

From the looks of where this building will be located, it will definitely make an impact on the skyline!!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:31 AM

I don't know how to post pictures here, but at La Cantera, they're already posting advertisements around the mall (e.g., one by Dillards) regarding this beautiful building. I think things are starting to roll a lot faster now. And considering it's a residential high-rise, it should go up a lot faster than many of the commercial projects currently in the works downtown. I'm betting we will see this finished before even the Canopy.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 8:50 PM

Hey there everyone, been lurking around here for a while so I thought I'd try to contribute something. I stopped by the site of the Thompson this morning and grabbed a few photos. Luckily as it was early-ish on a Sunday there wasn't anyone around. Doesn't look like much has been done yet. Hopefully they'll bury those power lines.

Last edited by micahinsa; Dec 10, 2017 at 8:55 PM. Reason: sorry, not sure how to make the photos not look gigantic...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 3:53 AM

Oh, wow. I remember the location being different. I thought it was the long parking lot on the River. This location is not as good 🙄

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Oh, wow. I remember the location being different. I thought it was the long parking lot on the River. This location is not as good ������
Nope. It's in the parking lot at the SW corner of Lexington & St Mary's, so on the north side of the river, sandwiched between Hotel Indigo and El Tropicano:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:34 PM

Can you provide the links to the images? thanks-

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTrexler View Post
Can you provide the links to the images? thanks-
Which ones? I took the photos at the site myself. The maps, I just did some screenshots from Google Maps and then drew an outline around the property in Photoshop.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:44 PM

There is work being done today 12/11/2017 at the Thompson site.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:50 PM

Understood. They are blocked on my work computer, I'll view when I get home. thanks much, Michael

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:33 AM
Meh

Whoa, I didn't realize it was going to be so skinny.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 10:23 AM

I honestly thought this whole time it was going to be across the street on the river, where that long parking lot is. I'm not in love with the actual location. However, may be with this new building others around it will update their exterior. Also, the power lines - I am sure they will be removed, which should only further the need to update and gentrify they immediate surrounding area. On the plus side, to building should go up so much faster - an issue if it was right on the River. And because it is more commercial, apartments and condominiums, it will go up faster than the Frost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio