HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:52 PM
JACKinBeantown

SAN ANTONIO | Dream Hotel | 25 Floors | 230-280 Feet | Proposed

https://therivardreport.com/new-york...n-san-antonio/

"A New York-based hotel management company has announced plans to open a Dream Hotel in downtown San Antonio in 2023.

Dream Hotel Group made its announcement on Monday via a press release and design rendering showing a towering glass structure situated next to a bridge over the River Walk.

The spokeswoman said construction on the project will begin in 2021 but would not confirm the exact location of the planned hotel. A press release describes it as “centrally located, and architectural renderings show a site along the River Walk.

However, a source with knowledge of the project told the Rivard Report the hotel will be located at 107 E. Martin St., near the corner of Soledad. A one-story commercial building currently occupies the site and is home to a nightclub, V Lounge. The Wyndham San Antonio Riverwalk is situated across the street.

The hotel group and its development partners have not submitted its conceptual designs for approval from the City of San Antonio’s Historic and Design Review Commission, a step that would be required before construction could begin.

The boutique hotel will feature 217 guest rooms and suites, multiple dining and nightlife venues, a rooftop pool, fitness facilities, and meeting space overlooking the San Antonio River, according to the press release. Massachusetts firm CUBE3 Architects was named as the conceptual design team.

The release further stated that its location in a federally designated opportunity zone adds to the “financial feasibility and attractiveness” of the development. Developers who invest in opportunity zones are eligible for tax reductions on capital gains.

Dream Hotel Group manages properties in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Bangkok, and Nashville, and owns five hotel brands: Dream Hotels, Time Hotels, The Chatwal, Unscripted Hotels, and By Dream Hotel.

Properties in the Dream Hotel brand, billed as a hotel for global travelers who desire built-in nightlife and ultra-modern amenities, are located in several major U.S. cities and abroad, with a new one planned for Dallas."

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:54 PM
Meh

Nice. The rendering seems to show 22 floors above the street, but yeah, going with that number, I would expect this to be around 270 to 280 feet. Not bad at all, and I really like this design.

I'll have to add this one and the medical center hospital tower to my Google Earth model, as well as to the database. I'm glad to see San Antonio getting some towers.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:23 PM
Meh

I grabbed the largest version of that rendering from the Business Journal article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...r-still-a.html

Something I'm noticing here, there's a glass parapet on the main roof, which suggests to me that they may be planning a rooftop pool/amenity deck.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I grabbed the largest version of that rendering from the Business Journal article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...r-still-a.html

Something I'm noticing here, there's a glass parapet on the main roof, which suggests to me that they may be planning a rooftop pool/amenity deck.

Yes, the articles I've seen all mention a rooftop pool and other amenities including a bar.

It's a nice project, nice design, and in a area that could use a project as this.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:14 PM

So... whose face is that?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:49 PM

curious about the mural on the rendering. the design is very nice and would be a great addition to downtown SA.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:01 PM

still wondering where along the riverwalk this would be.

Last edited by cibolo; Jan 29, 2020 at 10:04 PM. Reason: double post

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:29 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibolo View Post
still wondering where along the riverwalk this would be.
I added it to my Google Earth model. I scaled it at 280 feet here.

The view of it from the Tower of the Americas is going to be mostly blocked by the Weston Centre.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:41 AM

As always thanks for the massing maps Kevin. They really help put things in perspective. I find myself looking back on them often. Hopefully this project moves forward. That part of Downtown could really use something like this. I've always had hopes that a nice cluster of taller buildings would form in that area. (Around the Weston and Bank of America buildings)

Last edited by Onward; Jan 30, 2020 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:12 AM

This Heron article says 25 stories and that residential units are included in this tower.

https://saheron.com/dream-hotel-group/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

Awesome, Kevin! I'd like to suggest that you start a thread for your massing models. That way they'd be easy for everyone to find, and if you want to update them, there's a thread for that.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:50 AM

This is awesome. it has to be one of the best current hotel proposals in Texas.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:41 PM

Now

I want this to happen, I want it to open last week and I want two dozen just like it...well not just like it that'd be dull but two dozen more!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:57 PM

Dream Hotel CEO breaks down ambitious River Walk plan -27 -Stories Possible

By W. Scott Bailey – Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...ambitious.html

The proposed Dream San Antonio hotel tower along the River Walk is expected to cost $50 million to $100 million to develop, said Jay Stein, CEO of Dream Hotel Group LLC.

The company is already contemplating more expansion in the Alamo City before the hotel breaks ground, Stein told me during an exclusive interview about the project.

“We are going to bring something that’s a little more sophisticated than typically what’s been in that market,” he said.

He also said the hotel will likely trigger additional downtown development as a result of those backing the site secured for the Dream San Antonio project.

“Where we land will depend on finishes and details like the amount of restaurants and amenities that will be included,” said Christian Glauser Benz, vice president of development for Dream Hotel Group. “These hotels are large investments that pack a lot of components.”

Based on preliminary designs, the Dream San Antonio hotel could be 27 stories, making it one of the city’s tallest downtown buildings. It will house some 200-plus rooms and entertainment spaces.

The San Antonio project will take about 18 to 24 months to build, putting its opening two or three years out, Benz said.

Among the details Benz was not willing to disclose is the project's location. While at least one former San Antonio economic development official familiar with the plans believes the hotel is earmarked for a site along East Martin Street immediately west of the San Antonio River, Benz declined to confirm nor deny that location.

Meanwhile, the identity of the investor group backing the new hotel remains a secret. Benz did reveal that the people involved are local.

“They are strong believers in San Antonio,” he said.

That group is still recruiting more investors. Benz said multiple groups have shown a strong interest.

Stein said it’s not unusual that Dream Hotel Group would begin work on such a project before it’s fully funded.

“This is quite typical of a lot of the deals that we do,” he said.

The ownership group has some extra bait on its hook as Dream Hotel Group executives confirmed the project is pegged for a site that’s included in one of San Antonio’s designated Opportunity Zone areas. That could help drive more development around the hotel.

“That whole area is definitely going to change and evolve as the project gets built,” Benz said. “The local developers looked at this holistically and want to have the Dream hotel as the starting piece.”

Last edited by babysal; Feb 4, 2020 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:03 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

Quote:
The proposed Dream San Antonio hotel tower along the River Walk is expected to cost $50 million to $100 million to develop, said Jay Stein, CEO of Dream Hotel Group LLC.
That's a very wide range.

Quote:
The company is already contemplating more expansion in the Alamo City before the hotel breaks ground, Stein told me during an exclusive interview about the project.

“We are going to bring something that’s a little more sophisticated than typically what’s been in that market,” he said.

He also said the hotel will likely trigger additional downtown development as a result of those backing the site secured for the Dream San Antonio project.
Okay....

Quote:
Among the details Benz was not willing to disclose is the project's location. While at least one former San Antonio economic development official familiar with the plans believes the hotel is earmarked for a site along East Martin Street immediately west of the San Antonio River, Benz declined to confirm nor deny that location.

Meanwhile, the identity of the investor group backing the new hotel remains a secret. Benz did reveal that the people involved are local.

“They are strong believers in San Antonio,” he said.
This is weird. They released a rendering that showed exactly where the hotel will be but they refuse to confirm it or say who's investing.

Quote:
That group is still recruiting more investors. Benz said multiple groups have shown a strong interest.

Stein said it’s not unusual that Dream Hotel Group would begin work on such a project before it’s fully funded.

“This is quite typical of a lot of the deals that we do,” he said.
Okay....

Quote:
“That whole area is definitely going to change and evolve as the project gets built,” Benz said. “The local developers looked at this holistically and want to have the Dream hotel as the starting piece.”
What whole area? This whole deal keeps setting off my bull**** detector. I hate it when developers start talking about the aftereffects of projects that they haven't even taken the first step toward building, that they won't even confirm the location or investors, that isn't fully funded, that hasn't even been cleared to build by any city agencies.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:53 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

This is weird. They released a rendering that showed exactly where the hotel will be but they refuse to confirm it or say who's investing.
I thought so too. Maybe they don't expect people like us to study every minute detail and determine its location. Most people don't.

Quote:
What whole area? This whole deal keeps setting off my bull**** detector. I hate it when developers start talking about the aftereffects of projects that they haven't even taken the first step toward building, that they won't even confirm the location or investors, that isn't fully funded, that hasn't even been cleared to build by any city agencies.
UTSA and Weston are planing big things in the area. Maybe they're talking about that. They don't actually make the claim that the area will get built as a result of this project... just that “That whole area is definitely going to change and evolve as the project gets built." "As" could mean "at the same time." Plus, with the Broadway corridor on the other side, not to mention the San Pedro Creek, it's not a stretch to come to the conclusion that the whole area will change and evolve as this is getting built.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I thought so too. Maybe they don't expect people like us to study every minute detail and determine its location. Most people don't.
There is also someone who saw plans for this project a year or so ago who confirmed it in a couple articles about this.

Quote:
UTSA and Weston are planing big things in the area. Maybe they're talking about that. They don't actually make the claim that the area will get built as a result of this project... just that “That whole area is definitely going to change and evolve as the project gets built." "As" could mean "at the same time." Plus, with the Broadway corridor on the other side, not to mention the San Pedro Creek, it's not a stretch to come to the conclusion that the whole area will change and evolve as this is getting built.
Not when you consider his quote: "The local developers (meaning the local investors of the Dream Hotel) looked at this holistically and want to have the Dream hotel as the starting piece." That was said by Christian Glauser Benz, vice president of development for Dream Hotel Group, not someone local. No mention of Weston, UTSA, Broadway, a creek, just this Dream Hotel, which I must admit is well named.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 3:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
There is also someone who saw plans for this project a year or so ago who confirmed it in a couple articles about this.

Not when you consider his quote: "The local developers (meaning the local investors of the Dream Hotel) looked at this holistically and want to have the Dream hotel as the starting piece." That was said by Christian Glauser Benz, vice president of development for Dream Hotel Group, not someone local. No mention of Weston, UTSA, Broadway, a creek, just this Dream Hotel, which I must admit is well named.
None of those other projects have begun yet, so this could be the starting piece chronologically. Developers will use any trick of words to make themselves and their projects seem as important as possible. Think like a lawyer... one word can change the whole meaning of an entire sentence. Look at how often they lie about floor counts. For example, Trump Tower in New York was marketed as 90 floors but it really has 72. Who knows what the truth is? You could be absolutely right. I'm just saying consider every possible meaning before believing the boast a big developer makes.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
None of those other projects have begun yet, so this could be the starting piece chronologically. Developers will use any trick of words to make themselves and their projects seem as important as possible. Think like a lawyer... one word can change the whole meaning of an entire sentence. Look at how often they lie about floor counts. For example, Trump Tower in New York was marketed as 90 floors but it really has 72. Who knows what the truth is? You could be absolutely right. I'm just saying consider every possible meaning before believing the boast a big developer makes.
There's a difference between considering every possible meaning and reaching for an interpretation that is the best possible outcome, but my entire point about this proposed development is that it's being rolled out in a very shady, untrustworthy way so I guess we actually see eye-to-eye.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:26 PM

It already has a beautiful design.....
And being that the developers are from NYC, I am sure the design will change during the process of the project, and out will arise a beautiful building with a STUNNING design!!

Y'all have a GREAT day!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio