HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 7:28 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

The DART routes were introduced in 1997 during the Susan Thompson era, but really WT was talking about Dial-A-Bus since 1974.

They're not really that more efficient than a feeder bus. The reason why they exist is because of the inefficient way the suburbs have been designed - ie. the cul-de-sac.

Let's go back to grided streets and there will be no need for Dial-A-Buses.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 1:09 PM
I am a typical

^There's a dart route in St. Boniface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Permeated?
I was thinking more along these lines:

inglobated
encircled

But looking at the map he probably means something along the lines of "added to", like a municipality being added to a CMA? It doesn't look like urban sprawl has surrounded it but there is built up areas stretching between it and Florence and the rest of that area is farms.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Cheap seniors taxi service. The weekday St. Boniface DART is the closest thing to normal working hours a bus driver could even have here, and almost nothing but seniors from what I've heard.

The other DART's spend a lot of their evenings shuffling teens around, excpet for 109 which is too busy.

Then again, I've never done a DART, never will.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 4:08 PM

Sorry guys, I've been hiding for a while but have been reading the various threads on Winnipeg every now and then.....

This is indeed great news! I hope it all falls into place relatively soon.

I believe that things have finally come full circle. It really is only a matter of time!

Hopefully we will have some even greater news by the end of the month.

Later.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 2:27 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

I was thinking more along these lines:

inglobated
encircled

But looking at the map he probably means something along the lines of "added to", like a municipality being added to a CMA? It doesn't look like urban sprawl has surrounded it but there is built up areas stretching between it and Florence and the rest of that area is farms.
I meant "incorporated". This is not official, I mean it was proposed to create a unique jurisdiction but it was not done. However de facto they are a metropolitan area: i.e. i lived in Pistoia and went to University in Florence, thus taking the train/bus everyday. And like me thousands in Pistoia work/study in Florence so they had to increase both the frequency and the capacity of the trains.

The urban sprawl has connected Pistoia to Florence, and has mostly originated in Prato (the city in the middle). There are only 30 km from Pistoia to Florence, half the size of Winnipeg, and it's a thin stretch covering the valley, around it there are mountains.

Anyways any news about rapid transit in Winnipeg is good news at this point, so whatever they choose is better than inaction.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 5:02 AM

I personally support Monorail. They can be very affordable unlike subway, have no problem with winter as the new Moscow Monorail demonstrates and don't get caught in traffic like LRT. Also LRT requires overhead wire construction. Monorails are faster, can have modest stations, have very small turning radiuses which is ideal for Winnipeg's downtown, and are both cheap and fast to build as most is acctually built off site. They are also far quiter than LRT due to riding on rubber wheels. If you go for a Monorail { not expensive Skytrain} you have a forward thinking mayor.

One of the benfits of BRT is it's low cost but at $40million/km that is much higher than any BRT. Monorail could be built for that price.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 5:24 AM

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...0790585&ref=mf

A guy in the Facebook group Winnipeg Transit Love/Hate Society, Steve Peasey, says that the yellow strip on the NF buses from the beginning of this decade are starting to wear out, and perhaps it's time for WT to replace some of the strips.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Cheap seniors taxi service. The weekday St. Boniface DART is the closest thing to normal working hours a bus driver could even have here, and almost nothing but seniors from what I've heard.

The other DART's spend a lot of their evenings shuffling teens around, excpet for 109 which is too busy.

Then again, I've never done a DART, never will.
The one that goes to St. Amant Centre picks up a lot of people there, especially in winter when it's too cold to walk to St. Mary's.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:10 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:

A guy in the Facebook group Winnipeg Transit Love/Hate Society, Steve Peasey, says that the yellow strip on the NF buses from the beginning of this decade are starting to wear out, and perhaps it's time for WT to replace some of the strips.
It's true. I see it all the time, people pressing the strip, but wonder why it's not opening. It's funny that they keep pressing the same spot when there's a lot more spots to push on the strip. I mean, it's only 4 feet long for crying out loud!

Whenever that back door does not open when I press one spot, I choose another spot to press until it opens. Not a lot of people do this, which is unfortunate.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It's true. I see it all the time, people pressing the strip, but wonder why it's not opening. It's funny that they keep pressing the same spot when there's a lot more spots to push on the strip. I mean, it's only 4 feet long for crying out loud!

Whenever that back door does not open when I press one spot, I choose another spot to press until it opens. Not a lot of people do this, which is unfortunate.
i've tried other spots to no avail even when they were new they were sketchy...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:06 AM

Quote:

They do replace them from time to time when they stop working altogether. Doesn't matter, people can't seem to grasp something as simple as the motion sensor for the back door on the new buses.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurgle View Post
The one that goes to St. Amant Centre picks up a lot of people there, especially in winter when it's too cold to walk to St. Mary's.
True enough, and they rode the 16 before the DART was introduced. Service was more frequent too.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
They do replace them from time to time when they stop working altogether. Doesn't matter, people can't seem to grasp something as simple as the motion sensor for the back door on the new buses.
first time i saw that screwed with my head lol i figured it out but even then its got some bugs

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 1:50 PM

The Invero buses don't even have the strip on the door; it's on the end of the separator between the door and front of bus, about a foot away from the door. Pretty confused about how to get out first time I was on one of those.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:15 PM

That's OK. I've seen enough people have trouble with the back door on the high floor buses in recent years. Instead of pushing the gate they step around it and push on the door!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
That's OK. I've seen enough people have trouble with the back door on the high floor buses in recent years. Instead of pushing the gate they step around it and push on the door!
yea then when someone trys to help them they wind up hitting them in the head with the gate lol

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:25 PM

I went to a BOMA lunch today at the Delta hotel and the guest speaker was MLA Jim Rondeau. When asked about using Hydro to power future rapid mass transit in Winnipeg, there was a nice deflection to the developments of NewFlyer and their Hydrogen powered busses that will be used in Vancouver for 2010.

So I'm thinking if there is some new development behind the scenes with Katz trying to get something other then BRT it doesn't look like the province is either on side with it or is not willing to let any info slide out to the public. For the amount that Mr. Rondeau was talking up Hydro and the powersmart program and Green being the future of the Manitoba economy, I figured he might have been more inclined to answer my question and show some leadership on pushing this issue forward with electricity being its driving force.

That being said it looks like we might get some NewFlyer Hydrogen powered buses on our new BRT system.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 8:27 PM

Thanks for asking Rondeau though, Andrew.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 8:35 PM
I am a typical

It is hard to make technology intuitive when the population isn't.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 9:06 PM

You noticed, eh?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan