HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:19 PM
Registered Geek

Tony Roma's Stonebridge

Apparently Tony Roma's in Stonebridge is shuttering after 21 years on Saturday, September 28, 2019. It sounds as though there is a new owner of the building but that the franchise itself is done.

According to CTV News last night... the Granary is taking over the location as their second in the city. Interesting!!

Last edited by TheCricket; Sep 25, 2019 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 6:32 PM

Kind of retail related, but has Saskatoon ever had a seasonal outdoor flea market/antique market? Seems very common in other cities throughout the country (and US) but I have never seen one in Saskatoon. I haven't been to the farmers market in a long time but is there something like that linked with that every weekend?

For second hand goods/reuse/resale of items you can find good deals and interesting items. Some of which may just find their way to the landfill or Value Village (where they mark the prices way up).

Random thought.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:51 AM

Congratulations, Hearth!

Saskatoon restaurant cracks top-50 list for best in Canada for vegetarians

BY THOMAS PILLER GLOBAL NEWS
October 1, 2019

Saskatoon’s Hearth Restaurant made a list of 50 “best restaurants for vegetarians” in Canada.

OpenTable released its 2019 list — culled from over 500,000 verified diner reviews of more than 3,000 Canadian eateries that cater to meatless dietary preferences — on Oct. 1.

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/5977388/h...a-vegetarians/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:34 PM

The City Perks folks are opening "Sparrow" in new the Monarch building at 2nd & Queen: https://www.instagram.com/cityperkscoffee/?hl=en

Great to hear that there will be some animation on that corner and, I would assume, a patio in summer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 5:17 PM

Was at Preston Crossing this weekend and saw that forms are going up for the Olive Garden restaurant (where Chili's use to be located). Took them a while to get this going!

We were talking about it last night over supper and our consensus/question was "is Olive Garden even still a popular chain?" Most at our dinner table said they were not interested in going to it, but did say it may offer an affordable family pasta option for the city.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
The City Perks folks are opening "Sparrow" in new the Monarch building at 2nd & Queen: https://www.instagram.com/cityperkscoffee/?hl=en

Great to hear that there will be some animation on that corner and, I would assume, a patio in summer.
Anyone heard about any other tenants that will be moving into the Monarch building?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontone View Post
Anyone heard about any other tenants that will be moving into the Monarch building?
Only one unit has a leased sign in the window as of a couple days ago.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:07 PM

There are signs on the f̶l̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ window of the old Keo's location on Broadway (1013 Broadway Ave) for "Lavva Kitchen & Bar" . Some construction has been happening inside for the last few weeks but I'm not able to find any more information about this place.

Last edited by tenraptors; Oct 18, 2019 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
There are signs on the f̶l̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ window of the old Keo's location on Broadway (1013 Broadway Ave) for "Lavva Kitchen & Bar" . Some construction has been happening inside for the last few weeks but I'm not able to find any more information about this place.
I believe Lavva is some type of extra healthy yogurt. Will be interesting to see how busy they are.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 2:59 PM

Prairie Sun should be open at their new location on Broadway this weekend. They've already had some "soft opening" private events.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:30 PM

New Faces New Places: A restaurant with options for all

ERIN PETROW, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
November 2, 2019

A breakfast spot, an after-work hangout, or simply somewhere to relax and share a meal with friends — Aria Food + Spirits aims to be something for everyone.

Jessica Litman has a long history in the restaurant industry. From local restaurants to chains, she has seen — and done — everything. She never expected to become a restaurant owner herself, she says. The idea to open a place like Aria began after she realized how tough it can be to find a place to eat in Saskatoon that offers food for anyone, regardless of their specialized diets, allergies or food sensitivities.

“I have a few dietary restrictions and I found that in Saskatoon there was not a whole lot of diversity to some of the menus out there — and we have a lot of restaurants,” she said. “I wanted to do something that had a little something for everyone.”

[..........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...or-sensitivity

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:00 AM

The Delta Bessborough just posted that the Samurai Restaurant will close permanently in a couple months. See post from their Facebook below.

The Delta Bessborough would like to inform you that the Samurai Japanese Restaurant is closing its doors permanently on January 1, 2020.

The Samurai Restaurant has been a Saskatoon favorite for authentic Japanese Teppanyaki style cuisine and experience since 1980. Many special moments and family gatherings have been hosted at the Samurai, and for that we are wholeheartedly grateful. Thank you to all our staff over the years who have delivered this experience with passion and commitment, we admire and applaud you.

The Samurai will make its final stand by serving our last guests on December 31, 2019. Until then the Samurai is honoring its rise by re-introducing our original menu printed on a keepsake Japanese Fan, Saki cocktails, Vintage décor and a complete throwback to the 80’s opening.

Please share your memories with us as we celebrate and honor the departure of a local culinary tradition.

For reservations call 306-683-6926

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:07 PM

A new Cajun & Creole restaurant has opened in Dalmeny, "Southern Roots". Menu looks good, albeit a little on the pricey side--hope they do well though!

https://www.facebook.com/southernrootsyxe/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
A new Cajun & Creole restaurant has opened in Dalmeny, "Southern Roots". Menu looks good, albeit a little on the pricey side--hope they do well though!

https://www.facebook.com/southernrootsyxe/
Wonderful to see this Cajun & Creole restaurant open up in the Saskatoon area. Will have to drive out and give it a try!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:17 PM

So the feedback on Reddit for Prarie Suns new location arent that glowing. Shame because the building is great. I'll check it out myself to see if it beats Shelter and Winston's as drinking spots that I like.

My new face spot lately has been Pig and Pantry for meats. The food there is very good.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 8:04 PM

I've heard some rumours that Scotiabank Theatre will be undergoing some renos to their smaller theatres to include reclining chairs like in the new Cineplex at The Centre but I haven't been able to find any information about it. Has anyone else heard anything? It would be nice, but I'm doubtful that it's true.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:04 PM

Galaxy Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenraptors View Post
I've heard some rumours that Scotiabank Theatre will be undergoing some renos to their smaller theatres to include reclining chairs like in the new Cineplex at The Centre but I haven't been able to find any information about it. Has anyone else heard anything? It would be nice, but I'm doubtful that it's true.
Just as you heard......they will be upgrading the seats to recliners in the small auditoriums. No exact time frame that I am aware of, but this has been confirmed by theater staff stating that, "at least this is the plan."

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:13 PM

Midtown just announced they are getting H&M in 2020. 23,000sqft

Posted on their Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/shop.midtown/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontone View Post
Just as you heard......they will be upgrading the seats to recliners in the small auditoriums. No exact time frame that I am aware of, but this has been confirmed by theater staff stating that, "at least this is the plan."
They upgraded the ones at Southland Cinemas in Regina a couple years ago when the new Landmark Theatre was announced. The first time I fell asleep during a movie at a theatre was in one of those new recliners.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 7:20 PM

Signage up in Midtown for Jack & Jones menswear -- coming soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan