HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 1:47 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You can't externally link from Emporis, just link to the photo page itself. The image you are seeing is from your computers cache, not the internet, and only appears because the URL matches up.

(They say that you cannot save images from Emporis to your computer, but to see them, you HAVE to save them to your computer. )
Or... You can take a screenshot using whatever photo image editing program or use "Prnt Scrn" button to do the screenshot as well. Simply goto paint and paste image... crop and save. If you don't have access to saving the image.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 2:33 AM
I am a typical

You can right click and save with Firefox. You can copy the URL of the image and transload it onto imageshack. Both methods easier than the mess you describe and ones that I have used myself in the past. I'm pretty sure you can view the source code and copy the URL from there, as well.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 5:24 AM

Okay,Im trying Jay's way, last try, tell me if it works or not.
Trianon:

Centre Point:

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 5:25 AM

dp

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 5:30 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
dp

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 5:35 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
You can right click and save with Firefox. You can copy the URL of the image and transload it onto imageshack. Both methods easier than the mess you describe and ones that I have used myself in the past. I'm pretty sure you can view the source code and copy the URL from there, as well.
Sometimes with some sites they disable the right clicking properties.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 11:41 PM

spare a thought for the Moose Jaw Civic Dentre, the ugliest sports facility in Canada.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 11:55 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Sometimes with some sites they disable the right clicking properties.
That's why you use Firefox. It can get around that. You can also use Firefox's scrap book extension, save a copy of the page and select elements on that.

@Stephen: You can't hotlink from their server, link to the page on which you found that image.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 11:56 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
That's why you use Firefox. It can get around that. You can also use Firefox's scrap book extension, save a copy of the page and select elements on that.

@Stephen: You can't hotlink from their server, link to the page on which you found that image.
Thats all i use is Firefox, i hate IE. lol

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 11:57 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen LaRose View Post
spare a thought for the Moose Jaw Civic Dentre, the ugliest sports facility in Canada.

You might hurt some of those guys from the local area, who made that arena. CRUSHED CAN.

Source: Wiki

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 2:53 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
Calling it "ugly" or "the worst on the Prairies" based on style is just being lazy. It's worth making an effort to study why architects designed it that way; you'll see how, "worst" as you might think they are, they're representative of their times. They're part of your city's character and history, whether you "like" it or not.

It's exactly the same way how people in the 50s-70s panned buildings of Victorian and Chicago school
I disagree. While I can appreciate some modernist buildings, visually, to the average person, they are cold and sterile, wheras victorian/chicago school buildings may have been torn down, but for entirely different reasons... old, need something new.. lack of appreciation does not equal hatred of something. Again, a lot of those buildings were torn down because they were empty and needed work to be fixed up.

If people want to call it ugly, then democratically, no matter what some architect somewhere says, no matter how much people might scoff at the average persons lack of understanding about architecture, if at the end of the day people hate looking at it, it is ugly.

I hate when architects add glass buildings next to older brick buildings. But all architects LOVE doing it. It just looks tacky to me.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
If people want to call it ugly, then democratically, no matter what some architect somewhere says, no matter how much people might scoff at the average persons lack of understanding about architecture, if at the end of the day people hate looking at it, it is ugly.
Fair enough. I was coming at it knowing that what's called "ugly" often becomes the next demolition site - and I'm just saying that, in the long run, cities have more to gain by preserving their "character" buildings and examples of period architecture, than by tearing down what a fickle public calls "ugly".

They very well may be the buildings that people will say "What a shame they destroyed it - what were they thinking?!" about 20-40y from now, the same way we say the same about turn-of-the-century buildings preserved only in photographs now, and wish we had more districts/neighbourhoods with history to them (at least, in Regina anyway - Winnipeg may have done a better job of keeping a variety of architectural styles intact).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I disagree. While I can appreciate some modernist buildings, visually, to the average person, they are cold and sterile, wheras victorian/chicago school buildings may have been torn down, but for entirely different reasons... old, need something new
Those pretty much are the same reasons though, you're just spinning them differently - you're substituting objective adjectives ("cold", "sterile") for the same subjective opinions ("old", "need something new"). The same way how Modernists used "excessive", "grotesque", "pompous" when they thought Victorian was "old" and they "need something new".

Maybe more needs to be done to educate the public about architecture and and design. If people had opportunities to learn more about historic buildings - I see that Winnipeg already has a Doors Open programme (like Ottawa, Toronto, etc; it looks like Heritage Canada sponsored one in Saskatoon in '05, but I don't think there's been one in Regina. Maybe something like that can be expanded beyond the one/two-day open houses, and include permanent plaques or markers that better explain why a building looks the way it does. Or stories/memories people can call up and hear (like Murmur) that put a building into context.

The UK has a Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment and the Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment that actively work with government and private construction to do things better, and help educate the public; I couldn't find a Canadian equivalent, but that's something that might be helpful too.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:54 PM
Urban Dreamer

I'd have to say that the Milroy and the Capri are the most hideous buildings in the Saskatoon region. I don't really know of many other buildings across the prairies but those sure have my vote. One I do know of which is a HUGE eye soar would be the petro towers in Calgary . As for the sturdy stone, I think that it's a fantastic building and an excellent way to house a parking lot with some sort of architectural design.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 1:04 AM

The ugliest building so far is Regina’s orange buffoon the agra dome what a hideous hideous place

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
The ugliest building so far is Regina’s orange buffoon the agra dome what a hideous hideous place
Ha. I like it. I'm sure you could find many big box stores and warehouses that are far uglier.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 8:39 PM

^^^Reed Solomon might want to change his avatar given developments over the last few years.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 9:09 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^^^Reed Solomon might want to change his avatar given developments over the last few years.
Nygard is back baby! And he's posting his thoughts on urbanism live to SSP for our reading enjoyment from the Toronto South Detention Centre.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan