HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 6:17 AM
BANNED

Cool CHICAGO | Wrigley Field

here's to a great season:
there's nothing like seeing the cubs win at wrigley on a hot summer day!
in my opinion, wrigley is easily the greatest stadium out there!
it's right in the middle of the dense, energy-filled, urban northside of chicago.
the view of the northside skyline in the background is an unmatched feature.
the fans watching from the rooftop bleachers on the neighboring buildings is unheard of at any other stadium.
the age of the stadium is charming in everything from the classic red entrance sign to the man-powered scoreboard.
the crazy wind patterns...
THE IVY!
THE BLEACHERS!
i could go on and on about what makes wrigley so unique and special and wonderful and everything else that it is!
i love wrigley field! let's go cubs 2008!

*wiki

*chrisc.freeshell.org

*rch.drwinters.net

*crawlyscubs

*usacitydirectories

*destination360

*jasonramage

contributions:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:12 PM
low life in a tall place

Nice pics.
I can of course understand the sentimental value of this stadium for Chicagoans and Cubs fans, the memories, the atmosphere and so on.. But I don't really see anything special with the stadium itself?
Do you have more photos of the exterior?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:24 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I always thought it was a shame that there wasn't more architectural prowess around Wrigley.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 2:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Nice pics.
But I don't really see anything special with the stadium itself?
wrigley is not something that can be seen........ it can only be experienced.

i'm sorry for the cryptic answer, but it's the truth.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 4, 2008 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 2:25 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Nice pics.
I can of course understand the sentimental value of this stadium for Chicagoans and Cubs fans, the memories, the atmosphere and so on.. But I don't really see anything special with the stadium itself?
Do you have more photos of the exterior?
The ivy-covered outfield walls and backstop, the old scoreboard, the marquee on the front of the stadium... But what really makes the place special for Cubs' fans is simply the fact that it's an old-fashioned ballpark intimately located in the middle of a vibrant neighborhood--truly rarity in this day and age.

All taken by KCgridlock

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:40 PM
low life in a tall place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
wrigley is not something that can be seen........ it can only be experienced.

i'm sorry for the cryptic answer, but it's the truth.
I know exactly what you mean.
Fact is, this is probably the situation for most stadiums of larger (and smaller) clubs in the world. I'm a huge supporter of a sports club as well, and despite them currently playing at a 1950s commie-style bomb hole (new stadium u/c), it is still the most awesome place for Malmö FF supporters, regardless of architecture/standard. Not saying that Wrigley Field is a bomb hole though...

i_am_hydrogen,
Thanks for the pics. The location is really awesome, and stadiums being crammed in in the middle dense neighbourhoods are becoming more rare even in Europe these days, since most clubs are constructing new stadiums.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean.
Fact is, this is probably the situation for most stadiums of larger (and smaller) clubs in the world.
well, it's not exactly the same for just any big stadium in any big city. what i was trying to say is that wrigley's magic goes beyond the purely visual, it's the history, the ambiance, the physical connection stretching across the previous century back to baseball's beginnings.

- it's the realization that you're watching baseball in 2008 on the same field that babe ruth played on.

- it's the fact that that your food options at wrigley are a hot dog or nachos, there ain't no creature comforts here, this is a ballpark, this place is all about beer and baseball, the two greatest things in the universe.

- it's the fact that when the game is over you drunkenly stumble through a vibrant, thriving, urban neighborhood, and not just some meager instant neighborhood that developed when they built the new ballpark downtown, but one that has been growing and developing along with its stadium for nearly a century.

- it's the fact that wrigley still uses a hand operated scoreboard instead of a 10 billion watt jumbo tron and a real stadium organ instead of crappy hair band rock from the 80s blasted over a shitty stadium sound system.

- it's the fact that wrigley's outfield wall employs natural growing ivy to protect players from crashing into it instead of vinyl covered gym mats that you see in most other ballparks.

- it's the bleachers. this place cannot be described with words.

- it's the roof tops on the buildings across sheffield and waveland. a game at wrigley is so big and important that even the other buildings in the neighborhood get in on the act.

- it's the fact that when i'm there, i'm cheering on my cubbies and knocking back several jugs of suds just as my great-grandfather used to do back in the early 20th century. that kind of history, that kind of connection to the past cannot be created, it can only come with the passing of the decades. america is a new nation relatively speaking, and chicago is even newer itself as a city, we don't have a lot of stadiums like wrigley left in america.

this isn't to say that wrigley is the only unique sports stadium in the world or the only one with a long history, but wrigley, along with fenway, is one of the singular classic american ballparks, and for that it's more special than just any big old stadium in any given big city. i urge you to visit chicago and to check this place out on a game day for yourself.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 5:01 PM

I have yet to see a game at Wrigley. I need to make this a priority. I was a baseball fanatic as a kid (Tigers fan), but I always wanted to check out a game at Wrigley.

I told my wife about this when I first moved to Chicago..........so she bought me tickets to watch the White Sox. Sigh. I didn't even get to enjoy that game, we got their in the 3rd inning because she wasn't ready, she made us leave in the 9th because the Sox were losing by 5, and she just sat and read a book the whole time. Double sigh.

But now I feel motivated. This summer, I will go to a game.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 6:17 PM

From just viewing the stadium on tv and in photos I think it's absolutely sensational. It's got some the main qualities I enjoy in a stadium. Although I'm not really a baseball fan, I'd love to visit it one day as well as Fenway Park in Boston.

Can anyone explain the story behind the stands on top of the adjacent buildings. I think it's a brilliant idea and adds to the uniqueness of the stadium. But does it cost money to sit there, does the money go back to the club, does the apartment building get a cut, etc.? I reckon it could be annoying for tenants to deal with people coming in and out of their building?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 7:23 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
Can anyone explain the story behind the stands on top of the adjacent buildings. I think it's a brilliant idea and adds to the uniqueness of the stadium. But does it cost money to sit there, does the money go back to the club, does the apartment building get a cut, etc.? I reckon it could be annoying for tenants to deal with people coming in and out of their building?
After years of acrimonious relations, both sides struck an agreement that entitles the Cubs to 17 percent of gross profits accrued by the owners. Recently, the Cubs have threatened to block the views of one recalcitrant owner refusing to pony up his share.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 2:36 AM
low life in a tall place

Thanks for the reply, Steely Dan. Nice post.
I can't wait to visit Chicago and Wrigley.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 6:00 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Steely Dan. Nice post.
I can't wait to visit Chicago and Wrigley.
Are you planning a visit to Chicago?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 12:17 PM
low life in a tall place

^^
Not really. But I can't wait to go!

A Swedish example on 'classic' sports venues, Stockholm Olympic Stadium was built for the 1912 Olympics and is today used by football club Djurgårdens IF. It is also located in the middle of an urban neighbourhood, and the stadium itself is quite nice architecture-wise as well.

Eniro.se

Wiki

Wiki

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture