HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 12:40 AM

I think it will produce winds of change. It's not so much that Winnipeg doesn't change, but that it changes very slowly. For example, it was just today that the Free Press featured many articles in its main section regarding transportation in the city of Winnipeg. Out on the streets today, people are talking about it. Assuming that the CMHR generates excitement (which I can't for the life of me think of one reason it won't), then it is sure to get people talking. If nothing else, it will open some eyes and get people thinking about new, modern design, which will hopefully be seen in future projects.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:07 AM
Back from the dead

A crowd attracts a crowd but unfortunately we live in a blue-collar city. That doesn't mean that we can't have the best , it just means that the economics don't work in our favour.

The CMHR is , as far as I can tell, meant to be a showpiece. In that I think it will be successful. Whether that translates into other examples of divinely inspired architecture is anybody's guess. Personally I'd have to agree that it certainly sets the bar higher. I just don't know if anybody building anything in this city cares where the bar is set in the first place.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 6:43 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I only have two words to describe those wonders:

Avant Garde.

HMR will definitely be in that class for sure.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 3:41 PM
ABOVE people like you

Keep Thinking Big

Some forumers are making it sound like this type of architecture and construction should not or does not get built in prairie cities. The new Edmonton / Alberta Art Gallery thats under construction at this time shares these similar architecture and construction concepts with the new Winnipeg MHR. I think these types of buildings will add some real world class flavour to both cities.

http://www.stoutarc.com/Projects/InProgress/EAG.htm#

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 4:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

don't forget the rcmp museum in regina

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 3:05 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-MAN View Post

Some forumers are making it sound like this type of architecture and construction should not or does not get built in prairie cities. The new Edmonton / Alberta Art Gallery thats under construction at this time shares these similar architecture and construction concepts with the new Winnipeg MHR. I think these types of buildings will add some real world class flavour to both cities.

http://www.stoutarc.com/Projects/InProgress/EAG.htm#
If you're referring to my post or any like it , I had maybe better clarify. It's not a case of 'should' or even 'do have'. It's that I don't know if the people doing the building are concerned with trying to match the quality of certain architecture anyway. We're really not a city that stands out for our superior taste in architecture which means there's little onus put on developers to exceed the standards already set. There are other examples of quality architecture all around the city but I wouldn't say that they've inspired much vision in surrounding buildings built afterwards.

I certainly hope the CMHR leads to more outstanding buildings though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 11:06 PM

I remember seeing all the different designs for the new CMHR, some were really good. I'm disappointed in the design they chose, it was the one I liked the least. I recall someone saying it looks like a big, balled-up wad of scotch tape, I have to agree. Perhaps the renderings don't do the design justice, maybe it will be perfectly lovely when it's finished. I find it odd that there were no local architects in the architectural design committee, not as far as I could tell anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong! This is the link to the page that lists all the people on the committee.

http://www.canadianmuseumforhumanrig...ion_stages.pdf

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 11:12 PM

are those rejected designs available to view online somewhere?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 11:54 PM

archiseek has them posted on his site. i actually quite liked the Saucier Perrotte design.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
archiseek has them posted on his site. i actually quite liked the Saucier Perrotte design.
Thanks for the link. The Saucier + Perrotte design was my favourite actually. Bold and clean, very nice. The winning design looks like some kind of weird futuristic church. I guess you have to build something outrageous looking to make people curious enough to want to go inside. That's probably why Toronto's ROM built that "crystal" extension (link below). People are bitching about it but they still want to check it out so I guess that makes it a success. Personally I think it looks like it was hit by an earthquake, but what do I know? Artists are apparently frustrated because all those crazy angles are making it difficult for them to display their works. It seems as though the architect was more interested in making a personal design statement than creating a proper space for displaying art.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/sto...l.html?ref=rss

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan