Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 4:52 PM
Eurosceptic

KANSAS CITY | New Arena Waits, and Waits

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/sports/16kc.html

Going to Kansas City? New Arena Waits, and Waits

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: March 16, 2008
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Shimmering glass panes cover the outside, more than 2,200 in all, reflecting sunlight and images of surrounding buildings like a huge upside-down crystal bowl.

Inside are dozens of flat-screen televisions around the concourses, oversized sinks and showers in the basketball locker rooms and an enormous smoker for the fans to enjoy Kansas City’s famous barbecue.

The new downtown Sprint Center is a world-class arena that has nearly everything. Only one piece is missing — and it may be the hardest to obtain.

“We’re just waiting on a team,” Brenda Tinnen, the Sprint Center’s general manager, said.

The $276 million Sprint Center opened Oct. 10 as part of an $850 million revitalization project in Kansas City’s Power & Light District.

The hope was events at the new arena would lure people back to downtown Kansas City, reinvigorating an area that has been deserted after dark for decades.

In all, the Sprint Center will have about 100 events its first year, including the Big 12 men’s basketball tournament, which is ending Sunday. It will is also be a site in the first two rounds of the N.C.A.A. tournament in 2009.

But for all the activity at the Sprint Center, it still lacks the financial foundation of an anchor tenant.

The arena can scrape by on concerts and Arena Football League games — the Brigade will play seven there this year — but an N.B.A. or an N.H.L. team means at least 40 guaranteed dates.

“The model seems to be pretty set in stone with owners A.E.G. being very successful and very comfortable, but I think over the long term we’re going to need a team to make the numbers work,” Kevin Gray, the president of the Kansas City Sports Commission and Foundation, said.

The N.H.L. seems to be Kansas City’s most likely candidate.

The Anschutz Entertainment Group is run by Philip Anschutz, the owner of the N.H.L. Los Angeles Kings and several teams in Major League Soccer.

But the problem is finding a team.

The Pittsburgh Penguins and the Nashville Predators flirted with Kansas City before deciding to stay in their current cities. The Florida N.H.L. teams have been on shaky financial ground, but no teams appear close to considering relocation.

Expansion, if it were to take place, would probably start in Las Vegas, with Canadian hockey hotbeds like Ontario and Quebec making hard pushes to land a franchise.

An N.B.A. team in Kansas City seems even less likely.

The Sonics are almost certainly headed out of Seattle, but they will probably end up in Oklahoma City.

The Kings may leave if a new arena is not built in Sacramento, but the team owners, Joe and Gavin Maloof, have strong ties to Las Vegas. And although the Hornets have struggled financially post-Katrina, N.B.A. Commissioner David Stern seems dedicated to making New Orleans work.

As for expansion, the N.B.A. seems more interested in creating a European division than adding teams in the United States.

“It’s a difficult proposition trying to lure a team,” said Andrew Zimbalist, an arena expert and economics professor at Smith College in Northampton, Mass.

The build-it-and-they-will-come theory has worked.

Nashville built a $156 million arena in 1996 and was awarded an N.H.L. expansion team two years later. St. Petersburg, Fla., opened the $110 million Sun Coast Dome in 1990 and landed baseball’s expansion Tampa Bay Rays, though it took eight years and $66 million in renovations to get it done.

New Orleans built an arena in 1999 and was able to lure the N.B.A.’s Hornets from Charlotte, N.C., in 2002.

Others have not had as much luck.

San Antonio opened the Alamodome in 1993 with hopes of landing an N.F.L. franchise. Although it was home to the N.B.A.’s Spurs for 10 years and will play host to the N.C.A.A. men’s tournament for the third time this year, plans for an N.F.L. team never materialized.

Des Moines; Little Rock, Ark.; and Omaha also have built professional-ready arenas. None have major tenants yet.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:41 PM

Oh my god, that last line kills me. Des Moines, Little Rock, and Omaha

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 8:57 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Kansas City has as much of a chance at landing a NHL team as Chester, Pennsylvania has at landing a professional team. Oh wait; oops.....

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Oh my god, that last line kills me. Des Moines, Little Rock, and Omaha
whats so funny? NO hornets. OKC hornets. green bay. San antonio. charlotte.jacksonville. buffalo. salt lake city. tampa bay. san jose, sacramento. and various other mid-sized canadian cities.

your just too cool school there LA. good luck getting that nfl team back.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus1 View Post
whats so funny? NO hornets. OKC hornets. green bay. San antonio. charlotte.jacksonville. buffalo. salt lake city. tampa bay. san jose, sacramento. and various other mid-sized canadian cities.

your just too cool school there LA. good luck getting that nfl team back.
with the exception of green bay, the cities that you mentioned are larger metro areas than little rock, omaha, and des moines.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 5:15 PM
Urban Advocate

Yeah, it's a tough call. I really want the Power & Light district to do well along with the new arena, but I can't see them getting an NHL or NBA team anytime soon.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:09 AM

We built the arena in Omaha to become the new home the Creighton Bluejays men's basketball team as well as the UNO Mavericks hockey team. It was also built to be able to compete for the NCAA basketball tournament, concerts, etc. I think possibly with some additions it could be professional-ready some 20-30 years maybe. I don't know though, Omaha is an amateur sports town and 2008 will be a landmark year for us and the Qwest Center. The 1st and 2nd round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, College World Series, US Olympic Swimmnig Trials (which is on track to become the most attended swimming event, including all Olympics, in History of the World!!! No joke.), NCAA women's bowling championships, NCAA Volleyball Final Four, and the list goes on and on. Name another city that could possibly match that.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:21 AM

We built our arena to become the new home of the Creighton Bluejays men's basketball team and the UNO Mavericks hockey team. I think that with some additions it could possibly be professional-ready in 20-30 years maybe. I don't think so though. Omaha is an amateur sports town and 2008 is going to be a landmark year for Omaha and the Qwest Center. Coming this year would be the 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, the College World Series, US Olympic Swimming Trials (which is on track to become the most attended Swimming event, including all Olympics, in the History of the World!! No joke.), NCAA women's bowling championships, NCAA volleyball Final Four, and countless other sporting events and what not. But name me another city that can top that list or even come close. That's impressive especially for a city of Omaha's size.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:26 AM
The People's Champion

Sucks, but that is the reality we face. While those of us with intelligence were screaming to build a downtown basball stadium since KC already has MLB, the city leaders built an arena for a team we may never get.

Not saying I don't like the Sprint Center, it is lovely, but I wish we could have had a downtown baseball stadium instead..

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 4:53 PM

Not going to steal my hometown's Predators away. That was probably KC's best chance, and they didn't try enough, or fast enough for that matter. Other than that, killer arena yall have, good lord!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 9:25 PM

I thought this arena was built to *not* require an (unrealistic) third pro sports team in KC. :/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 10:35 PM

It's maybe my favorite arena built since the American Airlines Center, but ask San Antonio about the harsh reality of building an arena/stadium in anticipation of pro tenant. Were it not for the several years the Spurs spent there, the Alamodome would be nothing short of a disaster. What's worse is even though it is only 15 years old, that is an eternity in the sports world and it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to get the Alamodome ready for an NFL team if one were to relocate to San Antonio. I hope that fate does not await the Sprint Center, but it does show the danger in building such venues without a permanent tenant. At least the Sprint Center can be a good concert venue until something comes along.

FWIW, it almost makes me cry to think about the Sonics leaving Seattle, but if they do leave, I wish they would go to Kansas City before Oklahoma City. I know that will never happen considering the Sonics' owner's ties to OKC, but KC would make a much, much better NBA city IMO and the arena is certainly light years better.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:08 AM
Urban Advocate

Maybe this will help: NBA group impressed by Oklahoma City’s bid to land SuperSonics

I had no idea they were courting the Sonics?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:51 PM

Oh yes they are indeed. The current owner lives in OKC and is really pressing to move them. I really see it happening. OKC deserves a pro team, the city is huge, almost 600,000 people, and one of the 5 largest in land area in the U.S.!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 7:28 PM
Never Dell

This isn't sour grapes, honestly, but OKC is very small for the NBA.

The population within city limits is irrelevant, and that population within such a huge area actually speaks poorly to its capability to support the team.

If they can though, more power to them. I'd like the Sonics to stay in Seattle, but it's not the end of the world if they leave, and I wouldn't have any hard feelings for OKC.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture