HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 9:18 PM

when it comes to Andres Andujar, sirking williams and sakyle are about as on the money as you can get! it really is a pleasure to know that he has joined our forum, and i must say that after i had seen his post yesterday morning i was pretty damn excited. he really is "the horses mouth" when it comes down to something he has stated; hell, i would bet my money on it and i know sirkin and sakyle would do it, too. welcome aboard my friend!

matt williams

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:16 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

did matt say bet?

ya, i'm ready to lay down the house payment.

-kyle

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 6:18 AM

Well, I just concidentally came back to visit Skyscraper page to find healthy discussion! Thanks for the words of encouragement! I thought you all might miss my comments becuase the last posting was from February, I think. But I sure enjoyed reading the discussion and the speculation.

OK, I'll try to respond to some of the questions here, forgive my lack of elegance, I'm a new user and you are teaching me as we go. First, don't be surprised if I'm wrong from time to time. I'm too optimistic, and sometimes that overextends me. So, don't bet too much money on m statements just yet!

The W deal isn't announced. The developer is working to close on the Kress and Jefferson/Houston Street parking lot. Current target date for closing is June 1. Anything can happen to postpone or kill the deal, but if all goes well and they close, first order of business is to sign with the the hotel chain. This isn't public knowledge, likely not good to say much more in this public forum about this subject... Waiting for the "Officially Announced" is smart at this time. I got approval for 27 stories at this site, regardless of the use or mix of uses.

I haven't seen anything on the Four Seasons. Many say San Antonio is not there yet, but the Watermark seems to be perfroming well. i can imagine a Four Seasons at the Rio Plaza site (the old Planet Hollywood). Located on Crocket Street - the Golden Street, with access to the River, and with an approved height of 300 feet, this is a luxurious site ready for an five star brand -- although the market may not be ready...

On the Golden Street, I've started calling Crocket that and it's starting to stick. The reason, besides the Watermark and the beauty of the small historic structures, is the story of South Bank. It sold last year for six cap, around $635/SF of structure, making it the alleged highest price piece of real estate in the State of Texas!

I haven't seen or heard of a Four Seasons in the River North area.

I saw a deal now fairly or totally dead for a Ritz and a Meridian at Martin/Convent/St Mary's and the River. That is an ideal site for redevelopment, and we have a concept that I'll post if I can figure out how to do that.

Darn it! Control V won't do it. Looks like I have to post it to a website. If anyone knows how to do that send me instructions or your email and i'll send you a screen capture of the San Antonio Google Earth 3D model we have built for our studies.

The height limit on Rio Plaza is 300 feet regardless of use.

Alexjon in Portland, what a city you have. Heavy rail through downtown, $2.50 to the airport, residential above retail, walking distance to work... I'm jealous. Pearl District was my main model for River North, and we are currently looking at national master planners to take the RN vision to new heights. One of the four shortlisted firms is the master planner for Pearl District, and their office is there in Portland. Exciting stuff.

I'm getting sleepy. Let me know if I failed to answer a question.

And by the way, this forum is the most energizing group I've chatted with about this subject in a long time. Keep up the excitement!

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 1:20 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Thanks for the info, Andres!!!

I hate to be so awed by a possibly real internet message boarder, but hey, we believe what we want right?

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 4:04 PM
James

It is very exciting to have Andres posting on here.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 4:17 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Pearl District was my main model for River North, and we are currently looking at national master planners to take the RN vision to new heights. One of the four shortlisted firms is the master planner for Pearl District, and their office is there in Portland. Exciting stuff.
andres - can you address your vision for River North a little more fully? What type of development (Pearl District?) can we look at to get a glimpse of the future for SA at RN?
And are areas for light rail stations in RN being considered in the planning?
Does the city keep light rail in mind when making these long-range planning decisions?
Do you see River North being the hub if high-rise urban living in SA as opposed to downtown or as a complement to downtown?

Thanks!

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:22 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresAndujar View Post
I saw a deal now fairly or totally dead for a Ritz and a Meridian at Martin/Convent/St Mary's and the River. That is an ideal site for redevelopment, and we have a concept that I'll post if I can figure out how to do that.
From looking at a map that seems to be the site talked about a few weeks ago where the owner has sat on it for about a decade or more and done nothing. It's three run down buildings and a large parking lot. The main building is 11 stories I believe white with red stripes and graffiti'd all over on one side.

If that's the site then that just burns even more knowing how lazy the owner is and unwilling to sell the properties to someone who wants to develop that area.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:53 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:30 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

A website should be started to document the progress of the River North District.

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 10:09 PM

We visited and studied many districts around the country before fully visuallizing the potential for River North. Pearl District in Portland http://explorethepearl.com/ was formerly a railyard. It has been in redevelopment for 10-15 years. Now Portland's best retail is there... Nice density, mid to high rise. Schools still a problem, so family with kids are harder to accomodate. Vancouver is the only city I know of that is building a brand new school in the inner city. Also Cotswald District in Houston, State Thomas in Dallas, Fort Worth, Denver, Philadelphia, San Diego, Chicago, LA, Pasadena, etc.

River North will accomodate future mass transit. Broadway is phase II of the rubber tire train system to be implemented from the Westside Multimodal Facility. The first phase is downtown up Frederisburg, Medical Center to UTSA. Phase II is downtown up Broadway to the airport, 281 to 1604.

This is in addition to the heavy rail plan from the Westside Multimodal (possibly as far south as City South, Tx A&M - to Austin and Roundrock.

The rubber tire train up Frederisburg is scheduled to be completed by 2012.

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 10:45 PM
James

What is the Rubber Tire Train? I've never heard of it.

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 10:55 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
What is the Rubber Tire Train? I've never heard of it.
I'm thinking its a form of BRT...Bus Rapid Transit. I could be wrong?

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^ It is BRT. You can go to VIA's website and they have a little info on it, if I remember correctly.

Google "BRT Eugene" and there are some decent articles and images about how this thing works and looks. Plus, BRT ca eventually become LRT (light rail), since the dedicated bus lanes can be converted to light rail lines.

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 1:31 PM

BRT is right. I'll stop calling it rubber tire. Sounds very low tech. Check out the "BRT" system in Bogota.

http://www.transmilenio.gov.co/trans...me_english.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio