HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 7:54 PM

I saw a reference to this building in a council agenda a few weeks ago, apparently it needs an amendment to the zoning because it is, get this, too tall for the present zoning. I can't remember if it was approved or if it has to go through the usual five or six month process for the amendment. Is there any wonder we need to fast track a municipal plan?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I saw a reference to this building in a council agenda a few weeks ago, apparently it needs an amendment to the zoning because it is, get this, too tall for the present zoning. I can't remember if it was approved or if it has to go through the usual five or six month process for the amendment. Is there any wonder we need to fast track a municipal plan?
I'm astonished that we have height limits outside of the heritage areas ... like seriously?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I'm astonished that we have height limits outside of the heritage areas ... like seriously?
You might ruin the view of Home Depot from Wal Mart

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 3:04 AM

interesting how the overall plans change and evolve from when it was first proposed. First it was mostly all retail now its a mix of retail and industrial.

Anyone know what are (i assume) other restaurants going next to Harveys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
New Office building and site plans for Hebron way. Note underground parking for the KMK Office building. In an industrial/shopping big box area. That's a step in the right direction.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 7:20 PM

I was under the impression this development was suppose to be a mix of retail and industrial all along.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 11:11 PM

Wow...I didn't realize so much of that space was already sold. That new office building seems similar to the re/max building there on Aberbeen Avenue by Princess auto. I still hate the land use design...look at how much is taken up by parking lots!

Does anyone know if that road will be extended anytime soon? I was under the impression Hebron Way would be extended to meet Majors Path?

Also, that traffic circle is going to be a nightmare. Most newfoundlanders have no idea what to do when encountering one of these things.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Oct 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 7:14 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...85292046_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...18577665_n.jpg

Another unknown building going up on Hebron Drive and lots of other construction activity across the street the from it too.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 8:33 PM

It'd be nice if they left a scatter tree or planted some instead of just having a these completely open parking lots...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 1:14 AM

LOL. Developers don't know anything of that concept of leaving trees up. They just plough every single tree under, even though they have plans and know exactly where all the roads and infrastructure is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
It'd be nice if they left a scatter tree or planted some instead of just having a these completely open parking lots...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 1:37 AM

Location: Edmonton,Alberta(work) St. John's, NL (where my heart is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Is this not the development that is being built on the former property of Fields Dairy Farm, across from where Best Buy and Rona are currently located? If so who in the HELL put stupid height restrictions in that part of town.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacednewfie View Post
Is this not the development that is being built on the former property of Fields Dairy Farm, across from where Best Buy and Rona are currently located? If so who in the HELL put stupid height restrictions in that part of town.
ummm...that is right next to the airport. I think height restrictions make a bit of sense.

edit: Height restrictions might also have something to do with water and getting sufficient pressure on higher floors. Fire fighting may also be another concern.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Oct 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
ummm...that is right next to the airport. I think height restrictions make a bit of sense.
This building surpasses the height restriction and it's only 4-5 stories high. That seems a bit too restricted to me, even for being next to an airport.

Last edited by statbass; Oct 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
This building surpasses the height restriction and it's only 4-5 stories high. That seems a bit too restricted to me, even for being next to an airport.
The city seems to have a default height restriction of 4 stories almost everywhere, perhaps they want to ensure they get a review of all developments, but this tends to delay all projects. I'm hoping that height restrictions will be raised in the new municipal plan.

In the meantime the Hebron Way development is not on any of the Airport runway approaches so height isn't a problem.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 12:59 PM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcoffey View Post
from that article:

Quote:
There's a proposal on the table for a large apartment building on Stavanger Drive in the east end of St.John's. Northern Property wants to put a 4-storey 71-unit building at 150 Stavanger Drive, not far from the box store commercial section. The zoning will have to be changed and a public hearing held to facilitate the project, but it's unlikely that council will turn down the applicant. The planning and housing committee says the overall objective of the municipal plan is to encourage development with higher densities in order to make better use of municipal infrastructure.
I think we might be witnessing developers dipping their toes in and seeing how council reacts to these modest but having to change the zoning proposals to see how they may react to things that would push the envelope more.
http://goo.gl/maps/6so44

This is the location according to google maps ... hey at least it's increasing density and mixing up the use in the area (even if it is only 4 floors and as I would expect, a suburban development)

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Northern Property wants to put a 4-storey 71-unit building at 150 Stavanger Drive,
I read that as "Northern Propertt wants to put a 71 story building at 150 stavanger drive" I was very excited and confused for all of 0.2 seconds

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 3:12 PM

I noticed that they have begun framing out some new buildings in Pleasantville. Anyone have any idea what these buildings are? Any renders?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam477 View Post
I noticed that they have begun framing out some new buildings in Pleasantville. Anyone have any idea what these buildings are? Any renders?
I'm pretty sure they are new apartment buildings. I saw an approval in the council agenda a couple of months back for 90(?) units and I figure that's it. Nothing else, no renders, no LUAR, nothing.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 8:25 PM

Thanks. Too bad, I’d like to see a more detailed master plan of Pleasantville as each phase is completed and as details are finalized on various components. For a development the size of Pleasantville that should go without saying.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam477 View Post
Thanks. Too bad, I’d like to see a more detailed master plan of Pleasantville as each phase is completed and as details are finalized on various components. For a development the size of Pleasantville that should go without saying.
Here, fill y'er boots!

http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/files/site_plan_1.pdf

This is from the Canada Lands Corporation page for the Pleasantville redevelopment. There's other good stuff on the page too about the styles recommended. Enjoy

http://www.clc.ca/properties/pleasantville

Sadly, the few things that have been built haven't adhered too closely to this plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's