HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 7:40 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Bad cops (not good ones) picking and choosing, and yet they still get their pensions paid..le sigh..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
LOL, he explained it... any cop who is so MAGA-brained that they would rather resign than work for a progressive mayor like Johnson, should probably not be on the force to begin with. If they are serious about their threat to resign, then they should just get it over with and the city will be better off. If the CPD is mostly good with a few bad apples, well, those are the bad apples!

The whole idea is that police swear an oath to protect and serve the community no matter whether they like their boss or not. Cops are free to vote however they wish and can hold any political opinion they want, it's a free country. I wouldn't have it any other way. But they don't get to hold the safety of the community for ransom when the democratic process doesn't go their way.
My exact thoughts. This is a threat, plain and simple. Imagine the response if CTU president Jesse Sharkey said there would be "blood in the streets" if their candidate didn't win.

Last edited by moorhosj1; Mar 28, 2023 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 8:55 PM

And Vallas almost instantly came out and blasted John C for this, saying it's a ridiculous thing to say. But oh hey "hE'S iN bEd WiTh FoP!!!!1"

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 8:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
My exact thoughts. This is a threat, plain and simple. Imagine the response if CTU president Jesse Sharkey said there would be "blood in the streets" if their candidate didn't win.
John Catanzana is a rancid piece of shit, there's no other way to frame it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
And Vallas almost instantly came out and blasted John C for this, saying it's a ridiculous thing to say. But oh hey "hE'S iN bEd WiTh FoP!!!!1"
He had to blast the comment specifically because of his past relationship with Cantazarra and the FOP (which overwhelmingly re-elected Cantazarra). It doesn't make him a stooge, but it raises questions that he did work as an unpaid advisor to FOP during contract negotiations and spoke alongside Cantazarra at an FOP event just last month.

The FOP offered to pay him as a consultant but he declined. I think it is fair to press him on this when the same guy is threatening "blood in the streets" if Vallas loses.

If Jesse Sharkey made that same threat and Johnson denounced it, I trust you would give him the same benefit-of-the-doubt you extend to Vallas.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 9:41 PM

Quote:
If Jesse Sharkey made that same threat and Johnson denounced it, I trust you would give him the same benefit-of-the-doubt you extend to Vallas.
Probably because Sharkey is funding Johnson's entire campaign.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 9:49 PM

Quote:
He had to blast the comment specifically because of his past relationship with Cantazarra and the FOP (which overwhelmingly re-elected Cantazarra). It doesn't make him a stooge, but it raises questions that he did work as an unpaid advisor to FOP during contract negotiations and spoke alongside Cantazarra at an FOP event just last month.

The FOP offered to pay him as a consultant but he declined. I think it is fair to press him on this when the same guy is threatening "blood in the streets" if Vallas loses.

John C is a complete dipshit. It's fair to press him, Vallas, etc...anybody who runs for office. But I also don't think it's right to paint Vallas in bed with FOP in the same way that Johnson is in bed with CTU.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 9:50 PM

This whole conversation about public employee unions highlights why they should have much less power. And why is FOP not allowed to strike but CTU is?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 9:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This whole conversation about public employee unions highlights why they should have much less power.
AMEN!

but it's too bad that we live in such an incredibly stupid world.

Well, maybe the world is ok, but the people living on it...... Holy Shit.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 29, 2023 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2023, 11:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Emerson Poll shows Vallas doing well and Emerson has a great track record.

https://emersoncollegepolling.com/ch...tion-for-mayor

Johnson is basically backing down from every policy he supported previously like massive new taxes and Defund the police. He knows he's in trouble.
the good news from that poll is that vallas is holding a slim +5 lead.

But the even better news is that brandon is strong with the under 35's while vallas is strong with the over 50s, and we all know how those two groups typically fare in terms of turnout.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 29, 2023 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 12:58 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
This whole conversation about public employee unions highlights why they should have much less power. And why is FOP not allowed to strike but CTU is?

LOL

Did you just ask why the police are not allowed to strike?!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
LOL

Most of us in the city have seen the police on "soft strike" following the Laquan McDonald events. We had the video released, the indictment and conviction, the resulting DOJ investigation, and ultimately the consent decree series of events from 2015-2019.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:16 PM

Quote:
LOL

Yes, neither should be allowed to strike. That was really my point.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
the good news from that poll is that vallas is holding a slim +5 lead.

But the even better news is that brandon is strong with the under 35's while vallas is strong with the over 50s, and we all know how those two groups typically fare in terms of turnout.
Also, Emerson pushed undecided voters for a choice and Vallas is up 53% to 47% overall.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 6:29 PM

Watched snippets from last night's debate.....

I don't see how last night's debate will push any voters into Johnson's camp. He struggled big time when pressed by the moderator to clarify acknowledge previous comments on police funding. And.... Once again.... He tried to play the racist card with Vallas. For Vallas's part, he avoided walking into the trap and pivoted to why Johnson isn't qualified because of his lack of experience.

I wish it wasn't so close in the polls, but I am cautiously optimistic Vallas can squeeze out a win.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 11:46 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Yes, neither should be allowed to strike. That was really my point.

I still take issue with that.

I'm not a big CTU fan. Not loving it when they go on strike. However, they should 100% have the right to strike.

The police?......yeah, not so much. Pretty stark difference between the two, and I don't think it needs to be explained....

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 11:49 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Most of us in the city have seen the police on "soft strike" following the Laquan McDonald events. We had the video released, the indictment and conviction, the resulting DOJ investigation, and ultimately the consent decree series of events from 2015-2019.

This gets back to Catanzara's juicy 'threat' that you'd have a huge number of officers resign should Johnson win. Can't word it better than ardecila did as to what an appropriate reaction to that (should it actually occur) would be. The only proper response would be: good riddance.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:29 AM

Quote:
I still take issue with that.

I'm not a big CTU fan. Not loving it when they go on strike. However, they should 100% have the right to strike.

The police?......yeah, not so much. Pretty stark difference between the two, and I don't think it needs to be explained....
I disagree. Education is obviously extremely important, and kids education should not be interrupted because of a union hissy fit.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:24 PM

The combination of Cantazzara's threat and this report on Betsy DeVos' pro-charter school PAC donating to Vallas (along with lots of other billionaires) has me back on the fence in this election. On the flip side, Johnson's entire campaign being funded by CTU and SEIU is very troubling.

The question seems to be coming down to [more charter schools, more police, ? taxes] OR [more public education, less police, more taxes]

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:11 PM
Cap ou pas cap?

A couple things to address your post. Vallas has stated he doesn’t plan to push for more charter schools. Vallas expanded selective enrollment school options when he was at CPS. He didn’t just push charter schools like a lot of people are saying, but advocated for school choice in a general sense (selective enrollment, magnet programs, charters, etc.) to give parents more options.

In the Sun-Times questionnaire (link below, #16), you can see Johnson and Vallas’ answers to “Do you believe Chicago Public Schools should remain a system of choice with selective enrollment, magnet and charter schools serving a significant share of students rather than neighborhood schools?” Johnson answered “No” to this question and there have been serious concerns that he would reduce or scrap selective enrollment schools. Selective enrollment schools are the best performing schools in the city and some of the best in the state. A vote for Johnson isn’t necessarily a vote to improve public education if he scraps or dismantled the best performing public schools (e.g. Lane Tech, Payton, etc.).

https://elections.suntimes.com/runoff-questionnaire/

Also, CPS massively improved during Vallas’ tenure. No public schools were closed, teachers got solid raises, student enrollment increased, the district had solid budgetary footing (the pension issue came after his tenure), and student performance measures increased across the board. Johnson and supporters paint his record as abysmal, but that’s not true from what I’ve seen and read.

Last edited by jboy560; Mar 31, 2023 at 5:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest