HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 1:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

CASABLANCA | Al-Noor Tower | 1,782 FT | 114 FLOORS

Saudi to build Africa's tallest skyscraper in Morocco

Quote:
Rabat (AFP) - A Saudi investor is to build Africa's tallest building in Morocco, with construction of the 114-storey tower to begin in June, the project's manager said on Friday.

The skyscraper in Casablanca will be 540 metres (1,782 feet) high, taller than the 223-meter Carlton Centre in Johannesburg which currently holds the title for tallest building on the continent.

"It will be Africa's highest tower," project manager Amede Santalo said.

It will be built by the Dubai-based Middle East Development LLC, owned by Saudi businessman Sheikh Tarek Binladen, and will cost an estimated $1 billion (800 million euros), he added.

The project's working title is the "Al-Noor Tower" (Tower of Light in Arabic), but it is expected eventually to be named after King Mohamed VI.

"We chose Morocco because it is the gateway to Africa and Europe, a modern country and politically stable," Santalo told AFP.

The tower is due for completion in June 2018.

"The hight of the tower is 540 metres to remind us that Africa has 54 countries. Everyone in Africa will feel part of that tower," the project's website says.

It will have 114 floors -- the number of surahs or chapters in the Koran -- and the facade will be covered by patterns representing Africa's 1,000 languages.

It will be built on a 25-hectare (61.77-acre) plot and will include a seven-star hotel, a business centre and a shopping mall.

Casablanca, Morocco's commercial hub, already hosts the world's tallest minaret at 210 meters, at the Hassan II mosque.

The world's tallest tower is in Dubai, the 828-metre Burj Khalifa, which opened in January 2010.
Quote:
Symbolic in nature, Al Noor Tower’s facade is designed as a pixilated representation of Africa’s 1000 languages, while its 114-floors reflect the amount of chapters found in the Quran.

“The design of Al Noor Tower is elegant and gives the feeling of a wedding dress,” states the project’s website. “From the side the tower look like a fountain pen which is the tool that Sheikh Tarek is using to design the future. The height of the tower is 540-meters to remind us that Africa has 54 countries. Everyone in Africa will feel part of that tower.”
==============================
http://www.archdaily.com/578880/valo...tallest-tower/
http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-build-af...150831181.html

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 2:12 AM

I'm not exactly thinking "Here's looking at you, kid." either with the design or the choice of city.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:24 AM
Editor

Pretty crazy looking tower. It doesn't really fit the surroundings though.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:16 PM

Cool looking tower. But location seems random. This actually would fit in better if it was built in Dubai.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Tower now has an official site for it: http://www.alnoortower.com/

Some renderings from the site:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Starts at the 25 second mark:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 7:03 AM

I know the height is fantastic. But, maybe it's the hour of the night that is making me yawn. It just looks so "predictable". What I mean is, this looks like another "Dubai in the sky" skyscraper. But what I cringe at, is that heliport. (Perhaps I've watched too many Irwin Allen disaster movies) but I wouldn't want to be the pilot landing a helicopter on that pad sticking out so close to the building. I smell catastrophe (Besides it takes away from the flow of the building & it looks like a hang nail.)

But overall, the atrium, the terrace planters, etc. and the façade is unique. That I like. The spires and that giant diamond at the top says something.
What it says? I'm not sure yet. Maybe symbolism? Who knows?
Gosh, I sound bitchy.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 4:57 PM
DENNAB

It's not that bad, kind of seems like a pipe dream though.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Right now they are looking for land or a site. Info on the site should arrive in the next 60 days. The website though is very elaborate. Probably up there as the best I've seen in a while for a single project. Usually you get some teaser sites with limited info, but this looks like it had some money put into it.

Normally I would agree, but Sheikh Tarek Bin Laden is worth 13 billion, has a track record of producing and completing many projects in Dubai, and is one of the most respected arab businessman.

This will be financed with oil money, and its more of a status symbol. Kingdom Tower at one point was viewed as a pipedream, and now its rising. Casablanca is also a rich city with some wealth in it. Essentially its the economic capital of Morocco and for the European and African trade economy.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:41 PM

First I was surprised by the Egyptian plan to build a new capital, and now this. The tower doesn't look too bad, it seems in line with some recent proposals in the area. The rich Arab states seem to be trying to string together a nice little line of megatowers in their top cities.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nice one. Looks very clean.

"Round up the usual suspects"

MGM
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:49 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

The design looks amazing. I love it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 7:07 PM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive