HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 7:32 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Alberta Small Towns

Thought I would make a thread for this. There is a lot of small towns around the province. Perhaps not a lot happens but if we aggreggate the news. Some here have attachments to the many small towns. Towns I am attached to include Castor, Coronation, Delia, and Strome. My ancestors helped build these towns so it is interesting to me to follow their progress.

Latest news from Delia:

Delia sells out of $10 lots as small Alberta village looks to attract citizens

Quote:
The village of Delia, Alta., recently had a real estate boom.

The buying frenzy lasted just two days after the municipality decided to try to entice residents with $10 lots — ready and waiting for new homes — in order to cash in on the tax dollars that would surely follow.

"I wish they had done it when I bought my place out there," said Jeff Collins, a former CBC radio host and village councillor who still owns property in Delia.

The village was inspired to offer the serviced lots for a steal after sales faltered.
My parents went to the centennial celebrations for Delia I think last year. Saw a bit of the family re-unite there. Many of these small towns are trying to aggressively grow their communities instead of constantly watching them shrink as Alberta urbanises.

Last edited by Xelebes; Jan 9, 2016 at 11:40 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia