HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:09 PM

New Yorker with questions about Winnipeg

Hi. It seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here, so I wanted to ask a couple questions about Winnipeg (there's a chance I may be moving there).

What are the most "walkable" parts of town? I have heard Corydon and Osborne Village mentioned. Here in NYC I have never owned a car - I walk or take the subway, and would like to be able to have the option to "go across the street for a quart of milk."

Thank you for any advice you might have.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:18 PM
I am a typical

The obvious failure of your plan being that Canada doesn't sell milk by the quart.

You might like the Exchange District?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:22 PM

Good point. ;-)

Is the Exchange District accessible by bus?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 11:56 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

o
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycer View Post
Good point. ;-)

Is the Exchange District accessible by bus?
No there are plans for a streetcar to connect the Exchange District with the rest of downtown.

Problem is that the plans are 15 years old.

But Winnipeg is a step closer to reintroducing streetcars again... A group of people have had the vision to build a replica of #596 which was involved in the 1919 General Strike.

\
Source: buflyer200 collection on Flickr.com

Happy trails to you, my american friend.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:26 PM
Creative Accountant

We need some more information. First of all what is the range of rent and/or the price of the dwelling you want to purchase. Do you have a preference over condo, apartment or house? What part of town will you be working in?

Also, just for interest what brings you to Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:34 PM

I am sure I will be renting, not sure yet of budget (have yet to investigate the housing). The U of Manitoba is what would be bringing me... so I would want to live in an area that was relatively accessible.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:40 PM
Creative Accountant

If you are staying at the UofM, anything along Pembina or downtown would be good as that is on the major bus route to the University (#60). So you could live in Osborne Village, the East part of Corydon or pretty much anywhere down town and have an area of good walk ability and easy access to the bus system.

let us know if you need any more info.

Coming to teach or learn?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...77162&t=h&z=14

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Could you briefly describe Corydon and Osborne Village?

My partner may be teaching at the U of Manitoba.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:07 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:

Corydon is home to about a dozen different street side cafe's, Osborne is more of a retail street.

Both places are known to be home to $7 beers.

A bit ritzy for my own tastes..but they are the trendy hoods.

Just remember to sport a top hat, monocle, and a gold walking cane and you should be fine.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:27 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Don't let the squares ride you wrong. (Nobody pays $7 for beer, $6 for an import maybe... but sheesh man, you gotta go to the Hotel Fort Garry for those prices! I've never heard the Village described as ritzy. Hipsters and grandma's live side by side. Its a great place.)

For what its worth, I've also never owned a car while living in Winnipeg. Its not necessary.

Osborne & Corydon are indeed the places you want to be. Anywhere between Lilac/Stafford and Donald will provide about as urban a neighbourhood as this city can offer. The closer to Osborne or Corydon you are, the more life there is. There are lots of nightlife, grocery, transit and lifestyle options throughout those 'hoods. From pubs to wine bars and martinis, local clothing shops, walkable, great tree canopy, great restaurants.

The Exchange District would be ideal, but its not heavily populated yet and thus the ability to walk across the street for milk isn't possible. Its our Williamsburgh, but the critical mass isn't totally there yet. There aren't many rental options there right now either. If you can find a spot from afar, awesome. And given what you're used to paying in rent in NYC, The Exchange is probably easily within your budget.

Depending on what kind of pad you want, a liveable 1 bedroom apt in Corydon/Osborne will run you $550-$800 cdn/mo.

Other 'hoods mentioned:
Wolseley: more difficult from a transit perspective, unless you're close to Maryland Street where the 36 University Super Express will do a good job of getting you to the U of M quickly. Its a beautiful, alternative 'hood with good people, nice homes/apts, organic groceries, etc. But its also sleepy and a bit boring.

South Pembina If you live anywhere close to the University you will be surrounded by suburban banality, fast food joints, and shitty bars with shitty music (and the accompanying clientele). Pembina Highway is a bit of a wasteland that you'll have to travel en route to the U of M. I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 5:10 AM

Quote:

My partner may be teaching at the U of Manitoba.

If I may ask, a little off topic, what class is your partner going to teach? I will be attending the U of M this fall and maybe I'll be getting taught by them?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:48 PM

^They're both the 'trendy' areas of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:52 PM
Creative Accountant

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:01 AM

Thanks. I will check out the links.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:02 AM
Armchair urbanist

Winnipeg Transit link: http://winnipegtransit.com/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:04 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Thanks. I will check out the links.
The U of M itself is smack in the middle of the suburbs so don't get your hopes up about living like Jane Jacobs..

There's a couple of cool 60's style Eichler type homes around that area if that's what your into.

Osborne / Corydon are good bets..If you fancy more of a hippy dippy type neighbourhood try Wolseley.

I was at a show once put on by Frank Zappa's bandmates and they described our North End as the Brooklyn of the North..

The Exchange District (Our Warehosue district) is in my mind the best part of the city to live in, and for a block or two might even remind you of New York City..but it's a bit pricey.

A lot further away from anything, but if you want real midwestern living in a ranch themed bungalow Transcona is probably the place to do it.

Based on what you described I would probably go with Osborne Village. That seems to me at least, what you would like the best in terms of character neighbourhood with decent walkability.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:07 AM

If you are working at Uman anywhere in crescentwood is very central and easy to get down to the uofm.

there is an express bus on stafford avenue when you are looking at the map, it goes directly to uman with minimal stops along the way.

by car its easy too.

THE area to live in Winnipeg for now and the future:

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF...fff085e6a8b292

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:17 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Lastly..

In my humble view..if you want to live in an authentic Chicago styled hood filled with hundred year old homes on the cheap try Scotia Heights.

The neighbourhood is very leafy and green, it's safe..and it is yet to be spoiled by metrosexuals and hippies.

Everyone who lives there is "normal".

Very affordable to live in..(I have a friend who runs a gas station who was able to buy a home here)..

And it's close to a major city park (Kildonan Park), the river..and is about 10 mins from downtown.

Bus service is pretty good too in that end of town.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:20 AM

No gold-plated walking canes over here ;-)
I appreciate the map - you all are very helpful.
As I live in an apartment right now in NYC, I might be a little overwhelmed by a ranch-themed bungalow.

I guess one of the most important factors for me is bus service/walkability, as it might take a little while to get a Canadian drivers license and buy a car.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:23 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
No gold-plated walking canes over here ;-)
I appreciate the map - you all are very helpful.
As I live in an apartment right now in NYC, I might be a little overwhelmed by a ranch-themed bungalow.

I guess one of the most important factors for me is bus service/walkability, as it might take a little while to get a Canadian drivers license and buy a car.
It probably won't be hard to make the change to driving in Canada.

Most people here drive like old farmers..straddling two lanes while doing 20 under..

The hardest part if you ask me, will be winter driving in this part of the world. It's something you are probably ill prepared for.

It can get to be -49F here..That's right!

Wikipedia it and see if i'm lying, we're the coldest city on Earth baby! Only the strongest survive..none of that prissy NYC winter with a couple of flakes of snow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan