HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I don't think they have to fireproof that truss, since it's no longer a functional structural element. If they had, the fireproofing material would have given it a very rough, crude texture, not at all eye-pleasing. I saw that they painted it a while back and I believe that gray color is the final product.

Still wondering when they're going to complete the marquee above the Chestnut St restaurant entrance. They did a wonderful job with the etched Art Deco glass* above, but the cartoonish, flat 3D-ish painted depiction of neon on the marquee has got to go. Then again the restaurant is running a bit late as well, to have opened Fall 2018.

* Link to post about the local artist who reproduced the Boyd's Art Deco windows: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...2686787353295/
Hum. Not a fan. It looks disjointed to me. Still a great project. Yes, I hope to see the marquee finished soon. Not sure when Tatel will finally open or even if it's definitely a go there at this point. I hope so. I liked the Miami one when I was there.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:

Still wondering when they're going to complete the marquee above the Chestnut St restaurant entrance. They did a wonderful job with the etched Art Deco glass* above, but the cartoonish, flat 3D-ish painted depiction of neon on the marquee has got to go. Then again the restaurant is running a bit late as well, to have opened Fall 2018.

* Link to post about the local artist who reproduced the Boyd's Art Deco windows: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...2686787353295/
At the end of the article the artist is quoted as saying the current marquee is indeed TEMPORARY.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 6:03 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
At the end of the article the artist is quoted as saying the current marquee is indeed TEMPORARY.
Yes I know, and we're praying that she is correct about that. The temporary fake neon signage has been in place for over 9 months now.

I was by there an hour ago and peeked in through the crack of the plywood door. There are a few work-lights on, but no workers visible and too dim to see much. Didn't appear to be a fitted out restaurant space yet though. And there's still a small banner for Tatel "Coming Fall 2018."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 6:26 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Hum. Not a fan. It looks disjointed to me.
Are you talking about the truss? It goes without saying, if I had my druthers it would still be hidden from sight, supporting the balcony of a restored, repurposed grand movie palace, but since that ship has already sunk, I look at the truss now in a new light. And despite its odd placement (or because of that), it's certainly a unique touch and a conversation piece that distinguishes The Harper from other contemporary condo towers.

As I commented last year: "While it doesn't really mitigate my sadness at the loss of the Boyd, I've been pretty excited about the truss. I think it's a beautiful thing and serves to elevate the collaborative work of the Boyd's architects, engineers and ironworkers to a true sculptural work of art, and makes for a wonderful tribute to those who built our city."

Last edited by Jayfar; Mar 27, 2019 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 6:48 PM

Found this pic of the old Boyd marquee at an exhibit in 2018 at the Free Library. Forgot to take a pic of the capture... guessing late 50s/early 60s.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Found this pic of the old Boyd marquee at an exhibit in 2018 at the Free Library. Forgot to take a pic of the capture... guessing late 50s/early 60s.
More likely early to mid 50s. That film was originally released in 1952, and the clothing and hairstyles look to be from that period:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Cinerama

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:02 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Thanks for that and it was a Bulletin photo from Saturday, Dec 5, 1953. Here's the link to the Free Library's zoomable digital copy with the descriptive info:

https://libwww.freelibrary.org/digital/item/65433

Item Info
Item No: pdcp01097
Title: Boyd Theatre, 1953
Historic Street Address: 1910 Chestnut Street
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:
Verso: Cinerama - December 5, 1953: A part of excited throng of Philadelphia School children who attended a special Saturday morning show of "This is Cinerama" made possible to them at a reduced price in cooperation with the Board of Education.

This 1953 photograph from the Evening Bulletin shows a crowd in front of the Boyd Theatre, attending a publicity screening of "This Is Cinerama.” Keeping up with advances in filmmaking techniques, the Boyd was the only Philadelphia theater at the time able to show movies in Cinerama--a new panoramic widescreen process, developed in the 1950s. The Boyd continued to screen Cinerama features until 1963.

The venerable Boyd Theatre was opened in 1928, the largest of the Philadelphia movie palaces of that era. It outlasted all the others of its kind in Philadelphia, closing in 2002.

Creation Year: 1953
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.951739
Geocode Longitude:-75.172390

Creator Name: The Evening Bulletin

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:46 PM

love that photo....

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
love that photo....
Shows that whatever the era, kids will be kids.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about the truss? It goes without saying, if I had my druthers it would still be hidden from sight, supporting the balcony of a restored, repurposed grand movie palace, but since that ship has already sunk, I look at the truss now in a new light. And despite its odd placement (or because of that), it's certainly a unique touch and a conversation piece that distinguishes The Harper from other contemporary condo towers.

As I commented last year: "While it doesn't really mitigate my sadness at the loss of the Boyd, I've been pretty excited about the truss. I think it's a beautiful thing and serves to elevate the collaborative work of the Boyd's architects, engineers and ironworkers to a true sculptural work of art, and makes for a wonderful tribute to those who built our city."
Yes, the truss. I like the element itself, though I think it would look better and harmonize better with the building (but still be distinctive) if it was the same color as the window framing as in the renders. But it's a small complaint. Overall, I like this building a lot even tough the loss of the Boyd was sad.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 2:59 PM

From the PhillyByDrone guy.

http://phillybydrone.com/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 12:47 PM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 1:36 PM

This is excellent addition to Center City.

Pearl Properties produces nice developments.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 4:49 PM

The exposed truss at the 19th Street entrance has now been painted black just as in the renders. I am pleased! It looks WAY better.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 9:13 PM
Midrise

Quote:
The exposed truss at the 19th Street entrance has now been painted black just as in the renders. I am pleased! It looks WAY better.
Interesting. Maybe the gray was just a primer coat. Were you able to see whether they repainted the indoor portion as well?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Maybe the gray was just a primer coat. Were you able to see whether they repainted the indoor portion as well?
Couldn't tell as to the inside.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:10 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Don't know if anyone has posted this rendering yet

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 3:21 PM

^^^^
That's nice. It's a whole different look then what I remember had been presented.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 8:23 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Couldn't tell as to the inside.
I've since had a better look from sitting up high in a passing bus; yes, it's painted black inside as well.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
I've since had a better look from sitting up high in a passing bus; yes, it's painted black inside as well.
Yeah, when I walked by today I saw that as well. They are also painting the exterior wall of the Elle Lauri black.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive