HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:59 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I know what you mean. Within Canada I guess we would be considered "medium sized", perhaps on a world-scale we are still a "small" city.

I'm not even sure what these labels mean any more. I think it used to be that "small city" meant a city with few amenities, but realistically that doesn't describe Winnipeg any more (though it may describe it's perception).

I also wonder about labels like "working class". Winnipeg has been called a "working class" city at times, but what does that really mean? If it reflects the number of head offices there may (or may not be) in a city, then yeah, I guess it's "working class". Trouble is, like "small city", a label like "working class" is often seen as a slight epithet to mean "low class' or "no good enough".

As far as annoying labels go, I couldn't tell you the number of times I have choked internally when someone has told me Regina is a "big city". I understand people having civic pride, but come on, people!
Yeah I understand. It can be common for perceptions to form especially when they never know Winnipeg on a deeper level.

I guess the "working class" myth comes from Winnipeg's strength, manufacturing.

Yes Winnipeg makes buses. But few outsiders know New Flyer sells buses to the United States prominently.

Yes Winnipeg "farms", but Winnipeg doesn't do "hobby farming". The agricultural scene here is probably global. U of M's agricultural faculty is very competitive. Richardson has been there for a century already.

Yes Winnipeg also makes farming equipment, but that doesn't mean only "tractors". MacDon has its own global business.

And there is Boeing. And now our tec sector is coming up. So yeah, "small" tag can go away. Did someone mention Winnipeg was Canada's only solid manufacturing base?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Yeah I understand. It can be common for perceptions to form especially when they never know Winnipeg on a deeper level.

Did someone mention Winnipeg was Canada's only solid manufacturing base?
I think it's mentioned, but it's difficult to hear it over the "Winnipeg is crime city/Winnipeg is brutal winter cold & summer mosquitoes" chatter that won't go away.

I think one of the hardest jobs that the city and the province has is changing this perception. It's certainly helped with the recent enthusiastic endorsements by a number of international tourism publications, but that news never seems to be recognized in the rest of Canada. I wish I knew the solution, other than to keep hammering home the message "we're a great city/province".

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 10:16 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
I think it's mentioned, but it's difficult to hear it over the "Winnipeg is crime city/Winnipeg is brutal winter cold & summer mosquitoes" chatter that won't go away.

I think one of the hardest jobs that the city and the province has is changing this perception. It's certainly helped with the recent enthusiastic endorsements by a number of international tourism publications, but that news never seems to be recognized in the rest of Canada. I wish I knew the solution, other than to keep hammering home the message "we're a great city/province".
Maclean’s did a research and ranking on Canadian cities crime activity level. Winnipeg ended up like 45th or something close, while Edmonton and Vancouver have higher positions.

Lol perception vs. reality, when reality is in this case much better than perception

Likely it’s not every one who wishes to believe in these superficial claims. Progress says everything. And it’s funny that while people think winter is cold here, a tropical garden is now under construction

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Maclean’s did a research and ranking on Canadian cities crime activity level. Winnipeg ended up like 45th or something close, while Edmonton and Vancouver have higher positions.

Lol perception vs. reality, when reality is in this case much better than perception

Likely it’s not every one who wishes to believe in these superficial claims. Progress says everything. And it’s funny that while people think winter is cold here, a tropical garden is now under construction
But Macleans would never make a big deal out of that story

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
But Macleans would never make a big deal out of that story
Very true. McLean's can't be faulted for pointing out problems when they occur, and their exposure has certainly acted as a catalyst for change in some cases (taking a hard look at racism in Winnipeg I feel is one example). However their fondness for simplistic labelling and their overall tone preachy self-righteousness make them a difficult read for me.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Very true. McLean's can't be faulted for pointing out problems when they occur, and their exposure has certainly acted as a catalyst for change in some cases (taking a hard look at racism in Winnipeg I feel is one example). However their fondness for simplistic labelling and their overall tone preachy self-righteousness make them a difficult read for me.
See I thought that's exactly what they did with the whole racism thing which was cherry picked and a half and I felt based on shoddy research. I've always found macleans to be a little too sensationalist, not that anyone else is much better, but they unfairly singled out winnipeg for a problem that was quite clearly not unique to us.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:44 PM

That was the point of Buzzg's post. They cherry picked the racism thing and blew it up. While the story that puts Winnipeg in a better light was not discussed because it wouldn't get any clicks.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That was the point of Buzzg's post. They cherry picked the racism thing and blew it up. While the story that puts Winnipeg in a better light was not discussed because it wouldn't get any clicks.
Yes, they definitely chose the worst examples they could find, and ignored the good in the city. However, racism can be so difficult to recognize that, in this case, I think it actually helped to stimulate a necessary conversation. A "racist" often isn't just the skinhead with a swastika carved into his skin, but the well-dressed, well-educated person who privately believes that every Indigenous person they see is a drunk/a panhandler/lazy and/or dangerous somehow. If the article helped some people do some sober self-assessment of their perceptions, it helped, despite it's sensationalism.

That being said, McLean's does ignore the good news stories in favour of it's sensational labels.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 7:16 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Yes, they definitely chose the worst examples they could find, and ignored the good in the city. However, racism can be so difficult to recognize that, in this case, I think it actually helped to stimulate a necessary conversation. A "racist" often isn't just the skinhead with a swastika carved into his skin, but the well-dressed, well-educated person who privately believes that every Indigenous person they see is a drunk/a panhandler/lazy and/or dangerous somehow. If the article helped some people do some sober self-assessment of their perceptions, it helped, despite it's sensationalism.

That being said, McLean's does ignore the good news stories in favour of it's sensational labels.
It sure did start a conversation but did it at the expense of our reputation. It was incredibly irresponsible to present it the way they did and it was done with flippant disregard to everyone involved. Just the title of the piece alone seemed totally malicious, as though someone on the editorial board really had beef with us. It was a huge slap in the face for the city, the vast majority of whose citizens are not racist at all. Theres literally no way to quantify how racist a city is, so basically it was just anecdotal drivel.

I'm pretty sure that it just served to irritate everyone and drive a wedge into the population. Really unfair to just make blanket generalizations like that and preach it as gospel truth

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 8:17 PM

Sensationalism is the way today. Boring stories don't get the clicks for ad revenue.

Like when Global News posted the image of Thelma Krull's skull because "it was relevant to the news" blah blah blah. Like why do you need to post that? The article already said they found her skull. I think most people can visualize that. Global didn't back down and got lit up for it on the internets.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:21 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sensationalism is the way today. Boring stories don't get the clicks for ad revenue.

Like when Global News posted the image of Thelma Krull's skull because "it was relevant to the news" blah blah blah. Like why do you need to post that? The article already said they found her skull. I think most people can visualize that. Global didn't back down and got lit up for it on the internets.
Lol and that's assuming that it was actually her skull

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 10:15 PM

From all accounts it was legit. The photo was taken by the person who found the skull at the time it was found. They then led the press to the site after police were done, but prior to them announcing it was Thelma.

There was actually an announcement back in October or something about remains being found. It wasn't until after testing it was determined to be hers..

Sorry for being off topic.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 8:19 AM

Those views!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqeaG5-jSHD/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Brflscbjpdp/

390 On the River Condominiums (@390ontheriver) on Instagram

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Those views!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqeaG5-jSHD/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Brflscbjpdp/

390 On the River Condominiums (@390ontheriver) on Instagram
Wow, nice place, would liked to have seen a warmer palate for the floors but other then that nice. And the views are amazing. Pictures like THIS are what people should focus on, how many cities have such a nice river system and a green forest of trees like winnipeg. That alone makes me glad i stayed here.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:24 AM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:46 PM

^ Great picture!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:40 PM

ill take 7 more of those for downtown please

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 10:15 AM

390 assiniboine

when its foggy out there
0 ps

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 4:39 PM

My friend went to look at condos here yesterday. Apparently they've only sold 11/90 units. Two of them being the combined penthouse. SCU is offering ZERO CMHC insurance at any down payment rate, 35 year mortgages with no interest premiums, and willing to bargain on prices to get these units sold.

He said the building was absolutely stunning. Even the cheapest units at around $350k were gorgeous – huge windows, granite, high end appliances etc. All the amenities are shared between everyone, when normally the top-level people would have their own common areas in bigger cities (apparently). He said even the parkade was beautiful, that no detail was left out here. The walk down to the river from the deck was amazing, people skating on it.

He said it's a little out of his price range, but that they seemed pretty open to low-ball offers, so will see what happens.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 1:13 AM

I'm not surprised they have sold very few condos. When the prices were announced on here awhile ago I commented that it was pretty expensive for the Winnipeg market. Sure, the finish is great so I guess that would justify it somewhat, but for 350,000 people can buy a decent sized home with far greater square footage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan