HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 1:43 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind...ferris_wh.html

Plan calls for Dubai Ferris wheel to be larger than Staten Island attraction

By Tracey Porpora
February 14, 2013
As long as Staten Island gets into the record books, I'm content.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 1:50 AM
Mr. Technology

It's not too late to change plans and upgrade the size of the wheel.

Let's go for 1,500 feet and call it a record.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 5:14 PM
New Yorker for life

The Staten Island wheel would be tall enough, and the planned Dubai Wheel wouldn't be that much taller. It would make no sense to try and go higher. The difference between the two is that one is in New York, the other isn't. The people who would make the trip to New York, and sail accross the harbor on the ferry to see and ride the wheel aren't the same people who will make the trip to Dubai to do the same thing. And everyone else is getting a wheel, let Dubai have one! It takes nothing away from what's happening here.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1265536

Dubai proposes Ferris wheel taller than planned Staten Island wheel;
would be completed before NYC attraction

The 688-foot record-setting wheel would beat the proposed 630-foot New York Wheel on Staten Island's North Shore and would be completed earlier in 2015.

By Michael Walsh AND Jonathan Lemire
February 15, 2013

Quote:
The Dubai Eye will rise 68 stories - 688 feet — once completed, 58 feet taller than the wheel planned for Staten Island, overlooking New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty.

It had been a point of pride at City Hall that the New York Wheel would be the world’s biggest. But if they were disappointed by the news from Dubai, local officials did not show it.

"We never entered into this without assuming that someone was going to try to build a bigger wheel," New York Wheel CEO Richard Marin insisted.

Although construction of the New York Wheel is not scheduled to start until next year, officials involved in the project said they have no intention of going back to the drawing board.

Trying to outdo Dubai would put the New York Eye behind schedule and over its $250 million budget, they said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 5:30 PM

I don't think the Dubai wheel would be as profitable, but we'll see.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 5:30 PM
BANNED

The Dubai wheel is logical. For a place that loves superlatives and man made attractions, I wouldn't expect anything less. I have the utmost confidence that they will get their wheel built. You may not see it as profitable, but keep in mind Dubai sits beside one of the new tigers of Asia, India, with a huge and growing middle class who are just dying to travel to tourist cities like Dubai and spend their new wealth on cute things like wheel rides and theme parks. Not to mention the one of the biggest airline networks in the world (Emirates) and hubs to funnel people to its attractions.

Last edited by aquablue; Feb 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 5:51 PM
Everywhere all at once

Oh so it's gonna be like that? If they'll make theirs 688 feet, so I say we make ours 700 feet, and finish it by New Year's Eve 2014, and they can kiss our collective ass. That's what I say we do.

In all seriousness though, even if they pull a stunt like that, ours will still be the tallest in the United States, North America, and the Western Hemisphere. Not too shabby.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:50 AM
Mr. Technology

What's wrong with 1,500 feet?

Is my proposal too tall for Staten Island?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:53 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Oh so it's gonna be like that? If they'll make theirs 688 feet, so I say we make ours 700 feet, and finish it by New Year's Eve 2014, and they can kiss our collective ass. That's what I say we do.

In all seriousness though, even if they pull a stunt like that, ours will still be the tallest in the United States, North America, and the Western Hemisphere. Not too shabby.
We should do nothing. Dubai always wants to have the biggest philic object just to prove the world that it has just as much cojones as the great urban centers of the world. NYC has already proven its worth and does not need to compete. Let the boom cities of the East copy off the West when they could be perfecting what they had started as great civilizations.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 5:33 AM

Casesar's, in Las Vegas, currently has the tallest ferris wheel under construction in the U.S., as part of their Linq project, some 500+ feet (don't know the exact measurement), but they'll only briefly enjoy that ego trip until the wheel on Staten Island is built.

I'm stumped as to why Caesar's didn't plan for a much higher wheel here!

No point in competing with Dubai anymore, it's an exercise in futility!

What we could do, though, is attempt to build the most exciting low-rise project in the world, and when I saw that low-rise Calatrava-designed Milwaukee Museum on Lake Michigan, I was as wowed as seeing a tall skyscraper!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 5:43 AM

I have a feeling that Dubai would even build a 1000 ft wheel if somebody tried to challenge it to a d**k measuring contest.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 6:05 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
What's wrong with 1,500 feet?

Is my proposal too tall for Staten Island?
Can't do that. Well actually they CAN do it, but it's not feasible. It would go over budget to make it 100 feet taller and it would go off schedule, as the developer states. There's another thing the developer states, the Dubai Eye won't have something the SI Wheel will, and that's a view of the greatest city in the world.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 6:15 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
There's another thing the developer states, the Dubai Eye won't have something the SI Wheel will, and that's a view of the greatest city in the world.
Not only will we have the greatest view of the greatest city, but Staten Island will host this historic wheel.

I just hope that the development surrounding the wheel will be equally as impressive.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:18 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Not only will we have the greatest view of the greatest city, but Staten Island will host this historic wheel.

I just hope that the development surrounding the wheel will be equally as impressive.
It actually doesn't have to. I've noticed that if beauty is surrounded by ugliness it makes the beauty standout more. But why take the risk. Put it'll mostly be parking and other waterfront related concourses.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 3:34 PM
New Yorker for life

As I've said, the Staten Island Wheel is tall enough. It's the height that it is for various reasons, and there's no point in trying to make something taller just because someone else wants to build taller. Plans have to be set, or nothing will ever get built. This wheel makes sense for New York, a number one tourist destination. Most people who visit this wheel will never see or visit Dubai. And, as I've said, they're building these types of attractions in a lot of places, surely they can build one in Dubai. The NY Wheel is in part thanks to Dubai...

Quote:
Not coincidentally, the New York Wheel’s design mirrors that of the original plans for the Dubai Eye, which has been in the works for some time, but had fallen short of any concrete plans until recently.

“When we first engaged with the designers, we effectively bought the Dubai wheel plans in the sense that they had done a lot of work on it already and Dubai had pulled the plug on it,” said Marin, who noted “tweaks” have since been made to the plans. “We could make a fairly quick process of getting going by using something that had already been designed.”
http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind...ferris_wh.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
There's another thing the developer states, the Dubai Eye won't have something the SI Wheel will, and that's a view of the greatest city in the world.
Word!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 6:20 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

10:08 AM
Site Tests Begin For World's Largest Ferris Wheel
By: NY1 News

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...t-ferris-wheel

Quote:
The first steps are being taken towards the construction of the world's largest ferris wheel on Staten Island.

The city Economic Development Corporation says crews are drilling into the ground to determine how strong the foundations at the site will have to be.

Just steps away from the St. George Ferry terminal, the so-called "New York Wheel" will take riders as high as 60 stories.

© 1999-2013 NY1 News and Time Warner Cable Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:11 AM

Expect weekly picture updates from me if this thing gets built.

My bathroom window would face it, with those two apartment buildings and the landmark castle-esque High School in between.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:17 AM
Mr. Technology

In Mayor Bloomberg's state of the city address, he did mention the NY Wheel as the tallest ferris wheel to be built on Staten Island.

I really like this mayor and hope that future mayors continue the tradition of building and investing in the city of New York.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Expect weekly picture updates from me if this thing gets built.
We'll expect weekly, and sometimes daily pics when this is under construction. It should rise dramatically.

http://statenisland.ny1.com/content/...l--outlet-mall

Quote:

"They're testing the ground to see if it's going to sustain, if they have to add any land or sand or soil to it," said one onlooker. "But at least they're taking the proper steps."

"I'm still skeptical," said another onlooker. "I mean, I'll believe it when I see it."

The New York City Economic Development Corporation says the drilling is part of preliminary work that is necessary to ready the land for construction. This geo-technical testing is meant to determine how strong the foundations will have to be.

Drilling began on Monday and work crews said it should take about two weeks to fully test 48 separate spots on the land where the proposed Ferris wheel and outlet mall are to be built.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
We'll expect weekly, and sometimes daily pics when this is under construction. It should rise dramatically.
I wonder if it will be built like the London Eye, ie horizontally and partially over water first. At 688' The New York Eye is 245' taller than the 443' Eye and in a somewhat similar awkward location (jammed between water and infrastructure/buildings), although it does have quite a bit more wiggle room with the parking lot area. Looks like it's approximately 450' from the Staten Island 911 Memorial to Richmond Terrace, or water to road, based on my unscientific Google Map measurements. But if they are definitely putting it right next to the water and do build it horizontally first, it will have to be out over the water. Any engineers here know why the London Eye or other Ferris Wheels are built horizontally first? I have my guesses but I'm just a lowly graphic designer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects