HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Uh nope, thanks for missing the point by a country mile. Then again seeing your responses on here, that's par for the course...
Actually I think you guys are missing the point.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yeah, actually a solid argument could be made that it's your view that's racist.

Points-based system -> lots of Chinese and Indians HAPPEN to qualify

vs

We start selecting our immigrants by assigning nonzero value to their race (to get something that's "more equal")

... seems obvious to me that the second one can be considered "racist", the former one no.
Now that was racist.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:05 AM
recession proof

Maybe India and China need more "whites" to reflect global demographics according to Luisito's logic.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's a lot like the Ivy League university admissions in the US. In the early 1900's they tried to suppress Jewish admissions and these days they do it with Asians. The stated reason is that they want opportunity for many ethnic groups. The outcome is that if you are Asian you need to do better than a non-Asian to get into a good university.

Clearly a definition of merit that doesn't depend on race is less racist than a definition that does.
Specifically 140 points higher on the SAT according to studies. Most universities shifted to "extra-curricular" criteria in hopes of achieving the same result, but Asians learned to do that too lol, so who knows where the goal post will be next!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Maybe India and China need more "whites" to reflect global demographics according to Luisito's logic.
I am not the one promoting that, other posters are. If they say we are accepting people based on the population of their homes countries, it is only fair that chinese and Indian will someday be the majority of people in this country. Naturally whites should only make up a small portion of the country. If we are being far about it. Or are we going to stop immigration to favour whites?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 6:58 PM

City Council of Rchmond, BC (Canada's epicentre of birth tourism) asks Feds to ban the practise:

The city is trying to tackle birth tourism locally by shutting down businesses promoting it while pushing the federal government to ban it outright.

In the meantime, the U.S. State Department recently put in rules that prohibit women who are pregnant from getting tourist visas to the U.S., something Richmond-Queensborough MLA Jas Johal praised.

“I don’t agree with a vast majority of things Trump says or does — in fact, he offends me in many cases — but the fact he’s dealing with this issue is a commentary on how far back Canada is that we’re not,” he said.

At Monday’s committee meeting, a motion by Coun. Carol Day to write to Marco Mendicino, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, urging him to end birthright citizenship for non-Canadians was supported by almost all of council....

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/r...ism-1.24068382

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
City Council of Rchmond, BC (Canada's epicentre of birth tourism) asks Feds to ban the practise:

The city is trying to tackle birth tourism locally by shutting down businesses promoting it while pushing the federal government to ban it outright.

In the meantime, the U.S. State Department recently put in rules that prohibit women who are pregnant from getting tourist visas to the U.S., something Richmond-Queensborough MLA Jas Johal praised.

“I don’t agree with a vast majority of things Trump says or does — in fact, he offends me in many cases — but the fact he’s dealing with this issue is a commentary on how far back Canada is that we’re not,” he said.

At Monday’s committee meeting, a motion by Coun. Carol Day to write to Marco Mendicino, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, urging him to end birthright citizenship for non-Canadians was supported by almost all of council....

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/r...ism-1.24068382
Yeah the current city council is not going to last. Too much "Vancouverism" with social activists taking over. After they approved that modular housing on Elmbridge I knew they were finished.

Richmond wants the poor to stay in Vancouver. We all suspect the RCMP have secret orders to pickup homeless and drop them off across the bridge. It also doesn't want apartments, it wants condos. Its very middle class family focused with low property taxes and low crime. They are strongly against drugs as well.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:49 AM

How is this thread not locked?

I get that discussing immigration is a hard thing to do but the forumers here just plainly do not possess the wisdom to discuss it and come to conclusions. All this does is stir a cesspool of accusations and tomfoolery.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

I get that discussing immigration is a hard thing to do but the forumers here just plainly do not possess the wisdom to discuss it and come to conclusions. All this does is stir a cesspool of accusations and tomfoolery.
Probably better to provide an outlet for it in one thread so that it doesn't hijack discussions elsewhere. Easier to ignore, too, if one is inclined to do so.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

As the originator of the thread (2.5 years ago) this was not my original intent.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 2:38 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As the originator of the thread (2.5 years ago) this was not my original intent.
To borrow a phrase from kwoldtimer, istm, a lot of racial conflagrations are "unintended".

You unknowingly dog-whistled because you're deaf to it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 4:46 AM

The opposite can happen too, though: someone unhinged, having purely imaginary "voices in their head", hearing a dog whistle that doesn't exist and never existed.

At first sight, both are perfectly possible.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 6:41 AM
Back from the dead

Meh...you can't win in today's political climate.

If you take a reasoned approach you get called a racist for not explicitly attacking what other people view as racist (even though they may not objectively be)

If you don't take a reasoned approach, you're an idiot and both sides will call you either a racist or a race-traitor. There's really only one way to win and that's to not play. Of course, if you don't play, you lose by default. Case in point: Lock the thread because the discussion hasn't gone the way some people wanted it to go (in a thread with a topic that invites disagreement and offensive (to some) views)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 6:43 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
The opposite can happen too, though: someone unhinged, having purely imaginary "voices in their head", hearing a dog whistle that doesn't exist and never existed.

And this excuse is often used to discredit legitimate dog whistle situations, and then neither side ever gets to be taken seriously because everything is possible and nothing is valid. Yay, discourse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Meh...you can't win in today's political climate.

If you take a reasoned approach you get called a racist for not explicitly attacking what other people view as racist (even though they may not objectively be)

If you don't take a reasoned approach, you're an idiot and both sides will call you either a racist or a race-traitor. There's really only one way to win and that's to not play. Of course, if you don't play, you lose by default. Case in point: Lock the thread because the discussion hasn't gone the way some people wanted it to go (in a thread with a topic that invites disagreement and offensive (to some) views)
I feel like that's the goal. Destroy the concept of discourse entirely to get everyone to shut up and allow the leadership to do whatever it wants.

Cancelling is so overused (and spreads to everyone the original cancelled person interacts with causing this cascade of cancellation) and platforming/deplatform is a weird concept that seems to always backfire but this is the state of discussion these days.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 2:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

And some people are just like this:

https://www.amicaledessommeliers.com...nement-europe/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 2:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
To borrow a phrase from kwoldtimer, istm, a lot of racial conflagrations are "unintended".

You unknowingly dog-whistled because you're deaf to it.
Methinks you might want to have a look at the OP.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada