HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Actually , unless it's changed (and I fully admit that perhaps it has) the plan was amended years ago so that the expressway will veer off to the east and connect to Plessis .
Ooo really? I'd like to find out the right answer now. I guess that could also work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'd still be leery about buying a piece of property backing on to an open field unless you know exactly what the future plans are. I wouldn't trust what a developer or real estate agent says when trying to close a sale. Do your own homework.
I know, that's why I found it hilarious. They were using it as a sale point, and they knew damn will it would some how go through.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 7:27 AM

Are plans for Ed Scheine Parkway scrapped, or is that still planned? It looks like it would be bending around that giant pond appeared by Grassie (see my earlier post).

A lot of the plans from this PDF became a reality. Such as Concordia being extended. Also, behind the Costco on Regent I've noticed a bunch of dirt hills, anyone know what's going on there? The PDF states that Peguis St. will eventually be a 4-lane road. Then again, this is an old doc.

Here is two maps from the PDF.
PDF: http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/Docum...6/2006.215.pdf

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Also, behind the Costco on Regent I've noticed a bunch of dirt hills, anyone know what's going on there?
Could be this:
"Also in the works are plans for 1,300 single-family homes and 200 multi-family units in a new Genstar Development Company/City of Winnipeg housing subdivision on a 142-hectare site north of the Costco store on Regent Avenue."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...144333755.html

Old Posted Nov 12, 2012, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Original don't think those plans are still valid as we have discussed here in the past. They now plan on extending the CP Trail to the east perimeter.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Original don't think those plans are still valid as we have discussed here in the past. They now plan on extending the CP Trail to the east perimeter.
Considering CP Trail is being tied into CentrePort Canada Way to serve as an important east-west truck route extending it to the east Perimeter definitely makes sense. It would also seem that Plessis with some upgrading could handle the expected north-south traffic in the area even accounting for some of the planned growth. Hopefully the CP/Plessis intersection gets a proper clover-leaf.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What is the time frame for that? I know the original master plan called for the western extension to McPhillips by 2021 and further to route 90 by 2031. Both stretches were voted to be moved up to 2016 by council.

Was the eastern extension also moved up to 2016?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What is the time frame for that? I know the original master plan called for the western extension to McPhillips by 2021 and further to route 90 by 2031. Both stretches were voted to be moved up to 2016 by council.

Was the eastern extension also moved up to 2016?
The western Chief Pegaus extension may have been a condition on the creation of CentrePort as it seems to directly service that.

For the eastern CP extension, I would suspect it will follow sometime after 2016 and will likley be driven by growth in the area and demand for road funding elsewhere in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Considering CP Trail is being tied into CentrePort Canada Way to serve as an important east-west truck route extending it to the east Perimeter definitely makes sense. It would also seem that Plessis with some upgrading could handle the expected north-south traffic in the area even accounting for some of the planned growth. Hopefully the CP/Plessis intersection gets a proper clover-leaf.
Building the CP all the way to the East Perimeter serves no usefully purpose if their intention is to stop traffic at every 'rabbit hole' along the way. To build a proper roadway that actual will function for its purpose would require the City to build overpasses, a feat that they refuse to do. Does the City think that they will get any cheaper, if they wait?

Bishop Grandin, was suppose to be a major E-W corridor also. It started from nowhere in the East and went to nowhere in the West. It originally was just a two lane road to begin with and two years later, was extended to a four lane. The same 'rabbit holes' exist at every intersection along the way, except at Pembina, which functions fine, even at this time, twenty years later.

If the City is going to continue to build this type of roadway, then in my opinion, it shouldn't start. The way to move people and products throughout the City is to keep the traffic moving, not to stop and start it. If every driver is using the 5 second rule, your only going to get 12 to 20 cars per lane through a 60 second light, add a couple of turning lights and your going nowhere fast. A flowing traffic path allows vehicles to enter and leave at will, and traffic is only controlled after you leave the artery and enter a grid street system. Winnipeg has to get out of the four lane street system and come into the 21st century of multiple lanes that flow through the City. The City's present thinking is that they can control traffic with a stop sign or a simple red light. Anyone that's driven thru the North End will tell you that after stopping for the 2nd stop sign-in-a-row, every other one is just a slow 'N go.

The power of street building should be taken away from the City and given to a traffic authority that is made up of people from Provincial, municipal, transport oriented individuals and ordinary citizens that use the common road. Monies for projects should come from Federal, provincial and municipal sources to fund the projects that are approved by the traffic board that benefit the people as a whole, not just a feather lining for one group. Policing of the roadways should be handled by the traffic authority and the Winnipeg Police should be dealing with crime, not traffic. Autopac should also stick to the insurance business and stay out of road construction.

I hope that I hit every ad hoc group that acquaints itself with traffic and roads, and that a little of the rust comes off this group as a whole, so that they will wake up to the problem that this City is in.

All your comments are appreciated. Let's hear them.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 7:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
All your comments are appreciated. Let's hear them.
Your comments and observations above seem dead on correct (to me).

There is a group on this board that has stated they are proud of the fact that Winnipeg has no real freeways or expressways. Some members of city council feel the same.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 7:27 PM
What could go wrong?

The only thing i think we need to realize is the transportation planners are not the bad guys here. All of them know how to plan things properly they just get shut down when the correct way to do things is presented. The fact we have no money and not a forward thinking Councillor or provincial politician.

I recently spoke to a top MIT highway engineer and they are planning to upgrade the south Perimeter Hwy from Oak Bluff to Hwy 1. He wants to add grade separations to all major intersections and close down the small ones. He knows that this will be met with the "we can't afford that so redesign the intersections better" reaction. He bangs his head against the wall every day.

alittle1 - i agree with pretty much all of your post.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 12:21 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Bishop Grandin, was suppose to be a major E-W corridor also. It started from nowhere in the East and went to nowhere in the West. It originally was just a two lane road to begin with and two years later, was extended to a four lane. The same 'rabbit holes' exist at every intersection along the way, except at Pembina, which functions fine, even at this time, twenty years later.
Bishop Grandin was two lanes in St. Boniface. West of the Seine it was always four lanes. That was all the budget there was for it. Winnipeg is not a rich city and the money for one overpass could go a long, long way if spend for other purposes. The Pembina overpass was built in the mid 1980s when Bishop Grandin was extended westward to Waverley.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The only thing i think we need to realize is the transportation planners are not the bad guys here. All of them know how to plan things properly they just get shut down when the correct way to do things is presented. The fact we have no money and not a forward thinking Councillor or provincial politician.

I recently spoke to a top MIT highway engineer and they are planning to upgrade the south Perimeter Hwy from Oak Bluff to Hwy 1. He wants to add grade separations to all major intersections and close down the small ones. He knows that this will be met with the "we can't afford that so redesign the intersections better" reaction. He bangs his head against the wall every day.

alittle1 - i agree with pretty much all of your post.
I've been attending a conference in Gimli the past two days. Because my wife works long hours, we have no family here, and my daycare is by the University, I've had to drop my son at daycare and then drive to and from Gimli for the day. BOTH DAYS, I got stuck by LONG, trains near the St. Annes intersection, AND the dugald intersection. I was also reminded of my favourite safety issue (the left turners parked in the fast lane in a 100km/hr zone turning left onto a dirt road), when the vehicle in front of me skidded out of control to avoid one of these turners.

Another problem seems to be that the politicians are not aggressive enough in lobbying / leveraging for more funding to improve transportation in the interest of improving both the regional and national economies. The feds have opened up their wallets to fund Canada Centreport Way; now is the time for them to make a very strong argument that in order to realize the full potential of Centreport, there needs to be a funded multi-year program to upgrade the Perimeter Highway from CCW to Hwy 75 to FULL FREEWAY standards, (whole south leg would be best), grade separate all major rail crossings, and construct the freeway bypasses of both Headingley and St. Norbert. Yes, this stuff will probably cost well north of a billion dollars, but look at how much federal funding has recently gone into transportation projects in B.C. to support the Pacific Gateway Program. Look at the federal commitments for the new Pitt River Bridge, South Fraser Perimeter Road, Border Infrastructure program, and the various rapid transit projects.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:05 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I've been attending a conference in Gimli the past two days. Because my wife works long hours, we have no family here, and my daycare is by the University, I've had to drop my son at daycare and then drive to and from Gimli for the day. BOTH DAYS, I got stuck by LONG, trains near the St. Annes intersection, AND the dugald intersection. I was also reminded of my favourite safety issue (the left turners parked in the fast lane in a 100km/hr zone turning left onto a dirt road), when the vehicle in front of me skidded out of control to avoid one of these turners.

Another problem seems to be that the politicians are not aggressive enough in lobbying / leveraging for more funding to improve transportation in the interest of improving both the regional and national economies. The feds have opened up their wallets to fund Canada Centreport Way; now is the time for them to make a very strong argument that in order to realize the full potential of Centreport, there needs to be a funded multi-year program to upgrade the Perimeter Highway from CCW to Hwy 75 to FULL FREEWAY standards, (whole south leg would be best), grade separate all major rail crossings, and construct the freeway bypasses of both Headingley and St. Norbert. Yes, this stuff will probably cost well north of a billion dollars, but look at how much federal funding has recently gone into transportation projects in B.C. to support the Pacific Gateway Program. Look at the federal commitments for the new Pitt River Bridge, South Fraser Perimeter Road, Border Infrastructure program, and the various rapid transit projects.
I agree with most of what you're saying but don't forget that Vancouver is currently a far more important center than is Winnipeg . What I mean by that is that it's the country's only major port (and I mean major) on the west coast and basically serves the entire nation . It also has nearly four times the number of people . Effectively , an investment in Vancouver transportation infrastructure is an investment in national infrastructure .
Yes , we can make the same argument for Winnipeg in many ways but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that Winnipeg serves the country to the same degree that Vancouver does . This all may change at some point in the distant future but for now it's simply the reality .

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 6:11 PM

Just noticed that Google maps now shows the planned extension of CPT west if you zoom in enough. Not sure how accurate it is. Its showing it cutting straight through little mountain park?

http://goo.gl/maps/YoXPR

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Just noticed that Google maps now shows the planned extension of CPT west if you zoom in enough. Not sure how accurate it is. Its showing it cutting straight through little mountain park?

http://goo.gl/maps/YoXPR
Ya that's been up for a while. The route is fairly accurate, obviously the final location is to be determined during the design phase. But yes it would be going through Little Mountain Park in one location or another. Maybe shifted farther to the southeast to go through the more wooded area.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya that's been up for a while. The route is fairly accurate, obviously the final location is to be determined during the design phase. But yes it would be going through Little Mountain Park in one location or another. Maybe shifted farther to the southeast to go through the more wooded area.
Not liking that idea at all.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:43 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Not liking that idea at all.
Maybe they can get rid or all that pesky green space and baseball diamonds to make way for an expressway, that way it will be easier for people to drive further and further from the City to get to a nice outdoor sports complex.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:47 PM

Maybe that alignment is accurate to avoid the woods and go through the open space. Either way you're going to have a major roadway going through there.

Anybody hear any news on the status of the CPT west extension? Last I heard was the announcement that it had been pushed up to 2016 or so.

Who said it was pesky green space? I think the should have went west of the ball diamonds personally. West around the Prairie Dog, up and around the ball diamonds, straight east across route 90.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:53 PM

[QUOTE=original;5898667]Are plans for Ed Scheine Parkway scrapped, or is that still planned? It looks like it would be bending around that giant pond appeared by Grassie (see my earlier post).

A lot of the plans from this PDF became a reality. Such as Concordia being extended. Also, behind the Costco on Regent I've noticed a bunch of dirt hills, anyone know what's going on there? The PDF states that Peguis St. will eventually be a 4-lane road. Then again, this is an old doc.

Here is two maps from the PDF.
PDF: http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/Docum...6/2006.215.pdf

For the most part those plans are accurate. Yes CPT will extend east to the perimeter. As far as I know ESP will extend south from CPT and branch east to Plessis along the Ravelston/East Yards property instead of dead ending at Regent.

Kildare extension is no more as looks like Ravelston would be upgraded west of ESP.

Shindico as an "updated" map from the Kildonan Mile development that shows ESP heading east.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 8:40 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Who said it was pesky green space? I think the should have went west of the ball diamonds personally.
That was a bit of my sarcasm coming out -- I may actually be the only person on this board who thinks the eastern extension of Peguis Trail shouldn't have been built in the first place, though I do believe that some would have rather seen the money spent elsewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan