HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:00 PM

Seems to be a dangerous game -- paying to subsidize airlines to entice them to the city. This has been discussed here (YWG) in the past - to try to get a direct flight to LAX to assist with the Film Industry. It's been rumored that we lost out on some productions because of lack of a direct flight. I'm not sure the economics made sense and no deal was struck. I'd love to see all the prairie cities with more direct flights to US hubs, but it seems like we're all stuck with the hub and spoke model for now. I am hoping the new Airbus A220 (former Bombarier C series) might open up new routes with its longer range and greater fuel efficiency. Delta has ordered a bunch. Time will tell.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Seems to be a dangerous game -- paying to subsidize airlines to entice them to the city. This has been discussed here (YWG) in the past - to try to get a direct flight to LAX to assist with the Film Industry. It's been rumored that we lost out on some productions because of lack of a direct flight. I'm not sure the economics made sense and no deal was struck. I'd love to see all the prairie cities with more direct flights to US hubs, but it seems like we're all stuck with the hub and spoke model for now. I am hoping the new Airbus A220 (former Bombarier C series) might open up new routes with its longer range and greater fuel efficiency. Delta has ordered a bunch. Time will tell.
Direct flights by Delta or United to MSP, DEN and/or ORD (as we had before) would be a big help. The flights were well-sold. And fares out of Regina via YYC, YEG, YWG, YYZ and so on are really pretty expensive at the moment.

The quandary here is that adding daily flights to the US will drive fares down on the Canadian routes. The tax subsidy lets the airport reduce its landing fees to airlines, which will allow the airlines to make similar money to what they're earning now but at lower fares (and will allow the US airlines to possibly make similar money to what they're making flying their smaller aircraft from hubs to subsidized US airports - the US heavily subsidizes small airports, so currently, they can fly emptier airplanes out of, say, Gillette, Wyoming than out of Regina and make the same money).

Time will tell if this is enough, but it certainly won't hurt.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:36 PM

Ultimately if the price point on the route is too high it's not going to fly for very long.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Direct flights by Delta or United to MSP, DEN and/or ORD (as we had before) would be a big help. The flights were well-sold. And fares out of Regina via YYC, YEG, YWG, YYZ and so on are really pretty expensive at the moment.

The quandary here is that adding daily flights to the US will drive fares down on the Canadian routes. The tax subsidy lets the airport reduce its landing fees to airlines, which will allow the airlines to make similar money to what they're earning now but at lower fares (and will allow the US airlines to possibly make similar money to what they're making flying their smaller aircraft from hubs to subsidized US airports - the US heavily subsidizes small airports, so currently, they can fly emptier airplanes out of, say, Gillette, Wyoming than out of Regina and make the same money).

Time will tell if this is enough, but it certainly won't hurt.
Yes apparently the small airport subsidy is why Minot can be so cheap.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 8:41 PM

Good news now let's announce a direct US flight!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 11:55 PM

Yay! Subsidize flights to Trumpville! YQR takes in $11M per year in improvement fees, they don't need a damn additional subsidy.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:19 PM

At least it's tied to a customer benefit. The alternative is the choice between 8 flights a day to Calgary just to go south of the 49th parallel.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Yay! Subsidize flights to Trumpville! YQR takes in $11M per year in improvement fees, they don't need a damn additional subsidy.
The subsidy wasn't granted to benefit the airport; it was granted to benefit Regina travelers' flight options and to make it easier for US visitors (business and personal) to get to Regina. If I recall correctly, the airport is run as a non-profit organization so other than to potentially gain additional money for future expansion, it doesn't benefit at all.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:01 PM

While I personally stand to benefit (I go to Minneapolis 2-3 times a year for business) it's a fairly large tax break that doesn't sit quite right with me.

I hope after the 5 years the program ends and the American flights stay of their own choice.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
While I personally stand to benefit (I go to Minneapolis 2-3 times a year for business) it's a fairly large tax break that doesn't sit quite right with me.

I hope after the 5 years the program ends and the American flights stay of their own choice.
The CEO of YQR stated that Denver/United was the most likely destination. As has been posted before on this thread, once the WestJet-Delta JV is approved, one would think we have a shot at an MSP flight.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The CEO of YQR stated that Denver/United was the most likely destination. As has been posted before on this thread, once the WestJet-Delta JV is approved, one would think we have a shot at an MSP flight.
Looking forward to this. UA via Denver is better than having to go all the way to YYC or YVR to even get to the States. Way to go YQR, looking forward to an announcement!!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM753Fan View Post
Looking forward to this. UA via Denver is better than having to go all the way to YYC or YVR to even get to the States. Way to go YQR, looking forward to an announcement!!

If United is coming back to Sask it would be really surprising to see them not do both cities.. wonder if Regina’s incentive will also move them to Saskatoon again - but we don’t have to pay the incentive haha

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
If United is coming back to Sask it would be really surprising to see them not do both cities.. wonder if Regina’s incentive will also move them to Saskatoon again - but we don’t have to pay the incentive haha
Didn’t the Saskatoon airport get a grant to promote the Airport a while back?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I don't think it's a sure thing they'd go to YXE, since Saskatoon still has YXE-MSP. United would have more competition there than in Regina.

If things went well in Regina... then yes, I could absolutely see them looking at adding YXE-DEN.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:12 PM

If this DEN-YQR flight were to come to fruition, what kind of timeframes are we looking?
Q1 2020?
Q2 2020?
Q1 2021?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:42 PM

Airlines have their routes set in stone up until the end of April, 2020 so May 1st would be the earliest assuming things are in the mid/late planning stages.

In another month or two when May-August summer routes are finalized and announced, the earliest will be fall 2020.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:47 PM

Work has begun. Inside windows gone.

New Kreos Hangar

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Sep 6, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 11:01 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 4:37 PM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:21 AM
ConstructionPete

The way forward: Saskatoon International Airport

Situated in a city of just over 273,000 people, Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport (CYXE), also known under the brand name “Skyxe,” is making big changes.

https://www.skiesmag.com/features/th...ional-airport/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan