HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:19 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Like the $3B the former clown govt. NDP were willing to spend for a roadway to nowhere in eastern Manitoba for a minuscule population that contribute virtually nothing back to society on the whole!
Reading between the lines

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:54 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post

Read between them all you want (though I believe the figure is actually $750M and not $3B). There are no Manitoba taxpayers served by this. Ottawa should have picked up the tab, as on reserve indigenous people are not the responsibility of Manitoba.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 4:28 PM

It's one of those fishy things. Floodway Authority bureaucrats needed work so they all moved over to this road authority. One of Pallister's best moves was abolishing the East Side Road Authority and bringing the roads under MI (frmer MIT) jurisdiction.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 4:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
I'm getting tired of politically correct bull shit, the previous govt. had NO regard for taxpayers and even less respect for Manitoba's middle class.

The Perimeter is probably the most important road in Manitoba and that's where money should be spent!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'll agree that there are more urgent places the $400M could be spent. But the bypass is definitely a huge part of a proper highway system. I know I keep saying that, but it's true. Highway 75 is 110 down south towards the US. An upgraded Perimeter would be 110 km/h as well. That is the new standard for PTH 1 and PTH 75. I could only assume it would be the same for PTH 100 and even 101.
The project is the equiv. of wiping your a$$ with hundred dollar bills. There isn't a pressing need for this, trucking industry is NOT breaking down gov't doors screaming for it, there is no safety issue.

But hey,lets pay any price so you don't have to stop at two lights as you head ti the Grand Forks on your shopping trip.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
The project is the equiv. of wiping your a$$ with hundred dollar bills. There isn't a pressing need for this, trucking industry is NOT breaking down gov't doors screaming for it, there is no safety issue.

But hey,lets pay any price so you don't have to stop at two lights as you head ti the Grand Forks on your shopping trip.
Hey we're the trucking capital of Canada and and a large portion of trucking volume goes south on 75, but lets keep it at 50 KM/h through St. Norbert with traffic signals, then we increase it to 60 KM/h for half a KM, then we increase to 80 just because, we bump the speed up to 90 KM/h because it's closer to 100 KM/h and then finally we get the 100 KM/h highway speed about 4 KM outside Winnipeg.

And as an added bonus to your driving pleasure we present to you a stretch around Letellier at 110 KM/h to just before the border to show everyone that we are a grownup province!

Can't see how the trucking industry doesn't like highway 75!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:26 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post

Think of the fuel savings over time

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:45 PM

The trucking industry isn't breaking down any doors for anything. I'll guarantee they wouldn't be upset over it. Anyways, that's my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Think of the fuel savings over time
Maybe after 50 years it will exceed the amount of fuel that would get burned on merely building the bypass?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 6:40 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Maybe after 50 years it will exceed the amount of fuel that would get burned on merely building the bypass?
In 50 years there will be no truck drivers. Everything will be automated. Self driving cars and trucks, along with many things automated, while we as a people will sit on our asses, growing fat, eating a lot, taking selfies, and buying stuff we don't need.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
while we as a people will sit on our asses, growing fat, eating a lot, taking selfies, and buying stuff we don't need.
Some of us are already there living the dream, buddy

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 1:51 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I'm getting tired of politically correct bull shit, the previous govt. had NO regard for taxpayers and even less respect for Manitoba's middle class.

The Perimeter is probably the most important road in Manitoba and that's where money should be spent!
And I'm tired of blanket statements, I care not for political correctness. My reply stems from being from Norway House and being part of a "minuscule population that contribute virtually nothing back to society on the whole". In that regard, I can assure you my family and I contribute our share back to society.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 6:16 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
In 50 years there will be no truck drivers. Everything will be automated. Self driving cars and trucks, along with many things automated, while we as a people will sit on our asses, growing fat, eating a lot, taking selfies, and buying stuff we don't need.
Fifty years ago we were all supposed to have flying cars by now.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Another huge accident at Pipeline. Wtf is wrong with this province and its need to create ultra dangerous intersections???? Two people died less then 3 weeks ago at the same intersection and now 9 people in total were injured. 7 went to hospital and 1 a little 12 year old girl is fighting for her life.

Ffs close that intersection off for good.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 12:12 PM

Sad. And the intersection will just get busier as they develop precinct e aka Amber gates.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Another huge accident at Pipeline. Wtf is wrong with this province and its need to create ultra dangerous intersections???? Two people died less then 3 weeks ago at the same intersection and now 9 people in total were injured. 7 went to hospital and 1 a little 12 year old girl is fighting for her life.

Ffs close that intersection off for good.
How many accidents were there and how many people died where lag meets the north perimeter before the province decided 2 major highways deserve an interchange? Give it 50 years and maybe they will realize what every other state and province has known since the 1950s.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:56 PM

I've always been the mindset that south perimeter should be the first to be upgraded to Freeway/Grade-separated standards, given than it is TCH and officially winnipeg's "Bypass", however the more I think, it would be much cheaper to toss diamonds at Hwy 6, Pipeline and Gunn, upgrade Dugald (Cloverleaf or Parclo). From there encourage the trucking industry and change signage to make north perimeter the official bypass, reducing traffic on south perimeter until the major funding that it needs (WAY more than north perimeter) to be upgraded. I understand that the majority of Perimeter traffic is now local, not bypassing traffic, but perhaps just that small reduction could buy time to do the proper upgrades at highways 2/3, 330, Kenaston, St marys, St anne and likely a diamond between 59 and Fermor/TCH 1.

EDIT: To add, once the headingley bypass will be built (who knows when...), taking North perimeter will be a few kms shorter than the south perimeter, and Centreport should be an increasingly busier trade hub, giving north perimeter more the reason to be renamed the official bypass

Last edited by WildCake; Sep 18, 2016 at 7:21 PM. Reason: addition to comment

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:58 PM

I agree. 101 carries more traffic than 100. It's fairly easy to make controlled access once 59/101 is done. Diamond at 6 and parclo at Dugald / CNR. Close everything else including Pipeline and Gunn, or make right turn only with proper merges. Pipeline is within 2 km of both 7 and 8. Ludicrous that MIT allows traffic signals at Pipeline.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 10:04 PM

^Great idea WildCake.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 10:40 PM

101 between Main and 59 is the highest volume roadway in the Province already. But I'm sure you could pump more traffic through. Especially if everything was grade separated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan