HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Tesla's current models start at $75k though. They will greatly expand their customer base when the Model 3 is available for ~$45k or so, and it's only a matter of time before Moncton gets a Tesla store.
Agreed. I think the Model 3 will end up being between 45-50k after taxes. Hopefully the Eastern provinces follow suit with BC, Alberta, Ontario & Quebec and start offering incentives to change over.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
If Irving can grab the SuperCharge stations, then without a doubt we'll see one in Salisbury, and quite possibly at other Big Stops like Blue Canoe and Woodstock in the years to come.

Depending on where the demand is, they'll probably want to have one near each NB city eventually so travellers won't risk feeling stranded. (The long Young's Cove to Salisbury stretch on the TCH might feel daunting if a driver wasn't assured they had a charge station at either end).

Reflecting back to what I overheard at Harvest, one driver (I think it was the Tesla driver) said he was coming up from Halifax and he just made it to Blue Canoe before he had to plug into the wall for a few hours to make it the rest of the way in. So with that in mind, Silver Fox and Blue Canoe would be very likely super charge locations.
Tesla will build stand alone stations in the province - I'm just suggesting strategic areas along the TransCanada that ensure drivers can easily make it from charger to charger. I wasn't suggesting it would be part of an existing gas station - that is not Tesla's model. I think it will be many years before companies like Irving get into the charging business.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Tesla will build stand alone stations in the province - I'm just suggesting strategic areas along the TransCanada that ensure drivers can easily make it from charger to charger. I wasn't suggesting it would be part of an existing gas station - that is not Tesla's model. I think it will be many years before companies like Irving get into the charging business.
Ah ok. I haven't looked much into Tesla's model in general, and just thinking more along the lines of practicalities.

In that respect, I still think that they will aim to have a Charging station near each of NB's TriCities. As is, from the sounds of it, Freddy (or Oromocto) is at the edge of a Tesla's range from Halifax, so it would make sense to have one at Moncton (for a top up) and Freddy, especially given the long empty stretch between Freddy and Moncton. I know when I drive along that stretch, I don't feel comfortable unless my vehicle's range is estimating 150+km left. (Almost twice the 80km it actually is; once we went to Moncton and forgot to top up along the way and limped into Silver Fox with the fuel light on and 0km remaining on the estimate). With a pure electric car, I don't think I would be comfortable going anywhere long distance without making sure there was a decent buffer to get to each power-stop.

And Saint John is far enough out of the way of either city to warrant its own charger too eventually.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If Irving were smart, and peering into the energy future, they would form a strategic partnership with Tesla for charging stations at their Big Stops.

This would be a natural fit. Big Stops are much more than just a gas station.

There's going to be a huge shift to electrics in the next 10 years or so. Irving should get ahead of this curve.......

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

If Irving were smart, and peering into the energy future, they would form a strategic partnership with Tesla for charging stations at their Big Stops.

This would be a natural fit. Big Stops are much more than just a gas station.

There's going to be a huge shift to electrics in the next 10 years or so. Irving should get ahead of this curve.......
I hope you're right. One of the economic issues we have in the East Coast is that we tend to lag behind changes. With EV's clearly the future I would hope the provinces sees this and do not choose to wait until we are forced to change. With technological change there is great opportunity - if we can see this change and embrace it we will be in a good position. If we however decide to cling to the past then things will never change and we will always live in a part of the world that is 5-10 years behind.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Agreed. I think the Model 3 will end up being between 45-50k after taxes. Hopefully the Eastern provinces follow suit with BC, Alberta, Ontario & Quebec and start offering incentives to change over.
Once there's more adoption of EVs there's little point in offering incentives though.

Also, the Model 3 that is $35k USD is RWD. The market for RWD cars is non-existent in Canada, and companies like BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar have abandoned mainstream RWD models in the last decade. A reasonably equipped AWD Model 3 will be at least $40k USD. So at best I think the Model 3 will be at least $45k before taxes here.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 4:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, we are now firmly in the winter doldrums for development news in the region. Don't expect too much in the way of new announcements for the next six weeks or so.

Don't worry though - things will pick up as we approach spring - they always do.......

In the meantime - Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Skating pond at Centennial Park in Moncton.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2016, 4:09 PM

Merry christmas!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:40 PM
Our Tide is Rising

folks in SJ forum are debating Sears, folks in Moncton forum are debating Costco...

I feel like there is an elephant in the room here making us upset!

The New Yorker

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 12:13 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
folks in SJ forum are debating Sears, folks in Moncton forum are debating Costco...

I feel like there is an elephant in the room here making us upset!

The New Yorker
This post makes the most sense

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 8:53 PM
I Rise Again

Merry Christmas to everyone far and wide!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 9:58 PM

Oops wrong thread.

Merry Christmas!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 2:06 AM

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 2:22 PM

Happy New year to everyone, wishing new exciting development to everyone!!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 2:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yes, Happy New Year to all!!!

I fear there are economic storm clouds on the horizon for 2019. The current prolonger period of economic growth can't last forever and the markets are getting nervous, but here's hoping that there is still time to start a few new big projects in the Maritimes before the next downturn.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 3:26 PM
Unregistered Loser

^ Fear not.

HaPpY
nEw
YeAr

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 1:58 PM

Merry Christmas to all, hopefully we get new developments in our respective cities as gifts! Lol

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:17 AM
I Rise Again

This might be kind of old news to most of us, but I just discovered that Huddle has closed.

https://huddle.today/2023/07/25/good...and-thank-you/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces