HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Gothic Arches replacement

The proposed replacement is a 7 story apartment block, which apparently is significantly over the neighbourhood planned max. I guess we'll know in a few weeks if it is actually acceptable or not.

Looks like the same "Spitfire Design Co." watermark on this building as the one going up in Freddy too.
My biggest concern is whether individuals will delay the project like he did the Irving HQ.

Last edited by cdnguys; Jan 17, 2020 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Gothic Arches replacement

The proposed replacement is a 7 story apartment block, which apparently is significantly over the neighbourhood planned max. I guess we'll know in a few weeks if it is actually acceptable or not.

Looks like the same "Spitfire Design Co." watermark on this building as the one going up in Freddy too.
From Spitfire Design Co. Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/spitfiredes...c_location=ufi

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 11:02 PM

I read the peer review from a firm in Charlottetown and reviewed PAC presentation - maybe a bit hopeful. Based on words maybe pics don’t do it justice

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:24 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Info on the 819 Millidge Avenue (former Anglican Church property) multi-residential proposal has been released via next week's PAC Agenda and the neighbourhood is up in arms!! (judging by the written responses included with the application package, anyway)

A numbered company from Ontario is proposing two four-storey apartment buildings totalling 88 units (32 one-bedroom and 56 two-bedroom). Site plan and preliminary elevations are below:

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Info on the 819 Millidge Avenue (former Anglican Church property) multi-residential proposal has been released via next week's PAC Agenda and the neighbourhood is up in arms!! (judging by the written responses included with the application package, anyway)

A numbered company from Ontario is proposing two four-storey apartment buildings totalling 88 units (32 one-bedroom and 56 two-bedroom). Site plan and preliminary elevations are below:

Great development IMO - fits the growth plan perfectly. I understand the NIMBY angle, but some of the arguments presented in emails are specious. That along with gothic arches going from zero or no taxes to lots of property tax is what city needs

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:44 PM

I understand the NIMBY crowd concerns, and if my house was close enough to the area, I would be completely against it too and looks for any excuse to block it (similar to some of the reasons given)

I can see why the developer likes the land too; anyone living there would be able to walk to get their simple amenities at Irving/JC/Tims/etc.

Overall, I think Daniel Ave. is the cusp to build high density, and I wouldn't want anything deeper into Millidgeville than this location. So I would say I'm leaning slightly more on the opposed side, but I am not up in arms if it does get approved (which, by the looks of things, I doubt it will)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 3:42 PM

I don't see the traffic concerns, it's Millidge Avenue. It was an arterial street decades ago and isn't going to get any worse from units on the street. The traffic argument is only getting brought up by people who object to it for some other reason and want to strengthen their position.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
I understand the NIMBY crowd concerns, and if my house was close enough to the area, I would be completely against it too and looks for any excuse to block it (similar to some of the reasons given)

I can see why the developer likes the land too; anyone living there would be able to walk to get their simple amenities at Irving/JC/Tims/etc.

Overall, I think Daniel Ave. is the cusp to build high density, and I wouldn't want anything deeper into Millidgeville than this location. So I would say I'm leaning slightly more on the opposed side, but I am not up in arms if it does get approved (which, by the looks of things, I doubt it will)
Look at all the buildings at end of Noel Ave in Millidgeville - over 150 units constructed or under construction over more than 4 buildings and that got approved. Noel Ave also a single family residential street.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Look at all the buildings at end of Noel Ave in Millidgeville - over 150 units constructed or under construction over more than 4 buildings and that got approved. Noel Ave also a single family residential street.
That's true. I guess that's a perfect benchmark. If there's no major side effects from those apartment units (especially since I see that as a worse street for putting those apartment units), I don't see a problem with the Daniel Ave. location. Bring on the shovels!

I did get a tour of the 2nd building at the end of Noel Ave during construction when I was looking for a rental unit, they're pretty high end buildings, including storage units, gym, and a entertainment room. They didn't allow dogs though

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:36 PM

Low vacancy rates for Saint John apartments could spell trouble for low-income renters

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ents-1.5434424

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:32 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Via Develop SJ:

COMMUNITY MEETING: JAN 20, 6-8PM @ Parkland Shannex Saint John, 40 Vitality Way

The @cityofsaintjohn & Plaza REIT invite residents to attend a meeting to discuss the future of vacant lands at Millidge & University Ave in Millidgeville.

Did anybody attend this? Any concepts presented?

The 819 Millidge Avenue apartment proposal goes to PAC tonight. Between that and 95 Wentworth Street, sounds like it might be a long meeting.

My take on the 819 Millidge Avenue proposal is I can understand where the opposition is coming from - the character of that corner is predominantly single family homes and the larger scale stuff doesn't start until you have the Shannex development a couple blocks down.

That being said this site is still part of the Millidgeville Centre intensification area (albeit its northernmost extremity) and is within easy walking distance to neighbourhood services and frequent transit at University and Millidge. The site deserves some form of density.

I would be OK with this proposal moving forward but I would also be okay with the developer going back to the drawing board and looking at some missing middle housing typologies that might be a bit more context-sensitive for the site. Some mix of units ranging from semi-detached to townhouses to stacked towns would be really helpful to add to the local market and might be a bit more palatable for the neighbours.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:51 PM

I have a great deal of empathy for local residents opposing these high developments. Wouldn't want them behind my house either - if I did I would have stayed in Toronto.

But IMO there is one thing and one thing only which is going to save Saint John. Increased tax base. These 2 large developments would require little additional city infrastructure, would complement having people live close to work, and support public transit instead of building roads further and further from downtown. I really think they need to go ahead.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:20 AM

https://twitter.com/connellcbc/statu...67278004207617

Gothic Arches replacement? PAC approved.

=P

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
https://twitter.com/connellcbc/statu...67278004207617

Gothic Arches replacement? PAC approved.

=P
Does it now go before common council? Or they have the go ahead now ?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:20 PM

Meanwhile the Millidgeville apartment project was rejected. Or at least the PAC did not approve it, to the surprise of the developer.

37 letters were received about the project, the majority of them opposing it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile the Millidgeville apartment project was rejected. Or at least the PAC did not approve it, to the surprise of the developer.

37 letters were received about the project, the majority of them opposing it.
I’m surprised - the city issues a growth plan document and this project fits the objective yet PAC doesn’t pass it. Sends wrong message to developers. Source says there will be another apartment complex coming before PAC soon for Boars Head Rd

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:08 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
I’m surprised - the city issues a growth plan document and this project fits the objective yet PAC doesn’t pass it. Sends wrong message to developers. Source says there will be another apartment complex coming before PAC soon for Boars Head Rd
Boars Head Rd is probably more tenable a location for apartment buildings. There's already been a few go up in recent years.

I agree with your sentiment, though. Feels like PAC was pressured by people writing in and showing up to the meeting. Shame, as Millidgeville is an area that can absolutely sustain more people and more developments like these.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed. With the hospital and the university, Millidgeville should be a node for both commercial and residential growth and increased density, especially in this location. It's a shame this proposal was shot down.

NIMBYitis strikes again........

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:21 PM

This location should of never of been recommended by the city to develop a project to that kind of scale. I understand it’s off of Millidgeville avenue which would lead you to believe it would be a good candidate for development but once you get past the strip mall it becomes dense low rise residential. Believe me, I am no NIMBY kind of person and I think it’s shame that someone who wanted to invest in SJ is being turned down but this location simply isn’t a good fit.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Indeed. With the hospital and the university, Millidgeville should be a node for both commercial and residential growth and increased density, especially in this location. It's a shame this proposal was shot down.

NIMBYitis strikes again........
Thankfully, judging from other accepted projects (Like Gothic Arches and the Rookwood project in Freddy), it seems the NIMBY folk aren't getting as riled up as much as they used. This feels more like an exception, whereas even 5 years ago it would probably be more like the unwritten rule.

It will probably chill development in that area for the near future, but hopefully the developer can come up with a solution with some densification.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces