HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Not really? We should see the 2019 development report soon that will have the number of housing starts, but due to rising construction costs SFH starts have generally trended down in the past few years.

I think that with the strong demand prices will trend upwards this year and it will make sense to build more houses. Over the past few years most new houses are either very high end custom homes or they're the generic ones that are being built in the Bishop Drive area.
There's a huge amount of undeveloped land between Bishop and the TCH. I don't know anything about it, but seems like it could possibly be developed. Something that might also be done is a Kingswood Golf Course housing community. I know that there have been a lot of mixed housing developments adjacent to golf courses. Single family homes and especially condos are very popular. Totally just speculation on my part.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:37 PM

Acording to the article in the paper yesterday, SFH contruction was down again in 2019, cant remember the exact number but I think it was around 100 ish.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
There's a huge amount of undeveloped land between Bishop and the TCH. I don't know anything about it, but seems like it could possibly be developed. Something that might also be done is a Kingswood Golf Course housing community. I know that there have been a lot of mixed housing developments adjacent to golf courses. Single family homes and especially condos are very popular. Totally just speculation on my part.
New housing will take place in areas identified in the CoF's municipal plan. It is the blueprint by which developers will use to formulate their development plans

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 12:50 PM

The idea that we need or actually want endless sprawl into rural areas does nothing to help the city stay sustainable while building the housing we need. Kingswood, on the other hand, has already tried to get housing built on site several times and none of them went ahead.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Kingswood has it in their "plans" to build a large plot of townhouses on their property adjacent to the golf course, can't remember how many units, but it was a few. However, as we've seen with the waterpark and the very slow hotel building process, Kingswood does not work fast. I'd be confident it will happen eventually but it might be 1 year from now, it might be 15 years from now.

If Kingswood doesn't have the funding, I can't imagine a developer like Colpitts wouldn't be ecstatic to work with Kingswood. IE: Kingswood supplies the land, Colpitts puts up the houses, both get paid when the unit sells. But perhaps ego, control, or financials wouldn't let it happen. I'm simply stating if a deal like that was on the table, construction would start tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
Kingswood has it in their "plans" to build a large plot of townhouses on their property adjacent to the golf course, can't remember how many units, but it was a few. However, as we've seen with the waterpark and the very slow hotel building process, Kingswood does not work fast. I'd be confident it will happen eventually but it might be 1 year from now, it might be 15 years from now.

If Kingswood doesn't have the funding, I can't imagine a developer like Colpitts wouldn't be ecstatic to work with Kingswood. IE: Kingswood supplies the land, Colpitts puts up the houses, both get paid when the unit sells. But perhaps ego, control, or financials wouldn't let it happen. I'm simply stating if a deal like that was on the table, construction would start tomorrow.
If someone was retired and a member of Kingswood, A new condo on the golf course would be pretty appealing. Just to be able to walk over to the club house without having to take your car would be a great benefit.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:38 PM

The site advertising the Kingswood townhouses is still up but hasn't been updated in years: http://kingswoodvillage.ca/

In the short term most development south of Bishop will continue to happen in the Lian/Brianna/Langille area. There's a new crescent off of Brianna that has a bunch of single family lots and there's various apartment buildings at some stage in development up there.

Long term it would be great to see a mixed use development in this area. In the last decade or so there have been hundreds of units of housing built here so at some point there will be the critical mass necessary to support more businesses. It's too bad that they've gone ahead with building an elementary school in Hanwell because this would have been the perfect place to build one.

On a side note, St. Louis Bar & Grill opens today.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 4:59 PM

I'm not sure where to begin to look for this; so maybe someone else may have a better idea where to look for this.

The Rookwood/Waggoners intersection is getting the big new project. As part of the approval for that, was a variance to only have 4.5m between the new project and the existing apartments next door.

In the PAC agenda description of the project, there is mention of that particular lot:

Quote:
"The 4.5m side yard setback variance is significant, however it must be recognized that setback is needed in large part due to the applicant designing the project to facilitate a future traffic circle. In addition the adjacent development impacted by the encroachment is also a high density residential zone, which could support also future intensification.
Basically it's implying that those older apartments could be torn down and something big put up there too.

Looking at the plans, the M-4 looks like it would be perfect to be combined with the 2 Rookwood lots to make a big square lot. The combined lot could then probably trivially support a 3rd 8-story tower for a "Phase 3", as well as maybe give an access point to Waggoners if they wanted to have one.

So, does anyone know if the Developer may own all 3 lots involved (270 and 264 Rookwood, and 15 Waggoneers)? Or if there are any commonalities in the projects and the owner/managers of the existing apartments?

Eyeballing it, if the Rookwood project sells well, I could also see 25 and 31 Waggoners being combined for a 6-8 story project as well. (It would probably be rectangular due to the lot shape)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
So, does anyone know if the Developer may own all 3 lots involved (270 and 264 Rookwood, and 15 Waggoneers)? Or if there are any commonalities in the projects and the owner/managers of the existing apartments?

Eyeballing it, if the Rookwood project sells well, I could also see 25 and 31 Waggoners being combined for a 6-8 story project as well. (It would probably be rectangular due to the lot shape)
I think those are different owners. 15 and 31 Waggoners Lane were sold in 2017 for $7.1M. 25 Waggoners sold last year for $775k.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:08 PM

Here's a map of residential housing starts in Fredericton in 2019:

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
The site advertising the Kingswood townhouses is still up but hasn't been updated in years: http://kingswoodvillage.ca/

In the short term most development south of Bishop will continue to happen in the Lian/Brianna/Langille area. There's a new crescent off of Brianna that has a bunch of single family lots and there's various apartment buildings at some stage in development up there.

Long term it would be great to see a mixed use development in this area. In the last decade or so there have been hundreds of units of housing built here so at some point there will be the critical mass necessary to support more businesses. It's too bad that they've gone ahead with building an elementary school in Hanwell because this would have been the perfect place to build one.

On a side note, St. Louis Bar & Grill opens today.
It would be a major project, that would have to be done in phases. If it ever comes to pass it would be a real jewel. Of course with the plans sitting idle for so long, I wouldn't hold my breath. Like a lot of things, it's typically all about the money.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:01 PM

Last edited by OliverD; Jan 21, 2020 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:14 PM

I don't think there's anything to be proud of about building townhouses outside city limits for people that would still use city services.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I don't think there's anything to be proud of about building townhouses outside city limits for people that would still use city services.
Someday New Maryland, Lincoln, Douglas, Hanwell, Pepper Creek, Fredericton we'll all be one city, it only makes sense. It might not be anytime soon but someday.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:15 PM

[QUOTE=FreddyGuy;8806739]Someday New Maryland, Lincoln, Douglas, Hanwell, Pepper Creek, Fredericton we'll all be one city, it only makes sense. It might not be anytime soon but someday.[/QUOTE
Residential construction will continue within & outside the city limits. The city wants higher density development to increase the tax base. With the low vacancy rates, we're going to see a lot of activity over the next few years,

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:36 PM

Update re the proposed Vertical Ascent adventure park

My source, which has yet to be wrong, says that all is in place now. Just waiting for spring to break ground

https://www.facebook.com/VerticalAsc...63132397343118

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:01 PM

The former Speedy Auto building on Prospect St was demolished, assume something must be planned for the property now, the building has sat vacant for a while.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
The former Speedy Auto building on Prospect St was demolished, assume something must be planned for the property now, the building has sat vacant for a while.
Where exactly on Prospect is that?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
Someday New Maryland, Lincoln, Douglas, Hanwell, Pepper Creek, Fredericton we'll all be one city, it only makes sense. It might not be anytime soon but someday.
Does it make sense? Why would the city want to take on the liability of all of that infrastructure without the density to support it?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Where exactly on Prospect is that?
I think it's close to Hanwell Road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces