HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Do you have confirmation on that? Or is it just rumour?
I've heard about Bier Markt too but only as a rumour.

That last rumour I heard though was that it wasn't gonna be one of those popular franchises but yet another brand new unknown restaurant created just for that space.

I wish we could get some definite answers somewhere though.
I have that from a very reliable source. It hasn't been announced by Cara Brands yet though, so anything until then is just a rumour.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putyoursaddown View Post
Hey guys, I've been a long time reader, and now I'm a first time poster! I've got a friend who works at the downtown Starbucks and I just texted her about the move to 351 rumor, and she confirmed it! Not only will Starbucks be leaving Atlantic Place, but the new store in 351 will be getting a Clover coffee brewer too
Do any other Starbucks in town use the Clover system?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad709 View Post
Do any other Starbucks in town use the Clover system?
Nope, this will be the first location in the province with a Clover brewer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 8:21 PM

Interesting that Starbucks is moving locations to a less busier part of downtown. I actually think there may be enough business in the downtown core to warrant a location both at Atlantic Place and 351 Water (the workers in each building alone could probably sustain a location, and then Atlantic Place has surrounding offices/businesses and 351 has Statoil and Mile One/Convention centre)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Interesting that Starbucks is moving locations to a less busier part of downtown. I actually think there may be enough business in the downtown core to warrant a location both at Atlantic Place and 351 Water (the workers in each building alone could probably sustain a location, and then Atlantic Place has surrounding offices/businesses and 351 has Statoil and Mile One/Convention centre)
I thought the same thing. Even if one was only open during business hours. I'm sure the one in AP gets enough traffic from 7-5 from the working crowd in the building. However, there are a lot of options for coffee downtown these days (two Tim Hortons, Jumping Bean, Coffee and Co., Rocket, Second Cup)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 12:08 PM

Perhaps if the Starbucks in AP had a storefront on the street it might even be busier. Many times I will pass by and not think of dropping in for a coffee however if it is more likely to catch ones eye you might stop. Water St. should still be able to support two locations...heck, they are on every corner in US cities.
Does anyone know where the SB in 351 will be?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Perhaps if the Starbucks in AP had a storefront on the street it might even be busier. Many times I will pass by and not think of dropping in for a coffee however if it is more likely to catch ones eye you might stop. Water St. should still be able to support two locations...heck, they are on every corner in US cities.
I like that Starbucks in the winter. On weekends you can park for free in the garage and walk up the stairway without having to worry about parking or going outside. And by winter, I mean 80% of the year

I'm guessing they will occupy one of those retail spaces at street level.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 1:35 PM

Quote:
351 WATER STREET SUITE 4 - Not sure which space suite 4 this is though.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
351 WATER STREET SUITE 4 - Not sure which space suite 4 this is though.
Suite 4 is the east, street level unit.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1983 View Post
I have that from a very reliable source. It hasn't been announced by Cara Brands yet though, so anything until then is just a rumour.
Just for the hell of it, I texted Bier Markt's on their Facebook page to see if they would confirm anything and they actually responded to me, though with an as-expected form letter response that goes like this....

"Good morning! Thank you for your enthusiasm, we love it! Unfortunately I have no news to confirm. Be sure to stay tuned to this page for any new location updates. Have a great weekend!"

So time will tell if its true or not.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townie_by View Post
Suite 4 is the east, street level unit.
Which way is east again?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Which way is east again?
The Sheraton would be east of George Street.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
An application to open a "Place of Amusement for Mochanopoly" at 279 Duckworth Street has been submitted ( http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...ckworth-street ). According to the proprietor's facebook page, a mochanopolistic amusement place is a board game café ( https://www.facebook.com/MochanopolyCafe ). There was a relevant VOCM article last month, but the link is already dead (why does VOCM kill their links so quickly?). The owners are Leon and Erich Chung ( https://twitter.com/anthonygermain/s...59097280032768 ).

Apparently, board game cafés are a thing of enough cultural import to have attracted an Atlantic Monthly article last year ( http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...e-bars/382828/ ). I had no idea, but it's exciting to see a unique business on Duckworth.
Nerdgasasm.

Just when I thought I was getting bored with downtown.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's because it's new. I can't figure out the obsession with this place or the keg, another restaurant which is no better than Montana's or Swiss Chalet on the mainland, but get this weird "fancy restaurant" fanfare here.

Interesting choice of location if L&M decide to reopen at 351. They wanted to move to a smaller location, but I think the 351 water street restaurant size may be just as big?
White trash nation, seriously I despise these chains, not the mention the shrinking of a very nice view.

Last edited by Stryker; Jul 18, 2015 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:45 PM

Quote:
That's actually a fair point. As it stands now, AP Starbucks closes pretty early compared to all others in the city, which probably has something to do with security (does the gym also close early?). If 351 has street access then they should be able to stay open to 10-11 pm without issue.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 11:43 PM

The restaurant in the rear of 351 is 4800 sq ft on the main floor; I believe there is a second floor as well that is slightly less than that? Not sure how much smaller in terms of floor space that would be than the original L&M spot.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreynolds View Post
Looks like we are getting a Kelsey's its going just before Kelsey drive on the right side kemount road just before the turn off to Kelsey drive.. There's a sign up but I couldn't get a good pic
I drove by yesterday and it looks like the footings are poured for the building.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 4:24 PM

legros and Motti Dead in Water

Legros and Motti is officially dead in the Water. It will not be reopening in St.John's. This comes from a very reliable source close to the family.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 5:14 PM

A wise decision. They had their chance and botched it by offering a mediocre and inconsistent eating experience, though I have heard good reviews too but seems like the negative reviews were far more numerous. Not a good way to start off building an untested brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Legros and Motti is officially dead in the Water. It will not be reopening in St.John's. This comes from a very reliable source close to the family.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 7:55 PM

Smitty's is opening up in the old A&W Location in Churchill Sq.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's