HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Your choice for Mayor of Regina?
Liz Brass 2 4.26%
Tom Brown 0 0%
Marian Donnelly 5 10.64%
Jim Elliot 1 2.13%
Michael Fougere 26 55.32%
Chad Novak 1 2.13%
Meka Okochi 12 25.53%
Tim Siekawitch 0 0%
Charles Wiebe 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:05 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Regina Mayoral election, 2012

http://www.reginaelection.com/

So now that the mayoral election is upon us, who are you going to vote for and why?

As for me, I'm planning on voting for Meka Okochi, as he has some very good ideas to help make Regina better.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:26 PM

I'm torn on this one. I like Okochi, but feel he lacks any experience and he hasn't lived in Regina for very long (which might be a positive, actually). Fougere has the most experience and I think he will follow Fiacco's footsteps, but something about him scares me. To me, he just comes across as sneaky and untrustworthy...not sure why that is.

The really crazy thing is...Last election only 25% of eligible voters went to the polls. With so many people running, it's conceivable that the winner may only have 5% of the citizens behind them in support.

We REALLY need a good voter turnout for this election...it's scary to think what might happen in this city if someone like Chad Novak somehow got enough votes because our citizens didn't get to the polls.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post

We REALLY need a good voter turnout for this election...it's scary to think what might happen in this city if someone like Chad Novak somehow got enough votes because our citizens didn't get to the polls.
Recall Election. There's a petition I'd sign.

For me it will be between Meka and Fougere.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:16 PM

Fougere will sell the City out to his Builder buddies for peanuts on the dollar.
You are right there is slimy side to Fougere which rubs me the wrong way. I grew up in his ward and saw how the South-East end was torn up into an oasis of strip malls which out-do each other for vacancies.

Meka echoes the trend you see in most Cities as a youthful, progressive Mayor is put in place. He mirrors what Calgary has done I find which is a refreshing take for important Municipal issues.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:15 PM

I agree fully with everything that's been said so far. Meka can take Regina into the future. Fougere will just keep us in the past.

That being said, I see a massive amount of Marian Donnelly signs out there on the streets of Regina. It almost seems like there's going to be a gender divide on this election, with the majority of women voters voting for Marian, and men splitting their votes between Okochi and Fougere.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I agree fully with everything that's been said so far. Meka can take Regina into the future. Fougere will just keep us in the past.

That being said, I see a massive amount of Marian Donnelly signs out there on the streets of Regina. It almost seems like there's going to be a gender divide on this election, with the majority of women voters voting for Marian, and men splitting their votes between Okochi and Fougere.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Women don't tend to like other women...especially a woman in power. My wife is set on voting for Okochi. I think that I am swaying in that direction too.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Women don't tend to like other women...especially a woman in power. My wife is set on voting for Okochi. I think that I am swaying in that direction too.
You might wanna take a closer look at Okochi's platform, the numbers don't add up.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
You might wanna take a closer look at Okochi's platform, the numbers don't add up.
Care to enlighten us??

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
Edan

Quote:
I'm torn on this one. I like Okochi, but feel he lacks any experience and he hasn't lived in Regina for very long (which might be a positive, actually). Fougere has the most experience and I think he will follow Fiacco's footsteps, but something about him scares me. To me, he just comes across as sneaky and untrustworthy...not sure why that is.

The really crazy thing is...Last election only 25% of eligible voters went to the polls. With so many people running, it's conceivable that the winner may only have 5% of the citizens behind them in support.

I wholeheartedly agree that there is something about Fougere that isn't very trustworthy... oh wait... maybe it's the fact that he had his wrists pretty deep in the developmental mess that is the east end.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 12:18 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

What exactly happened in the East End? And why does it have a bad rep?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
What exactly happened in the East End? And why does it have a bad rep?
Quote:
Saskatchewan Construction Association - Board of Directors 2012

President:
Michael Fougere, SCA
306-525-0171
There is blatant conflict of interest here. Fourgee has been a Executive at SCA while holding a Council seat for many years. That type of stuff would not stand in Toronto where I go to school you would have to step down from that post.

He is deep in the builders/development scene. Now there is nothing wrong with development but its a blatant conflict of interest as you sat as Ward head when cheap land in the East End came on line and a fire sale of crap development came to follow. You need a Mayor whom will foster strategic and long term development, not sell the Barn for a quick penny.

The East end is a mess, aside from the Residential stuff, Forugee was mostly arm-twisting the IMO unsustainable large tract Commercial constructs that we have present there. Each new project siphons of its predecessors and now al l you have is a ghost trail or for lease signs in the oldest developments.

Fiacoo and Fourgere we're needed to get Regina out of its Coma but now that its awake you need a somebody whom is going to think of things strategically to keep things going. The CP yards and the old Mosiac site for instance could end up a mess of crap, or a long term project which ends up being something the City can be proud of.

Fourgere would equal East end style development all over the City as the SCA does not know anything else. Its MO is quick and cheap - They just want projects going they don't care what the end goal of what get built is as long as shovels are in the ground.

Fourgere is a the safe choice for people whom don't Regina to steer ahead and become a progressive City, a model for the rest of Canada. We are at a fork in the road where we can steer ahead with our growth and not make the same typical mistakes that Cities like Calgary have made.

Last edited by osmo; Oct 15, 2012 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 1:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
There is blatant conflict of interest here. Fourgee has been a Executive at SCA while holding a Council seat for many years. That type of stuff would not stand in Toronto where I go to school you would have to step down from that post.

He is deep in the builders/development scene. Now there is nothing wrong with development but its a blatant conflict of interest as you sat as Ward head when cheap land in the East End came on line and a fire sale of crap development came to follow. You need a Mayor whom will foster strategic and long term development, not sell the Barn for a quick penny.

The East end is a mess, aside from the Residential stuff, Forugee was mostly arm-twisting the IMO unsustainable large tract Commercial constructs that we have present there. Each new project siphons of its predecessors and now al l you have is a ghost trail or for lease signs in the oldest developments.

Fiacoo and Fourgere we're needed to get Regina out of its Coma but now that its awake you need a somebody whom is going to think of things strategically to keep things going. The CP yards and the old Mosiac site for instance could end up a mess of crap, or a long term project which ends up being something the City can be proud of.

Fourgere would equal East end style development all over the City as the SCA does not know anything else. Its MO is quick and cheap - They just want projects going they don't care what the end goal of what get built is as long as shovels are in the ground.

Fourgere is a the safe choice for people whom don't Regina to steer ahead and become a progressive City, a model for the rest of Canada. We are at a fork in the road where we can steer ahead with our growth and not make the same typical mistakes that Cities like Calgary have made.
How is being a member of the Regina City Council and Saskatoon Construction Association a conflict of interest? Fourgere is a shoe in unless another credible mayoral candidate comes out in favour of the RRI.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
How is being a member of the Regina City Council and Saskatoon Construction Association a conflict of interest? Fourgere is a shoe in unless another credible mayoral candidate comes out in favour of the RRI.
Typo for me it was SASKATCHEWAN Construction Association - SCA

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 7:41 PM

Pre-election poll to see where the candidates sit. Cast your vote.

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Reade...975/story.html

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 9:42 PM

Interesting three horse race, based on early numbers in the L-P poll. Not having Fiacco waltzing to victory makes things far more exciting. Not so much up here in 'Toontown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Interesting three horse race, based on early numbers in the L-P poll. Not having Fiacco waltzing to victory makes things far more exciting. Not so much up here in 'Toontown.
I don't put much faith in L-P polls.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 12:25 AM

from the looks of things Meka would be are next mayor would be interesting to see how close the race is compare to the poll after the election . But understanding this poll done by the LP is a informal poll .

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macblaze View Post
from the looks of things Meka would be are next mayor would be interesting to see how close the race is compare to the poll after the election . But understanding this poll done by the LP is a informal poll .
A big problem for me is that there have't been any official scientific polls done. I'm pretty evenly torn between Marian and Meka. If I knew which candidate actually had a better chance of beating Fougere, that's where I would park my vote.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 3:22 AM

A lot of young people are swinging towards Meka much for your reasons @Regina Boi. They want a vote that will keep Fourgere as far as away from the Mayor's seat as possible and view Meka as the legitimate chance at doing that. I think a lot of people's heart is in for Marian but logically view Meka as a sound choice.

Its just a matter of getting them out to vote but from twitter, facebook and just random chatter I am picking up from people the youth vote is almost exclusively for Meka and Marian. A lot of young people view Fougere as a robot since he has been largely invisible to the youth vote all campaign. Marian and Meka both have seemed to make an effort to go after young voters, the platforms are what they are but motivating people to understand this election matters and to get them out to vote is key. Anybody whom is successful at doing that will win.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:59 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan