HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 6:09 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,536
^ LMAO

This is not uncommon in suburban areas, I mean, I'm sure the houses near McGillivray and Kenaston have decent walk scores because all of the strip malls nearby, but for the most part no one is going to be walking there (especially in winter) unless it's a life or death situation.

20 seconds looking at that site through Google Street View will show you just how walkable it really is...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:36 PM
StNorberter StNorberter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ LMAO

This is not uncommon in suburban areas, I mean, I'm sure the houses near McGillivray and Kenaston have decent walk scores because all of the strip malls nearby, but for the most part no one is going to be walking there (especially in winter) unless it's a life or death situation.

20 seconds looking at that site through Google Street View will show you just how walkable it really is...
Walk scores are terribly misleading. I live in a neighborhood with a very low walk score, yet I'm in a 15 min walk of pretty much anything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:44 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Walk scores are terribly misleading. I live in a neighborhood with a very low walk score, yet I'm in a 15 min walk of pretty much anything.
How can that be? As I understand it, walk scores are just a score based on calculating what is within walking distance. If you have amenities within walking distance, you get a higher walk score regardless of what it actually looks like on the ground.

Lots of places get undeservedly high walk scores, but I can't think of any places that are unfairly low-ranked.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 11:20 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,267
__________________
WINNIPEG | Projects and Development
In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 11:30 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How can that be? As I understand it, walk scores are just a score based on calculating what is within walking distance. If you have amenities within walking distance, you get a higher walk score regardless of what it actually looks like on the ground.

Lots of places get undeservedly high walk scores, but I can't think of any places that are unfairly low-ranked.
I can think of some cul-de-sac suburban neighbourhoods where you might nearly back onto the edge of big box retail. The 'computed' walkscore could be very low (since the "official" route would be long and roundabout) but the real walkability could be higher (since there are unmapped shortcuts and paths cutting from the neighbourhood to the retail).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 2:57 AM
Flatland Metropolis's Avatar
Flatland Metropolis Flatland Metropolis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 217
Always nice to see cranes going up and the area does need more student housing. Mixed feelings on all these vertical developments on South Pembina and the Perimeter. Would be way happier seeing this stuff downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 2:54 PM
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's a good development but a funny one too because the proximity to the University is rendered somewhat meaningless by the unpleasantness of Chancellor Matheson as a pedestrian corridor. I'm sure a good many of the university students living in the apartments near Superstore probably drive or bus to school, as it's a hike on a -25 day. And as we all know, Pembina is not the most walkable street either.

But hey, I'll take this development. With all the action going on along South Pembina these days, maybe we'll see a gradual urbanization of the area in the same vein as what has happened in a place like Richmond BC, although we obviously won't match the intensity of what is going on there.
Having just come back from touring the campuses at UBC and U of Washington, it boggles the mind why the U of M hasn't built up residences and retail right on campus better than they have.

UWash opened 3 new residences last year!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:00 PM
Winnipegger Winnipegger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Having just come back from touring the campuses at UBC and U of Washington, it boggles the mind why the U of M hasn't built up residences and retail right on campus better than they have.

UWash opened 3 new residences last year!
Money is the reason. For most of history, the demand for on-campus living at the UofM wasn't very high due to most students being from Winnipeg or Manitoba. And those from Manitoba but not Winnipeg would often choose to find housing in the surrounding neighborhoods because it would be cheaper.

Living in residence is expensive, and as such, demand for it in a campus that primarily served Winnipeggers and Manitobans was minimal, especially when they already lived in the City or had family they could stay with.

Only recently (last 15 or so years) has international enrollment picked up, pushing demand up for living spaces near or on campus. I believe that residences at the UofM have long wait lists now, but given the fiscal constraints many public institutions in Manitoba face and the long list of pending projects the University has on it's plate, significant investments in residences likely won't happen because there are so many other things that need to be done that have been on hold for much longer. That, combined with the precarious nature of international enrollment means that building residences in Manitoba is probably risky when the University's return on investment is stretched over several decades.

On the flip side, the University's hesitation to significantly expand it's residence offerings (aside from Pembina Hall) has likely benefited home owners/landlords in Fort Richmond along with apartment and condo developers looking to invest along Pembina, Bison, and University Crescent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:26 PM
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Money is the reason. For most of history, the demand for on-campus living at the UofM wasn't very high due to most students being from Winnipeg or Manitoba. And those from Manitoba but not Winnipeg would often choose to find housing in the surrounding neighborhoods because it would be cheaper.

Living in residence is expensive, and as such, demand for it in a campus that primarily served Winnipeggers and Manitobans was minimal, especially when they already lived in the City or had family they could stay with.

Only recently (last 15 or so years) has international enrollment picked up, pushing demand up for living spaces near or on campus. I believe that residences at the UofM have long wait lists now, but given the fiscal constraints many public institutions in Manitoba face and the long list of pending projects the University has on it's plate, significant investments in residences likely won't happen because there are so many other things that need to be done that have been on hold for much longer. That, combined with the precarious nature of international enrollment means that building residences in Manitoba is probably risky when the University's return on investment is stretched over several decades.

On the flip side, the University's hesitation to significantly expand it's residence offerings (aside from Pembina Hall) has likely benefited home owners/landlords in Fort Richmond along with apartment and condo developers looking to invest along Pembina, Bison, and University Crescent.
Yeah, I didn't flesh out my original note well enough.
There's ongoing complaints about illegal student housing in Fort Richmond and other locations just off campus. Well, if you had attractive options that were on campus that would be somewhat mitigated.

Those two campuses I cited were very nicely compact and relatively self-contained. You can walk/bike pretty much everywhere and get to the services you need. UBC is different than UWash, as it's off on the point and fairly isolated from the rest of the community. Heck, they have their own high school on campus! UWash isn't physically separated from the surrounding community, so you have the immediate neighborhoods serving almost exclusively the housing, service, and entertainment needs of the campus.

The Southwood development is, in typical Manitoba fashion, decades behind the curve.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:02 PM
joshlemer joshlemer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ LMAO

This is not uncommon in suburban areas, I mean, I'm sure the houses near McGillivray and Kenaston have decent walk scores because all of the strip malls nearby, but for the most part no one is going to be walking there (especially in winter) unless it's a life or death situation.

20 seconds looking at that site through Google Street View will show you just how walkable it really is...
I think you're underselling the area and especially this specific lot, just a bit. Just two lots down Pembina you have around a half-dozen restaurants -- Santa Lucia's, the Wings place, Shwarma Khan. North one or two lots is an other half-dozen or so restaurants and Tim Hortons. A bit further at 8 minutes to the South on pembina there's an other cluster of shops, restuarants including Shoppers.

Right in the back yard of the tower is Superstore, a price-competitive huge grocer with good quality, as well as autopac and a in-store liquor mart. The walk to university is ~19 minutes according to Google Maps. If 19 minutes is too far of a walk then I don't know what to tell you. A bit further north, it's about 11 minutes walk fro the new rapid transit corridor exit on Markham, and all that goes with that (an other Shoppers, Giant Tiger, Safeway, etc etc). I've lived right in the middle of the Plateau neighborhood in Montreal and it arguably was not as nice as this (granted, it did look much nicer).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:27 PM
WildCake WildCake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Yeah, I didn't flesh out my original note well enough.
There's ongoing complaints about illegal student housing in Fort Richmond and other locations just off campus. Well, if you had attractive options that were on campus that would be somewhat mitigated.

Those two campuses I cited were very nicely compact and relatively self-contained. You can walk/bike pretty much everywhere and get to the services you need. UBC is different than UWash, as it's off on the point and fairly isolated from the rest of the community. Heck, they have their own high school on campus! UWash isn't physically separated from the surrounding community, so you have the immediate neighborhoods serving almost exclusively the housing, service, and entertainment needs of the campus.

The Southwood development is, in typical Manitoba fashion, decades behind the curve.
The complaints of illegal housing have been mostly in the last few years, from a popular media standpoint. As previously mentioned the U of M already has projects on the go and probably can’t be reactive to build additional student housing on a whim, particularly not to the scale of the Pembina hall residence. I’m sure some preliminary plans are cooking but that could be years before ideas are ready and funding is secured.

This has left a void to fill which developer have capitalised on, as we can see with the new multi-storey apartments now being built along Pembina and University Crescent.

That being said, I know the U of M has been making sure the redevelopment of the Southwood golf course is well thought out, but I feel that they are losing opportunities to take that huge amount of students in Fort Richmond and put them in housing that can generate revenue for them, as opposed to having them housed off-campus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 1:50 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
I think you're underselling the area and especially this specific lot, just a bit. Just two lots down Pembina you have around a half-dozen restaurants -- Santa Lucia's, the Wings place, Shwarma Khan. North one or two lots is an other half-dozen or so restaurants and Tim Hortons. A bit further at 8 minutes to the South on pembina there's an other cluster of shops, restuarants including Shoppers.

Right in the back yard of the tower is Superstore, a price-competitive huge grocer with good quality, as well as autopac and a in-store liquor mart. The walk to university is ~19 minutes according to Google Maps. If 19 minutes is too far of a walk then I don't know what to tell you. A bit further north, it's about 11 minutes walk fro the new rapid transit corridor exit on Markham, and all that goes with that (an other Shoppers, Giant Tiger, Safeway, etc etc). I've lived right in the middle of the Plateau neighborhood in Montreal and it arguably was not as nice as this (granted, it did look much nicer).
I'm sure that Pembina and Bison is probably a bit better for walkability than average when it comes to suburban MURBs in that there are places you can actually walk to, but if you have ever been around there you will know it is an unpleasant walk. Which is generally the case when you're walking next to a route designated as a "highway". So it's a bit disingenuous of the developer to sell this as some kind of walkable area to unsuspecting students who will end up being sorely disappointed.

Walking through the vast open field to the U of M campus might be pleasant enough in June but it's not something I'd be keen on doing in January. Also, walking along a broad, relatively fast moving arterial street lined with parking lots to get to a big box store is not really my idea of a good walkable environment, but to each their own
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 2:59 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is online now
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm sure that Pembina and Bison is probably a bit better for walkability than average when it comes to suburban MURBs in that there are places you can actually walk to, but if you have ever been around there you will know it is an unpleasant walk. Which is generally the case when you're walking next to a route designated as a "highway". So it's a bit disingenuous of the developer to sell this as some kind of walkable area to unsuspecting students who will end up being sorely disappointed.

Walking through the vast open field to the U of M campus might be pleasant enough in June but it's not something I'd be keen on doing in January. Also, walking along a broad, relatively fast moving arterial street lined with parking lots to get to a big box store is not really my idea of a good walkable environment, but to each their own
Superstore is less than 5 minutes walk away so at least it wouldn't be a terrible walk for groceries, which is one of the biggest challenges when it comes to the walkability of an area. That being said, I don't disagree with this statement. It is in fact rather disingenuous of the developer to call it a walkable area. Hopefully the UofM pulls its head out of its ass and focuses more residential and mixed use development towards that end of Chancellor Matheson.
__________________
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
Federalist #10, James Madison
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 9:41 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Superstore is less than 5 minutes walk away so at least it wouldn't be a terrible walk for groceries, which is one of the biggest challenges when it comes to the walkability of an area. That being said, I don't disagree with this statement. It is in fact rather disingenuous of the developer to call it a walkable area. Hopefully the UofM pulls its head out of its ass and focuses more residential and mixed use development towards that end of Chancellor Matheson.
Wasn't that what the land of the former Southwood golf course was touted for? How many decades before any of that is developed, it's been what 7-8 years vacant and just the SW bus corridor has gone in there!
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted May 23, 2019, 9:13 AM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,267
__________________
WINNIPEG | Projects and Development
In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:36 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,536
^ Thanks for this and all of the other updates, Wpg_Guy!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 7:17 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,267
__________________
WINNIPEG | Projects and Development
In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 7:26 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,267
__________________
WINNIPEG | Projects and Development
In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 7:56 PM
OTA in Winnipeg's Avatar
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 894
Driving up Pembina that crane looks massive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:40 AM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,267
__________________
WINNIPEG | Projects and Development
In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.