HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 5:42 PM
NorthStarsProject NorthStarsProject is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Downtown Biz Winnipeg #1 concern - Why downtown will continue to struggle

Good Day. I was asked to comment about last Fridays banquet involving many downtown businesses and I was wanting to leave a thread for others to discuss regarding the #1 concern that many believe will continue to keep downtown Winnipeg from growing.

And that is the issue of immigrants/refugees and how it equates to the destruction and current state of Portage Place and businesses around Portage Avenue.

It seems that downtown Winnipeg West-side Portage-Ellice to Salter-Sargeant has become a haven for new Canadians with Government subsidized housing.

Walking downtown Winnipeg during hours outside of rush hour and lunch time there can be approx 100-200 visible minorities not including the Natives.

When the issue for economic growth and to stabilize the current stream of economic wealth that has been in the works for the last 15 years there is a serious concern for local businesses that people will not continue to shop/dine/visit downtown because of the undesirable welcoming for Winnipegers.

A poll done by the agency with the results released last week. Surprising the homeless-pandhandlers was not the #1 reason why people will not visit downtown or live downtown.

It is the visible minorities that they believe make downtown undesirable.
Parking comes in at #2.

Walking in Portage Place, City Place is night and day from it was 15 yrs ago and even during game and concern nights presently.

If businesses do not want to invest in downtown this can be a major downfall for large developments such as True North Square and more importantly future projects.


What can be done? What will be done?

And that will be the discussion for downtown business agencies beginning in the summer 2017.
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 5:49 PM
NorthStarsProject NorthStarsProject is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
My response to the matter is this is the other side of what we Canadians get in return as assisting other nations when it comes to refugees and immigrants.

We have to expect that over night people will not adjust to Canadian life and we live in a world of impressions and we react to such.

What can not be ignored is that majority of Canadians will not visit areas that appear to accept minorities. This can not be ignored. right or wrong this is what happens.

The result is suburban segregation and it hurts the economic core especially downtown Winnipeg.

First it was the natives.

Now its the refugees.

Neither benefit from being downtown and sadly it hurts the downtown business core for the target consumer.

The solution should be easy to change peoples opinions. But sadly it is a lot harder than just sending out a message which our Prime Minister fails to do more of.
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 5:50 PM
Tacheguy Tacheguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarsProject View Post
Good Day. I was asked to comment about last Fridays banquet involving many downtown businesses and I was wanting to leave a thread for others to discuss regarding the #1 concern that many believe will continue to keep downtown Winnipeg from growing.

And that is the issue of immigrants/refugees and how it equates to the destruction and current state of Portage Place and businesses around Portage Avenue.

It seems that downtown Winnipeg West-side Portage-Ellice to Salter-Sargeant has become a haven for new Canadians with Government subsidized housing.

Walking downtown Winnipeg during hours outside of rush hour and lunch time there can be approx 100-200 visible minorities not including the Natives.

When the issue for economic growth and to stabilize the current stream of economic wealth that has been in the works for the last 15 years there is a serious concern for local businesses that people will not continue to shop/dine/visit downtown because of the undesirable welcoming for Winnipegers.

A poll done by the agency with the results released last week. Surprising the homeless-pandhandlers was not the #1 reason why people will not visit downtown or live downtown.

It is the visible minorities that they believe make downtown undesirable.
Parking comes in at #2.

Walking in Portage Place, City Place is night and day from it was 15 yrs ago and even during game and concern nights presently.

If businesses do not want to invest in downtown this can be a major downfall for large developments such as True North Square and more importantly future projects.


What can be done? What will be done?

And that will be the discussion for downtown business agencies beginning in the summer 2017.
if this is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then it is a bit disturbing to me. I do a fair bit of volunteer work with those folks and, for the most part, they are just good people looking to make a life in Canada. I know some who had jobs within days of arriving in Canada with barely a word of English. personally I think they add to public safety and animate the area. I love going by central park up there and watching the activity. not saying there are no problems, of course there are..
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:13 PM
OTA in Winnipeg's Avatar
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarsProject View Post
My response to the matter is this is the other side of what we Canadians get in return as assisting other nations when it comes to refugees and immigrants.

We have to expect that over night people will not adjust to Canadian life and we live in a world of impressions and we react to such.

What can not be ignored is that majority of Canadians will not visit areas that appear to accept minorities. This can not be ignored. right or wrong this is what happens.

The result is suburban segregation and it hurts the economic core especially downtown Winnipeg.

First it was the natives.

Now its the refugees.

Neither benefit from being downtown and sadly it hurts the downtown business core for the target consumer.

The solution should be easy to change peoples opinions. But sadly it is a lot harder than just sending out a message which our Prime Minister fails to do more of.
I work with a lot of immigrants and every one that I know is educating themselves and adapting to Canadian society. And, every one of them is employed. Great people too.

This smells of racism.
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:15 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,336
I don't get it. People are scared of immigrants?? Maybe that's what wrong with people, they're scared. That take seems off.

I see people post stuff on Facebook about how scared they are for the children. Scared of what you ask? 'ohh everything that's on the news.' Come on people.
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:21 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,536
The OP's post does not ring true to me at all.
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:28 PM
NorthStarsProject NorthStarsProject is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The OP's post does not ring true to me at all.

This is fact and can not be argued.

If you disagree with me then you must not be living in Winnipeg.

What are the reasons over the years why people do not want to live or play downtown?

The natives. am i wrong? you can view it as racism but that is what people think so deal with it. And your ignorance pretending this is not a issue is why businesses can not survive.

Why do you think Portage Place is empty? Do you think natives and immigrants who make up most of the patrons bring good business?

This has been a major issue in Winnipeg for downtown biz and they are dealing with it.

Why do you think Mark Chipman wants to fix the homeless and drug addiction problem?
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:29 PM
NorthStarsProject NorthStarsProject is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't get it. People are scared of immigrants?? Maybe that's what wrong with people, they're scared. That take seems off.

I see people post stuff on Facebook about how scared they are for the children. Scared of what you ask? 'ohh everything that's on the news.' Come on people.

Why do you think people want to move out of the Maples and why Garden City shopping mall is empty?
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:32 PM
NorthStarsProject NorthStarsProject is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
if this is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then it is a bit disturbing to me. I do a fair bit of volunteer work with those folks and, for the most part, they are just good people looking to make a life in Canada. I know some who had jobs within days of arriving in Canada with barely a word of English. personally I think they add to public safety and animate the area. I love going by central park up there and watching the activity. not saying there are no problems, of course there are..

I can speak for others when I say good people or not native canadians just like Americans do not want to be around refugees. Right or wrong. This is the issue. And why people do not to come downtown.

This is simply factual and can not be argued.

And this issue has been ignored for too many years. And when its brought up. It is viewed as racism and should be ignored. While civic leaders are left wondering why things socially and economically are falling apart.
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:35 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,536
^ I meant refugees and immigrants. I've never heard that mentioned as an issue. Not once. Never seen or heard of any kind of incident either. I'm puzzled as to your sources for that.

But yes, I've heard gripes about indigenous people a million times.
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:40 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarsProject View Post
Why do you think people want to move out of the Maples and why Garden City shopping mall is empty?
There's no reason for me to go to Garden City to shop. That's why.

I'm not disagreeing with whatever poll you're referencing. But I don't believe it's as clean as you make it out to be. Most people I know don't go downtown because of homeless people, not because of immigrants. I've never heard of that until now. Born and raised in Winnipeg.
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:41 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarsProject View Post
I can speak for others when I say good people or not native canadians just like Americans do not want to be around refugees. Right or wrong. This is the issue. And why people do not to come downtown.

This is simply factual and can not be argued.

And this issue has been ignored for too many years. And when its brought up. It is viewed as racism and should be ignored. While civic leaders are left wondering why things socially and economically are falling apart.
What the hell is this? Are you just trolling for racism here? 'Non native Canadians' are not good people then? So First Nations are bad people?? Get out of here.

You can not speak for others because you are just one person. Touched a nerve here if you cant tell. People are not avoiding downtown because of immigrants. I'll argue that fact with anyone.
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:43 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,536
^ Who is moving out of The Maples? Last I checked the area seems to be doing well... there are several new subdivisions sprouting up around there selling standard issue nice big suburban homes, so there must be solid demand for housing.

This all strikes me as nonsense.
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:44 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,336
I've come to the conclusion northsstar is just a troll from who knows where and should be barred.
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:45 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I've come to the conclusion northsstar is just a troll from who knows where and should be barred.
Hard to argue.
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 6:47 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,380
What is the purpose of this thread, really? You can't just put something like this out there, say it's simply a fact, and attack any ensuing comments that take an alternate viewpoint.

The original post is working from a flawed premise. I'm not at all convinced that the presence of visible minorities is the problem. Have you been on a university campus lately, or anywhere in south Winnipeg? Fort Richmond/South Pembina Hwy is incredibly diverse. So is Waverley West. Are these areas perceived to be unsafe or undesirable?

The image problem of downtown Winnipeg is one of poverty, disorder, and social incivility. Unfortunately some folks seem to think than any non-white person in the downtown area is the problem. Not so at all.

The new immigrant/refugee communities around Central Park have actually brought a lot of life to the area. Many suburban Winnipeggers love the diversity of the ethnic restaurants of the West End. But these Winnipeggers don't love being confronted by visible/audible poverty, incivility and disorder on the street.

I think Chipman would like to move the homelessness/addiction problem out of the SHED area. What is his plan to fix it? I haven't heard much concrete about this.
     
     
End
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.