HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 11:06 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 8,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
LOL...that website is hilarious. I wonder if anyone has been duped by it.
They have an elevator that takes you to Soho?
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 11:40 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I actually stayed at the St. Regis about 35 Years ago and still have nightmares. We were students and one of group booked us in there to save money. I recall opening the drapes and there was a brick wall outside the window.
I didn't think the St. Regis was all that bad... I knew a couple from Calgary who swore by it right through to the end of the 90s, although I have to admit I wondered about that myself.

As for the Concord's website, it looks like they just uploaded a template. Whoever owns that place is just running it into the ground hard... what an eyesore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 2:02 PM
OTA in Winnipeg's Avatar
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I noticed about last year the Windsor stopped being a vendor. It's been better around there since - wonder if it has to do with new police HQ though (lots of cars pulling out right on the corner there).

Are these places actually hotels? Whats the story with places like this. Can't see anyone paying to stay in one.

(sorry if super dumb question but I walk by the Windsor almost every day and just assumed it had people living for really cheap in the 'hotel' side of it)
Probably a good thing the vendor closed. Tenants come and go, some are long timers. Bedbugs and cockroaches in the whole place, They let the tenants keep cats to control the rodents.

And there's also the McLaren Hotel and the Manwin.

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Apr 15, 2017 at 2:28 PM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:37 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 10,478
The premise of this thread is not only mistaken, it's malthusian and elitist. Poor people should be allowed to have fun.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I noticed about last year the Windsor stopped being a vendor. It's been better around there since - wonder if it has to do with new police HQ though (lots of cars pulling out right on the corner there).

Are these places actually hotels? Whats the story with places like this. Can't see anyone paying to stay in one.

(sorry if super dumb question but I walk by the Windsor almost every day and just assumed it had people living for really cheap in the 'hotel' side of it)

Like Riverman said, they're long stay. They basically provide low income housing subsidized by booze sales. Unless we want to pay more taxes to rehouse their tenants in state subsidized places, or suffer with more crime and homelessness when these people hit the streets, I suggest we keep them around.

They also provide transitional housing for people getting out of jail and such that have nowhere else to go. I once had a pretty wild night at the Windsor drinking with a guy who had just gotten out of jail and was living in the room that used to have a confederate flag in the window. I got him to take it down. It's really weird up there, anyway. Cats everywhere. One bathroom to a floor so this guy kept pissing in the sink in his room. I bounced when the cracks dealer rolled through and started getting squirrelly with me.

I'm too old now for those kind of antics but I do miss the Windsor vendor. Between it and ovi closing, it's getting hard to buy beer around here.
__________________
no
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 8:43 PM
tree's Avatar
tree tree is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
The premise of this thread is not only mistaken, it's malthusian and elitist. Poor people should be allowed to have fun.





Like Riverman said, they're long stay. They basically provide low income housing subsidized by booze sales. Unless we want to pay more taxes to rehouse their tenants in state subsidized places, or suffer with more crime and homelessness when these people hit the streets, I suggest we keep them around.

They also provide transitional housing for people getting out of jail and such that have nowhere else to go. I once had a pretty wild night at the Windsor drinking with a guy who had just gotten out of jail and was living in the room that used to have a confederate flag in the window. I got him to take it down. It's really weird up there, anyway. Cats everywhere. One bathroom to a floor so this guy kept pissing in the sink in his room. I bounced when the cracks dealer rolled through and started getting squirrelly with me.

I'm too old now for those kind of antics but I do miss the Windsor vendor. Between it and ovi closing, it's getting hard to buy beer around here.
Thanks. I wasn't trying to sound judgemental but honestly had no idea what goes on. Just doesn't seem like it would pass health codes etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 9:51 PM
hexrae's Avatar
hexrae hexrae is offline
Armchair urbanist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I didn't think the St. Regis was all that bad... I knew a couple from Calgary who swore by it right through to the end of the 90s, although I have to admit I wondered about that myself.
I remember staying at the hotel a few times in the early 90s as a child. Didn't notice or see anything "out of place". But then again, I was probably only 10 or so and wasn't up late to notice anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As for the Concord's website, it looks like they just uploaded a template. Whoever owns that place is just running it into the ground hard... what an eyesore.
An effort at least like the Four Crowns Inn further up McPhillips would be nice.
__________________
[Insert profound statement here]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 10:56 PM
The Macallan The Macallan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 106
Warning: a somewhat gross story. Years ago, I flew into Winnipeg late one evening and checked into the Airport Howard Johnson where I had a reservation. I was very tired after a long day and a flight delay so I just slipped into the bed. I had a good night's sleep and awakened with some energy. I threw back the covers and looked around for the first time. There beside me on the bed was a more or less circular bloodstain perhaps an inch and a half in diameter. It wasn't fresh enough to be my blood but it had clearly never passed through a wash. Besides, I don't have the body parts necessary to make that kind of bloodstain. I realized it was exactly where a woman would place her lower parts after swinging her legs and sitting up in bed in the morning.

I showered much more vigorously than usual and checked out. Of course, I complained at the front desk that they hadn't changed the sheets between guests and described the bloodstain.. The head chambermaid happened to be there and firmly denied they could have neglected to change the sheets. Her body language and tone edged over into insult. Obviously I didn't know what I was talking about. There was not even a hint of an apology. I said quietly but firmly,"I'm a married man I know exactly what kind of bloodstain it was."

I was so angry I didn't even ask for my money back and I have never since darkened the door of a Hojo, anywhere.

I hear that the hotel has closed down. Can't say that I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 11:27 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,644
the quest in sure has become sketchy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 12:01 AM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macallan View Post
Warning: a somewhat gross story. Years ago, I flew into Winnipeg late one evening and checked into the Airport Howard Johnson where I had a reservation. I was very tired after a long day and a flight delay so I just slipped into the bed. I had a good night's sleep and awakened with some energy. I threw back the covers and looked around for the first time. There beside me on the bed was a more or less circular bloodstain perhaps an inch and a half in diameter. It wasn't fresh enough to be my blood but it had clearly never passed through a wash. Besides, I don't have the body parts necessary to make that kind of bloodstain. I realized it was exactly where a woman would place her lower parts after swinging her legs and sitting up in bed in the morning.

I showered much more vigorously than usual and checked out. Of course, I complained at the front desk that they hadn't changed the sheets between guests and described the bloodstain.. The head chambermaid happened to be there and firmly denied they could have neglected to change the sheets. Her body language and tone edged over into insult. Obviously I didn't know what I was talking about. There was not even a hint of an apology. I said quietly but firmly,"I'm a married man I know exactly what kind of bloodstain it was."

I was so angry I didn't even ask for my money back and I have never since darkened the door of a Hojo, anywhere.

I hear that the hotel has closed down. Can't say that I'm sorry.
That Howard Johnson was the subject of many Tripadvisor reviews in the same vein as yours... HoJo is a weird chain with no real brand standards, in some Asian cities it means large, full-service downtown hotels, while in North America you end up with dumps like the one that used to exist by the airport.

Typical Asian Howard Johnson:




Typical North American Howard Johnson:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 2:44 AM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is offline
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Kingdom of Skeletor
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That Howard Johnson was the subject of many Tripadvisor reviews in the same vein as yours... HoJo is a weird chain with no real brand standards, in some Asian cities it means large, full-service downtown hotels, while in North America you end up with dumps like the one that used to exist by the airport.

Typical Asian Howard Johnson:




Typical North American Howard Johnson:

I used to go to a reception there when it was the Howard Johnson. Man, that place was stuck in the 70's, with the brown wood paneling, the white plaster stucco walls, and brown floor tiling. It didn't help when a strip bar was attached to that hotel too.

Thank goodness it's now a Holiday Inn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 4:12 AM
Labroco's Avatar
Labroco Labroco is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I would not consider the Sherbrook that "seedy" - sure it's low-end, but a lot of locals hang out there, socials and good parties a lot, Tallest Poppy.

The Garrick Hotel (yes, not the Garrick Centre) has become a popular music venue in recent years.

The Woodbine was taken over by new people a year or two ago. They're freshening up the place a little. Sure, not converting to boutique hotel by any means, but they put up some new signage at the front and rear entrances last week. It's full of hipsters watching music on weekends now.

There are definitely some BAD ones around that need to be closed, don't get me wrong, but they're not all horrible. Just because they're not everyone's cup of tea doesn't mean they don't provide a net benefit for the area. Woodbine in particular has been much more diligent with security in the last year or two, making sure people who are too far gone aren't hanging out outside. Plus, if it were gone - is anyone in the Exchange going to get beer after 10 pm?
The Woodbine is a disaster! It is beyond comprehension how the Liquor Commission would not just shut them down for countless infractions.
How can a business in this day and age allow patrons to fall on to the street every hour of the day drunk? The negative impact on the whole area is Huge! Either the vendor license should be just revoked or CV should buy it! I have no issue with the hotel rooms being used as social housing. I have no issue with alcohol being sold on the premises. It's the vendor component which is the problem. If CV is still interested in the exchange BUY THE VENDOR component of this business! That's how you turn a street around and help the businesses flourish... A few hundred thousand dollars would buy this problem and change the street forever... I'm so tired of of this on going problem for the last 30 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 5:32 AM
goldenboi's Avatar
goldenboi goldenboi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 132
I agree with biguc. These hotels are not the real problem, but rather they are a symptom of a much deeper problem. And often they can even be a serious help to people who need a cheep place to stay. Getting rid of them would not get rid of the problem but it would only displace the already struggling people which may even make things worse. Why don't we discuss how we can solve the root problem that these hotels represent? What does everyone think the root problem is?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 2:39 PM
OTA in Winnipeg's Avatar
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboi View Post
I agree with biguc. These hotels are not the real problem, but rather they are a symptom of a much deeper problem. And often they can even be a serious help to people who need a cheep place to stay. Getting rid of them would not get rid of the problem but it would only displace the already struggling people which may even make things worse. Why don't we discuss how we can solve the root problem that these hotels represent? What does everyone think the root problem is?
Addiction and mental health. And in this city the effects of FASD on the population is enormous.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 5:16 PM
EndoftheBeginning's Avatar
EndoftheBeginning EndoftheBeginning is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 267
Garrick Hotel was just added to the list of Historical Resources under the Historical Resources By-law by Property, Heritage and Downtown Development committee (April 11 2017 meeting). All the character defining elements were exterior - nothing of value remains in the interior.

It cannot be demolished now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:32 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
It cannot be demolished now.
That isn't true since a serious plan to redevelop any heritage site can appeal a heritage designation and have it removed. Eaton's on Portage Ave would be an example of that as is the RRC Exchange campus. The Bay building on Portage Ave would likely also receive a lift for the designation for the right plan.

In terms of the issue with hotels, it isn't buildings themselves but the deeper issues to lead people to live there in the first place that need to be addressed. If you can solve the reason people are living in hotels and effectively homeless the need to "close" the hotels goes away.

As others have said closing specific hotels isn't going to solve the issue but just play whack a mole with the problem as it will pop up some place else.

All that said, I am surprised the Malbourgh hasn't been mentioned on the list yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:15 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Garrick Hotel was just added to the list of Historical Resources under the Historical Resources By-law by Property, Heritage and Downtown Development committee (April 11 2017 meeting). All the character defining elements were exterior - nothing of value remains in the interior.

It cannot be demolished now.
The old elevator is cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:40 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
All that said, I am surprised the Malbourgh hasn't been mentioned on the list yet.
The Marlborough is a little down at the heels, but I don't think it's in the same category as the other seedy hotels which, for the most part, consist of SRO rooms, a beverage room, and a vendor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 7:52 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Marlborough is a little down at the heels, but I don't think it's in the same category as the other seedy hotels which, for the most part, consist of SRO rooms, a beverage room, and a vendor.
From what I heard Marlborough heavily runs SRO now. Granted they closed down their beverage room and never had a vendor. It is common to see paramedics on site there more often than the Garrick but considering Marlborough has more rooms that makes sense. That said Marlborough has far higher number of visits than the less "down on its heels" Radisson which has a similar room count.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 9:39 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Radisson has 263 rooms, Marlborough has 148.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:16 PM
DirtWednesday DirtWednesday is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 125
Engineering enthusiasts discussing socio-economic issues.
*cringe*
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.