HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This may be one for the "Sports in Canadian Culture" thread, but the relative popularity of the Rush in Saskatoon, the Moose in Winnipeg, etc., does speak to the fact that as much as Canada seems like a bit of a sports monoculture with the NHL at the top, there are certain regional quirks and exceptions.

(And no, no Meatloaf for me... isn't that guy pushing 70 by now?! I'm amazed he's still touring!)
I understand, Who talks about the Gold Eyes other than the Winnipeg community( to any large degree)...

But as many before me have mentioned, I'm glad it's been a success for the community and those that are interested in Lacrosse..

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:11 PM

This thread reminds me, I saw an advertisement for the Saskatchewan Rush at the Palm Springs airport in February. At the time I thought it was odd for a Saskatchewan team to be advertised in the U.S., especially with no direct flights to Palm Springs from either Saskatoon or Regina.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
This thread reminds me, I saw an advertisement for the Saskatchewan Rush at the Palm Springs airport in February. At the time I thought it was odd for a Saskatchewan team to be advertised in the U.S., especially with no direct flights to Palm Springs from either Saskatoon or Regina.
That is weird. Seems like an expensive way to reach potential fans given how few people seeing it would actually ever buy a ticket. Maybe it was just some sort of vanity thing by the team owner... does he have a place down there?

Here it is!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 4:42 PM

Quote:
That is weird. Seems like an expensive way to reach potential fans given how few people seeing it would actually ever buy a ticket. Maybe it was just some sort of vanity thing by the team owner... does he have a place down there?

Here it is!
I noticed it when I was in Palm Springs and every time I've flown there I see multiple people from my Saskatoon to Calgary flight continue on through and follow me on to the Calgary to Palm Springs flight. I agree it's a weird bit of advertising but it didn't go unnoticed.

My guess is that he had signed a multi year advertising lease when the team was in Edmonton and he just changed the sign to reflect the new location of the team. Edmonton unlike Saskatoon does have direct flights to Palm Springs.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
If TNSE is going to have a secondary tenant at the MTS Centre, then it couldn't do better than the Moose. Great hockey, reasonably priced, relevant to Jets fans.

Even though a NLL team might bring in a few more fans per game, I'd think that 38 Moose home games would make TNSE a lot more money... the fact that the farm team is in the same building doesn't hurt either.

That said, the concert schedule doesn't seem as busy as it once was with the low C$. Maybe a third sports team at MTS Centre isn't that far-fetched?
I think the challenge with the Moose is not how it does at MTS Centre compared to other possible options but rather how the Moose could do in an appropriate hockey friendly market, like Saskatoon, that does not have another pro team. In other words would the Moose sell more tickets in Winnipeg or Saskatoon for example.

I think there is room for a few more sports dates in winter and if NLL is only the nine home games others mentioned it could work from a schedule perspective. The challenge becomes would the lacrosse dollars be getting pulled out of the small pool as potential Moose ticket sales?

In terms of concerts, without doing in depth analysis I think it is roughly even with where it has been. The change there is some of the smaller shows are being moved to the now TNSE controlled Walker Theater. There were reportedly a number of concerts in MTS Centre selling in the 5,000 ticket range that would work better at the Walker even with its lower seat count.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crisis
..I could see the season ticket base realistically being in the 10,000 range for next year. Given that they averaged about 7,000 fans in Edmonton, the Owner, Bruce urban now looks like a genius for moving the team to Toontown..
Ya, It makes Bruce Urban look like prince charming finding the right arena/city for his cinderella champion team..

I bet Edmonton civic officials are kicking themselves thinking that the Rush had no options outside of Edmonton on The Prairies. Bruce Urban obviously did his homework and made the right gamble on moving Rush a few hours down the Yellowhead hwy to the largest arena on The Prairies outside of Calgary/Edmonton.

The Rush fan bus from Edmonton doesn't have far to go & the Saskatoon young demographic, as compared to other Canadian cities, plus its acceptance of a winning team proved to be a symbiotic relation with the team. As the Rush started winning more, the fans started to arrive and the team was able to feed off that energy.

My guess is that SaskTel Centre will add in the 1,000 remaining seats in available space in a couple years & ride that wave.

Quote:
^ As was I'm sure the case in Saskatoon 18 months ago, Winnipeggers are barely aware of the NLL's existence right now. But with the noise coming out of Saskatoon and if Edmonton gets a team again, it could become a big deal regionally and then it's possible that TNSE would get in on it.

That said, TNSE is pretty busy with two pro hockey teams + the usual entertainment lineup at MTS Centre. The Moose were a relatively easy sell here given the Jets tie-in and the fact that it's a familiar product, whereas the NLL would take some real marketing oomph.

I think it could work in Winnipeg but with all the things TNSE has on the go right now I'm just not sure how much of a priority it is for them.

Anyway, I wonder if Saskatoon will end up becoming the NLL's number one hotbed?

That said, the concert schedule doesn't seem as busy as it once was with the low C$. Maybe a third sports team at MTS Centre isn't that far-fetched?
It would be great if Saskatoon paved the way for Winnipeg to get a NLL team someday, I'm not sure if that puts a lot of pressure organizing time at MTS Centre, It seems like concerts do seem to pass Winnipeg up as compared to Saskatoon.. Maroon 5, Neil Diamond last year plus Garth Brooks this week in Saskatoon but not in Winnipeg just to name a few.

Quote:
originally posted by North_Regina_Boy
I Would as well.
Winnipeg Warriors maybe. And maybe a team in Ottawa the Ripsaws possibly?
..Ottawa had a NLL last decade before it moved to Edmonton but it didn't gain much attention and exhibition games in recent years haven't been well attended either..

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post

It would be great if Saskatoon paved the way for Winnipeg to get a NLL team someday, I'm not sure if that puts a lot of pressure organizing time at MTS Centre, It seems like concerts do seem to pass Winnipeg up as compared to Saskatoon.. Maroon 5, Neil Diamond last year plus Garth Brooks this week in Saskatoon but not in Winnipeg just to name a few.
lol.. Not to be looking for errors in posts, but Garth Brooks has a few shows, lined up at MTS....

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/Garth-Bro...dp_Artist_Name

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:47 PM

Quote:
I bet Edmonton civic officials are kicking themselves thinking that the Rush had no options outside of Edmonton on The Prairies.
Umm, there is another large, NHL hosting arena on the Prairies you missed that is bigger than SaskTel Centre.

In terms of the NLL coming to Winnipeg I stand behind my earlier claim that they will not have a place to play *unless* the AHL moves to a market that can sell more Moose tickets than Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Umm, there is another large, NHL hosting arena on the Prairies you missed that is bigger than SaskTel Centre.

In terms of the NLL coming to Winnipeg I stand behind my earlier claim that they will not have a place to play *unless* the AHL moves to a market that can sell more Moose tickets than Winnipeg.
Yeah, MTS Centre is much larger in square footage than SaskTel arena. Winnipeg and the MTS Centre also receive more concerts and live events than Saskatoon. All one has to do to confirm that is look up the Poll Star numbers released every year.

Great job with the Rush though. It looks like a fantastic atmosphere. I think Winnipeg's pro sports calendar is filled to capacity with the Jets, Moose, Bombers and Goldeyes.

If the Canadian Soccer League comes to fruition, I would rather see a pro soccer team here to be honest. Average ticket price of $20 - $25 with a break-even point of 4000 or so might be doable for the 'Peg in a few years.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
lol.. Not to be looking for errors in posts, but Garth Brooks has a few shows, lined up at MTS....

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/Garth-Bro...dp_Artist_Name
oh, my bad.. Garth must have booked MTS in this last month since he booked SaskTel Centre as his lone Western Canadian dates back in April..

Quote:
originally posted by CoryB

Calgary already has a NLL team and the only other arena that comes close to SaskTel Centre potential capacity of 16k seats is MTS Centre but its smaller at just over 15k and not able to add any significant amount of seats..

some highlights of Sask Rush Championship..

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Calgary already has a NLL team and the only other arena that comes close to SaskTel Centre potential capacity of 16k seats is MTS Centre but its smaller at just over 15k and not able to add any significant amount of seats..
Would they expand SaskTel Centre given that there's apparently a discussion underway about demolishing it and replacing it with a new building?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Would they expand SaskTel Centre given that there's apparently a discussion underway about demolishing it and replacing it with a new building?
Sure to be a hot topic of discussion.

Other than the fact that it is located outside of the city, the main knock on SaskTel Centre is the size of the concourse and limited concession and washroom space - Much like other arenas designed 35 years ago. The circulation area was probably adequate for a 12,000 seat arena, but puts crowds of 15,000 in there and eat up concourse space with private boxes and you're going to have problems. You also have to remember that the bones of the place are now 30+ years old and there is only so much lipstick that you can put on that pig.

That being said, if you were to hold a referendum on a new downtown-ish arena, fully funded by Saskatoon taxpayers, I doubt it would pass. I'd guess that the regular users of SaskTel Centre constitute the vocal minority. Not sure if the occasional user would be willing to foot their share of the bill for a new facility while this one can still secure Garth Brooks for 6 shows.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:28 AM

Quote:
I fully expect that Saskatoon will continue to use SaskTel Centre for the next decade or two and will probably do some basic renos to add more concessions, washrooms and complete the seating capacity and executive suites around the bowl. If the city does decide this year to build a new arena they will plan it over the next couple decades while securing downtown land first etc..

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:09 AM

Quote:
I fully expect that Saskatoon will continue to use SaskTel Centre for the next decade or two and will probably do some basic renos to add more concessions, washrooms and complete the seating capacity and executive suites around the bowl. If the city does decide this year to build a new arena they will plan it over the next couple decades while securing downtown land first etc..
This strikes me as the sensible thing to do... I know nobody loves the SaskTel Centre's location but the Rush are proof that if you give people something to get excited about, they'll come out to watch. The building itself looks fine relative to its function.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 5:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Sure to be a hot topic of discussion.

Other than the fact that it is located outside of the city, the main knock on SaskTel Centre is the size of the concourse and limited concession and washroom space - Much like other arenas designed 35 years ago. The circulation area was probably adequate for a 12,000 seat arena, but puts crowds of 15,000 in there and eat up concourse space with private boxes and you're going to have problems. You also have to remember that the bones of the place are now 30+ years old and there is only so much lipstick that you can put on that pig.

That being said, if you were to hold a referendum on a new downtown-ish arena, fully funded by Saskatoon taxpayers, I doubt it would pass. I'd guess that the regular users of SaskTel Centre constitute the vocal minority. Not sure if the occasional user would be willing to foot their share of the bill for a new facility while this one can still secure Garth Brooks for 6 shows.
I would be so bold as to say that I GUARANTEE it wouldn't pass.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:39 AM

So long as the conversation gets started now, I think a downtown arena can be done in 10 years.

Either that or massive renos to the Sasktel Centre. Lots of space out there to increase concourse size if they really wanted to go that route.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
I actually checked capacity online before posting and listed capacity of SaskTel Centre is a couple hundred under MTS Centre.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:34 PM

They added some seats to MTS Centre this year that made it larger than SaskPlace.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:56 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
They added some seats to MTS Centre this year that made it larger than SaskPlace.
278 Loge Seats were added prior to the 2015/16 season in the upper deck to bring the capacity to 15,294 (as per wiki).

I doubt there would be much reason for SaskPlace to increase seating. IMO They would be better to spend the money to improve the facility. 15,195 is MORE than sufficient for NLL, NHL (pre-season or otherwise), NBA exhibition, concerts, etc. etc.

If the return of the Jets in Winnipeg has proven anything, it's that limited capacity in an arena is a GOOD thing. Especially in a smaller market.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:34 PM

Quote:
This strikes me as the sensible thing to do... I know nobody loves the SaskTel Centre's location but the Rush are proof that if you give people something to get excited about, they'll come out to watch. The building itself looks fine relative to its function.
Ya, I think the people of Saskatoon are use to driving Circle Dr & then Idylwyld to the facility, & once the Parkway Bridge is done next year it will add an addition bridge route to get to the arena from the East side where most people in Saskatoon live.
Since SaskTel Centre will have had several sold out events beginning of this month alone and typically does sellout most of its big concerts plus all the Rush sellouts this year, I could see them trying to milk the arena for as much as its worth & Rush owner along with the City of Saskatoon pushing to get the rest of the arena to full original planned seating capacity of 16k soon.

http://sasktelcentre.com/seatingChart

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan