HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4261  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 5:30 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Did you visit Loblaws Maple Leaf Gardens?
I guess that's the problem with using anecdotal evidence to develop opinions, I never did end up in that part of Toronto. I didn't really go that far north in my limited time there.

Though if that is one of just a couple of large grocers in all of downtown that would still be no greater distance than Fort Garry Place to the Safeway on River.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4262  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 5:30 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,096
Next page;





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4263  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 5:47 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I guess that's the problem with using anecdotal evidence to develop opinions, I never did end up in that part of Toronto. I didn't really go that far north in my limited time there.

Though if that is one of just a couple of large grocers in all of downtown that would still be no greater distance than Fort Garry Place to the Safeway on River.
Except you can easily get there by subway there are also lots of grocery stores connected into the underground PATH which makes a huge difference in winter, rain or blistering hot days.

-----------------------------------

Cam stills:



__________________
WINNIPEG | Projects and Development
In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Oct 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4264  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:42 PM
BuildUpWpg BuildUpWpg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 302
Excitement at Winnipeg Square today (or maybe it was just me that got excited). The hoarding has been removed to reveal the new escalators, the new skylight area, and some of the main level of 330.





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4265  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:46 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,346
Oooooh, ahhhhhh. Those windows are pretty small as we noticed before.

I'm trying to orient myself. Seems the escalators go perpendicular to the mall corridor?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4266  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:43 PM
robertocarlos robertocarlos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 723
I was there on Sunday around 2 pm and it's much brighter inside when the sun is shining than it is in these photos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4267  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:46 PM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 481
Several grocers in Downtown T O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
a couple years ago when I visited Toronto, I didn't notice any big name grocers. There were more boutique grocers. There was definitely nothing along the lines of a big box grocer in the heart of downtown Toronto like people here seem to suggest is require for a thriving downtown.
I have no idea what you saw cause there are several..Let us begin with...Loblaws @ former Maple Gardens is enormous, in the very heart of their downtown....Not to mention 3 No frills, 3 downtown Metro stores, 3 Sobeys Urban Fresh... smaller fresh stores and hundreds of smaller grocers that have nice produce...decent bakery products..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4268  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:57 PM
robertocarlos robertocarlos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 723
No grocery store seems to be the right decision. Parking is the problem, it's not free. If you work downtown you just want to go home at the end of the day and do your shopping closer to home so the ice cream doesn't melt waiting for that guy in a wheelchair to cross Portage and Main.

The Family Foods on Donald makes money even with the theft problem. Most of the customers arrive on foot and those that came by car park in the loading zone and are gone in 10-20 minutes. Or there is a metered spot right out front.

If I wanted to live well downtown I'd move into TNS and never shop for food again. It's a much better option than 300 Main. You just need money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4269  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 12:09 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I have no idea what you saw cause there are several..Let us begin with...Loblaws @ former Maple Gardens is enormous, in the very heart of their downtown....Not to mention 3 No frills, 3 downtown Metro stores, 3 Sobeys Urban Fresh... smaller fresh stores and hundreds of smaller grocers that have nice produce...decent bakery products..
The Loblaws is a bit of an exception in terms of size (there is the other huge one at Harbourfront as well). It depends on how big you want to make "downtown" but most of the grocery stores are between small to about the size of an IGA or something.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4270  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:10 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The Loblaws is a bit of an exception in terms of size (there is the other huge one at Harbourfront as well). It depends on how big you want to make "downtown" but most of the grocery stores are between small to about the size of an IGA or something.
Yeah, what people forget is that urban living typically means making do without the suburban massive big box supermarkets. Sure Paris has a grocer on nearly every corner, but those grocers are typically between the size of a 7-Eleven and Giant Tiger's grocery section... you aren't getting a Real Canadian Superstore located downtown.

As has been pointed out many times on this forum, there is no shortage of places downtown to buy groceries (Family Foods, Giant Tiger, small independents), as well as places that are not technically downtown but are so close that they might as well be like the various Safeways and No Frills surrounding downtown. That isn't even getting into the increasingly popular delivery services. It just isn't a real issue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4271  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:36 PM
BuildUpWpg BuildUpWpg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Oooooh, ahhhhhh. Those windows are pretty small as we noticed before.

I'm trying to orient myself. Seems the escalators go perpendicular to the mall corridor?
Correct...I was surprised by the way they were oriented too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4272  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:02 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
It still sucks, how the anchor store in the new construction, is just some random gym... maybe in the future, some grocery retail would be nice?

Unless the Exchange has landed a grocery store, since i left Winnipeg two years ago?
I wouldn't call GoodLife random, they're probably Canada's most prominent gym. While unfortunately no grocer, that's a huge asset to a mixed use development by which I mean not just the apartments but the office tower, and all neighbouring towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Downtown grocers have been courted for all the recent major developments and none of them bit. Must be a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
If Selkirk, Winkler, Portage La Prairie and Steinbach can support a grocery store, i don't see why downtown Winnipeg could not.
Not to whine, but does nobody listen to me on this board???

For over a year, I've said: Grocery has fallen flat across the country. A very select few of brands have stayed strong (ie loblaw's and save-on) where others have close up a bunch of stores or rebranded existing. The strong brands are taking over existing, vacated locations, if any at all.

Nobody was coming to downtown Wpg when grocery was hot. Now it's cold, so that should paint the picture. Apparently they got real close though.

These other stores are only appropriate comparisons if 300/330 was launching atthe same time as them, which is definitely not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
No grocery store seems to be the right decision. Parking is the problem, it's not free. If you work downtown you just want to go home at the end of the day and do your shopping closer to home so the ice cream doesn't melt waiting for that guy in a wheelchair to cross Portage and Main.

The Family Foods on Donald makes money even with the theft problem. Most of the customers arrive on foot and those that came by car park in the loading zone and are gone in 10-20 minutes. Or there is a metered spot right out front.

If I wanted to live well downtown I'd move into TNS and never shop for food again. It's a much better option than 300 Main. You just need money.
I'm not sure I quite agree...

A strong chunk of the shoppers at any proposed 330 store already pay for parking. If I had to grocery shop after work, I'd rather go straight to 330 than into my car, another crowded suburban lot, back to my car, and then home. Store then home, bam, easy.

As for outside shoppers, it's not hard to get them to park for free for groceries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Correct...I was surprised by the way they were oriented too.
There was an original escalator base already there, so perpendicular was the only option, unless they wanted to waste money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4273  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:36 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,268
__________________
WINNIPEG | Projects and Development
In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4274  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:40 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,551
That's a lot of plain white drywall up there...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4275  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:43 PM
BigG's Avatar
BigG BigG is offline
Ignore these four words.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 964
It does seem much brighter in there now. Thanks for the photos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4276  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:02 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's a lot of plain white drywall up there...
A large hanging art piece would help.
__________________
WINNIPEG | Projects and Development
In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4277  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:31 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,017
Judging by the sprinklers I'd have to think that's not the finished product.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4278  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:48 PM
BuildUpWpg BuildUpWpg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Judging by the sprinklers I'd have to think that's not the finished product.
Looking at in person, I got the feeling it's the finished product. It's nice and bright, that's the most important thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4279  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:54 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,677
Looks like the big restaurant space just got its main structural steel put up, meaning the only thing left to do is to enclose the podium I believe. Can't wait for that space to be finished. Should look rather spectacular.
__________________
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
Federalist #10, James Madison
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4280  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:19 PM
BuildUpWpg BuildUpWpg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Judging by the sprinklers I'd have to think that's not the finished product.
Looking at in person, I got the feeling it's the finished product. It's nice and bright, that's the most important thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.