HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:56 PM
Heart of the Continent

I don't think there's any danger to the jets in the near future.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:19 PM

^ Chipman has made the point many times that TNSE has a pretty sophisticated approach to hedging so as to minimize the forex risk. Although that said, I think VANRIDERFAN makes a fair point... you can ride out a storm of 60-cent dollars for a couple of years that way, but if it becomes prolonged then it starts becoming an existential threat... not just to Winnipeg but possibly every Canadian team save Toronto.

The reason is that the market is currently firing on all cylinders in terms of TV revenue, ticket revenue, licensing... as a result, I'm not sure there's much more room to grow in Canada. It's not like you can double the ticket prices to make up for forex shortfalls. Winnipeggers are already paying $60-$200 a game for the Jets which is remarkable... I don't think there is much capacity to support prices that are a lot higher than that.

That said, the fact that the NHL never really caught on in a huge way in the 90s (it's still way behind NFL/MLB/NBA) does provide a bit of a buffer for Canadian teams. There is probably a more realistic sense these days about what US markets are prepared to put up... it's not like 1996 when everyone thought American sunbelt cities would gobble up all of the remaining Canadian NHL teams.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 9:56 PM

Which NHL team has the most fans in Regina, Saskatoon and elsewhere in the province? (Presumably it varies depending on where you are).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 10:01 PM

For Regina, I'd say the Edmonton Oilers are a popular pick. Probably part of that is due to hometown boy Jordan Eberle playing for the Oilers. However, even before that, it always seemed like Regina was more of an Oilers town than a Flames town.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
For Regina, I'd say the Edmonton Oilers are a popular pick. Probably part of that is due to hometown boy Jordan Eberle playing for the Oilers. However, even before that, it always seemed like Regina was more of an Oilers town than a Flames town.
I think that is correct. It is a holdover from the glory days of the 80's. there are still a lot of Habs fans in YQR though.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Which NHL team has the most fans in Regina, Saskatoon and elsewhere in the province? (Presumably it varies depending on where you are).
Canada's team - The Canadiens. Back to the pre cable days and hockey night in Canada (with Canada's real national anthem) every saturday night with Canadiens games on CBC.

close second is the Oilers though.

As far a least favourite teams in descending order...

Team USA
Czechs
Russia
Calgary.

(I actually like Russia - they are our best international rivals and they respect the game)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:57 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Canada's team - The Canadiens. Back to the pre cable days and hockey night in Canada (with Canada's real national anthem) every saturday night with Canadiens games on CBC.

close second is the Oilers though.

As far a least favourite teams in descending order...

Team USA
Czechs
Russia
Calgary.

(I actually like Russia - they are our best international rivals and they respect the game)
I would tend to agree on the Canadiens and the Oilers... though I'd add that the Penguins and Blackhawks have decent followings as well, though there is a segment of Leafs fans too.

All are of course secondary to the Riders, they've started to become a year-round entity in terms of news coverage. Definitely much less of an "off-season" than there used to be. Local news does a pretty good job at coverage of other local sports like the Rams, Pats, Cougars, and high school teams, too.

Now as for the original question... I'd say we have a decent amount of similarities with both, but do our own thing too... We're veering closer to Alberta mindsets lately due to resource wealth, but still have a lot of untouchable VERY non-Albertan institutions (the Crowns) + support for the NDP that Alberta has traditionally not had... Maybe one day the crowns will be sold... but so far, the big 4 (Saskpower, Sasktel, Saskenergy, and SGI) are pretty safe; we like to complain about them... but deep down, I think most realize that they are a huge financial positive (dividends to the government and stable jobs within the province) and are in general, provide much cheaper services than elsewhere.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:18 PM
Ignore these four words.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Are you the sign maker for Selinger?

I was, and I, myself, can't believe how much Selinger cut me a cheque for.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I was, and I, myself, can't believe how much Selinger cut me a cheque for.
I was just in Winnipeg and was thinking I should buy a sign company there. Of course all these Selinger signs will be replaced with Tory propaganda after the election. Also I could not help noticing that every public sign is bilingual. I do not know when that switch was made but it must have cost millions. It is telling that not a single private sign is bilingual. Apparently businesses don't think the public will have trouble reading them.

The French thing is one difference between MB vs SK and AB.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:46 PM

^ Where does this idea that French signage costs untold millions come from anyway? Having a few bilingual staff members and a few people in a translation office is a mere trifle in the context of a provincial budget.

Hearing those gripes reminds me of open line radio callers back in the 80s who'd rail against Trudeau because the mandatory French on the package supposedly doubled the cost of a box of Corn Flakes.

And for what it's worth, there are French business signs, but they are mainly restricted to parts of Winnipeg and outlying towns with a high Francophone presence.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Where does this idea that French signage costs untold millions come from anyway? Having a few bilingual staff members and a few people in a translation office is a mere trifle in the context of a provincial budget.

Hearing those gripes reminds me of open line radio callers back in the 80s who'd rail against Trudeau because the mandatory French on the package supposedly doubled the cost of a box of Corn Flakes.

And for what it's worth, there are French business signs, but they are mainly restricted to parts of Winnipeg and outlying towns with a high Francophone presence.
It is just quite jarring to see for us western prairie folk.
I am assuming that all the unilingual signs were switched out at some point. That is the cost I am talking about.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 4:18 PM

^ I don't think it was a massive, all out effort to change over signs so much as it was a pretty gradual replacement. Much like the changeover from FHWA to Clearview font on highway signs across much of Canada... it didn't happen overnight, they'd just swap out the ones with the old font to the new one whenever they had to replace it for one reason or another.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 4:28 PM
the first stamp is free

There really aren't that many bilingual signs anyway.

Certain areas of the city have them, and now most major highway signs have them.

But otherwise, we are a very English dominated place.

Manitoba did start life as a fully bilingual province.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post

The French thing is one difference between MB vs SK and AB.
This is true. Manitoba does have a strong French speaking community and was actually founded as a bilingual province, although it was not until the mid-80s the the government was forced by the Supreme Court to publish all provincial laws in both languages and provide services in French. Another interesting contrast between the three prairie provinces.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 5:01 PM

I enjoy how Winnipeg has fare info etc on buses in both official languages, while Montreal which is a more bilingual city has only French on buses. Sorry for veering off topic.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 5:48 PM

Saskatchewan often flip flops between being more Manitoba or Alberta like, just like with the time zones.

I think we are leaning more towards Alberta right now but are moving towards Manitoba.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 6:05 PM

Talking

I believe there are more Sasquatch sightings in the mountains of Alberta than in the flatlands of Manitoba, so perhaps Saskatchewan is leaning closer to Alberta, according to this guy??

http://regina.ctvnews.ca/fox-sports-...s-in-1.2772212

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 2:16 AM

Alberta "pulled away" in the postwar years after the discovery of oil in Leduc, but looking at the 1931 census Saskatchewan seemed closer to Alberta than Manitoba. Manitoba differed from both in that it was older and had a big city, Winnipeg.

Non-Charter groups:

Manitoba

Ukrainian 87,413 12.5%
German 66,160 9.4%
Polish 32,041 4.6%
Scandinavian 31,397 4.5% (Icelandic: 13,450)
Jewish 19,341 2.8%

Saskatchewan

German 169,011 18.3%
Ukrainian 74,591 8.1%
Scandinavian 72,684 7.9% (Norwegian: 39,755)

Alberta

German 89,256 12.2%
Ukrainian 62,638 8.6%
Scandinavian 59,461 8.1% (Norwegian: 27,360)

For the ethnicity figures, I used the cross-classifications to arrive at a better estimate. Many people with a German mother tongue reported "Dutch" and "Russian" origin (not wanting to identify as German post-WWI). Many Ukrainians reported Austrian or Polish origin.

Manitoba was more Ukrainian than German, and had larger Polish and Jewish populations (the latter virtually all in Winnipeg) than the other two. The Ukrainian and Scandinavian population shares were similar in AB and SK, and Scandinavians were mostly Icelandic in MB, and Norwegian in AB/SK.

Born in the British Isles

Manitoba 104,876 15%
Saskatchewan 99,739 10.8%
Alberta 106,781 14.6%

Born in continental Europe

Manitoba 110,458 15.8%
Saskatchewan 140,389 15.2%
Alberta 113,636 15.5%

Born in the United States

Manitoba 17,903 2.6%
Saskatchewan 73,008 7.9%
Alberta 78,959 10.8%

Employed in agriculture

Manitoba 34.5%
Saskatchewan 60.3%
Alberta 50.9%

Employed in manufacturing

Manitoba 7.6%
Saskatchewan 3.1%
Alberta 4.5%

Much larger American presence in AB/SK than MB. MB probably has highest British-born share due to Winnipeg as the British-born in Canada were more likely to be workers and less likely to be farmers.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 2:32 AM

Going further back to the 1911 census for birthplace:

Born in the British Isles

Manitoba 90,622 19.9%
Saskatchewan 76,854 15.6%
Alberta 65,839 17.6%

Born in Europe

Manitoba 78,051 17.1%
Saskatchewan 91,104 18.5%
Alberta 58,771 15.7%

Born in the United States

Manitoba 16,326 3.6%
Saskatchewan 69,628 14.1%
Alberta 81,357 21.7%

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 11:42 PM

^ interesting figures, especially the difference in numbers of US-born residents when comparing AB/SK with MB

I'm surprised how big the difference is in visible minority populations between SK & MB

Numbers aren't very up to date on either, especially SK, MB has 15X the Filipino population, that's pretty crazy!

MB

SK

(source: Wikipedia)

edit: 6.3% for SK in 2011 vs 13.1% in MB

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan