HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:30 AM

I made some massing models. These will NOT represent the visual at all, but should be semi-accurate in terms of impact on the skyline.

From University Bridge

From Broadway Bridge

Again, not at all representative of the look of the buildings, but should be fairly accurate to the impact on the skyline.

And it will completely change the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:34 AM

^ Really great work, jigglysquishy.

That is a striking change.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 4:07 AM
ARTchitecture

My crude attempt...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 7:13 AM

I have that picture as my background image on my desktop. Would love an updated version in a few years time.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:02 PM

Are those podiums above ground parking?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 3:46 PM

Yes...I believe first level retail/commercial and then above that parkade.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 2:09 AM

Would anyone like to draw these and add them to the diagrams listing?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:47 AM

When North Prairie first announced this project - they said it would be comparable to anything in Calgary or Vancouver - the early renderings strike me as being okay - I realize these are early renders and more detail is sure to follow. I am pleased that this project seems to be progressing and there is the 2nd building (office) or 3rd phase which almost certainly has been spurred on by BHP - which leads me to believe that they will be looking for more than just potash in the province.

Wondering with all the parking showing above grade does anybody know how many levels of underground parking there will be?

All things considered this is a wonderful project for the city and I particularly like the fact it is a local developer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 3:13 PM

"It looks like the first six stories of the building are going to be a structured parkade," said Alan Wallace, Director of Planning and Development for the City of Saskatoon. "They provided a facade so the structured parkade appears to be a part of the building."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ttee-1.2822786

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:25 AM

A few more details came out at the planning commission meeting today:

Commission approves rezoning, but raises issues over tower

BY EVAN RADFORD, THE STARPHOENIX NOVEMBER 4, 2014

Quote:
A three-phase skyscraper project that could radically change Saskatoon’s skyline received another vote of confidence, this time from the city’s municipal planning commission.

The commission voted Tuesday to approve a zoning agreement that designates the proposed site as a downtown commercial district.

The proposed project from North Prairie Developments Ltd. and AODBT Architecture, to be called City Centre Tower, includes two structures that would be the city’s tallest buildings: a 105-meter tower at 309 22nd Street East and an 87-meter tower at 319 22nd Street East.

The plan has yet to be approved by city council.

The planning commission heard both towers would have a few public parking stalls — 40 in the taller tower, and 15 in the shorter tower. The taller one (phase 2) would be used for commercial and residential purposes; the shorter one (phase 3) would be used for commercial and office purposes.

Committee members raised some concerns with North Prairie president John Williams and AODBT architect Louis Aussant, both of whom declined to speak with media.

Kathy Weber inquired about the cost and affordability of the condominiums to be built in the larger building.

Williams said they will be primarily mid-range in price, though he noted the plan includes “eight signature floors” at the top of the building, representing “larger products.” He did not give approximate costs of any of the proposed condo units.

[....]
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...456/story.html

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 2:35 PM
arf

I'm excited to see this happen. Hoping it moves forward.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm excited to see this happen. Hoping it moves forward.
Would definitely leave an impression and set the feel of a vibrant place in the heart of downtown. But as I was walking East on 22nd Ave this morning, looking at the location where this is proposed for, I just got the sense that a highrise condo tower just doesn't quite fit in. The design of the towers are fine to me, esthetically, and I know there are many residential units in old building all around there, but in big cities you don't see condos in the heart of the commercial district.

I personally can easily see condos like at the site of Parcel Y in River Landing, or even a few blocks north closer to 25th St, just not smack dab amongst office buildings.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:51 PM
ARTchitecture

I don't agree. In lots of cities you see residential/mixed use buildings in the middle of the commercial district. Look at The Austonian in Austin, Trump in Toronto, Shangri La in Vancouver, Telus Sky in Calgary, L'Avenue in Montreal, and many others examples. For instance, the Austonian is by far the tallest building in Austin, and is 100% residential right in the heart of the CBD.

http://wallytingley.com/

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don't agree. In lots of cities you see residential/mixed use buildings in the middle of the commercial district. Look at The Austonian in Austin, Trump in Toronto, Shangri La in Vancouver, Telus Sky in Calgary, L'Avenue in Montreal, and many others examples. For instance, the Austonian is by far the tallest building in Austin, and is 100% residential right in the heart of the CBD.
In Vancouver, Downtown (between W. Georgia - Hastings and Bute-Cambie >~40 city blocks) is almost exclusively commercial with many condos around the periphery, Shangri-la is on the edge of the West End.

Toronto has its Financial District (from Front-Dundas and Church-University >~45 city blocks) which is almost exclusively office towers and hotels - and Trump tower is mostly hotel from what I can tell.

Calgary commercial district (North of 9 Ave and between 1st St-7th St >~45 city blocks) again is almost exclusively office and hotel with sparse residential mixed in until you get around the periphery where Telus Sky tower is being built.

Montreal Downtown (between Notre-Dame and Sherbrooke, Bleury and de la Montagne >~65 blocks) hardly any residential until you get to the periphery where L'Avenue is going up.

So while mixed use towers are being built centrally, not many are primarily residential and the ones that are usually are closer in proximity to other high density residential areas. I'm not saying bucking the trend, like the awesome example in Austin TX, isn't a good idea - it is just not that common for residential towers to be islands in a sea of offices.

While I can't speak for everyone, If I were to be in the market for downtown living I'd prefer to be a couple blocks to the NW (closer to meewasin valley and Kinsmen park) or many block to the SW (closer to the farmers market and river landing).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 4:04 PM

I personally would want to be close to 2nd Ave where the majority of restaurants and pubs are. That is the kind of urban living I would be hoping for....and of course, that ever unattainable grocery store downtown!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 4:58 PM

To also forget here. Where you build a residential tower... there is a good chance restaurants and pubs will spring up at the base, which was already eluded to by NPD. Making this another draw spot enhancing the area for all.

For commercial and residential to mix is whatever. It wouldn't bother me in the least and for the most part the two activities are separated anyway by time. Work 8-5 Home 5-12 Sleep 12-7 Get Ready for / commute to work 7-8

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:26 PM

Look at something like Midtown Manhattan or Toronto. People WANT to be near the big city items. People want to be walking distance to 2nd Ave, Midtown, and River Landing.

I understand the need for residential north of 25th, but on 22nd and 3rd you'll be a five minute walk from most of the downtown amenities.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 6:38 PM
ARTchitecture

Exactly. Being an extremely short walk from the high activity areas isn't a big deal.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Look at something like Midtown Manhattan or Toronto. People WANT to be near the big city items. People want to be walking distance to 2nd Ave, Midtown, and River Landing.

I understand the need for residential north of 25th, but on 22nd and 3rd you'll be a five minute walk from most of the downtown amenities.
I get what you are all saying, my perspective though is that financial districts (which is mainly what 4th and 23rd area is for a couple blocks around) are very low density residential locations. A mixed use building helps with infill, my concern is simply that at this particular location, too large a residential portion would be a lot more desirable in very close proximity to the amenities. And while I may only be talking about 2-3 blocks here, during cold winter evenings that extra 5 minutes of frigid wind will be a deciding factor (even though it is likely no further than the typical closest parking spot). I think that is why it was zoned as it was.

However I'm also all for letting the market decide, would certainly enjoy watching this get built and seeing the addition to the skyline (and I will also admit that I'm being nitpicky about this detail, it is after all only one block to the nearest starbucks, lol).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:10 AM

One block to 2nd Ave, one block to the river - the location's great. With any luck, this will be the first of a series of new residential towers in the area (SW corners of 3rd Ave and 22nd and 23rd Streets would be ideal). I suspect that a small grocery store in the base of this would be too much to hope for at present, but, if the area picks up momentum and adds a few hundred more residents in addition to this, who knows? Striking a balance between financial district (lol!) and residential area is important, but the downtown is so underdeveloped and underpopulated at present. The potential for this to be the start of a healthy, liveable downtown is what makes this project great. I'm not entirely sold on the renders, but it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Roquentin; Nov 8, 2014 at 5:11 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan