HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:37 PM

Really, what is the point of having a list of approved street names if developers are allowed to name their own streets? Green Water Drive, Green Creek Road, Green Water Road, Green Marsh Cres.... That is all one big green mess in the SE.

The city planted 4 trees over the weekend in Victoria Park to replace 7 that had died of natural causes. Funding from the Canada 150 fund. Anyone know why they opted for more elms when those are known to be susceptible to Dutch Elm? It's not like all the trees that had died were elms.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Really, what is the point of having a list of approved street names if developers are allowed to name their own streets? Green Water Drive, Green Creek Road, Green Water Road, Green Marsh Cres.... That is all one big green mess in the SE.

The city planted 4 trees over the weekend in Victoria Park to replace 7 that had died of natural causes. Funding from the Canada 150 fund. Anyone know why they opted for more elms when those are known to be susceptible to Dutch Elm? It's not like all the trees that had died were elms.
The City still plants elms but tries to be much more bio-diverse. Also I believe new varieties have more resistance to DED.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post

Just my five cents here, but I want to mention that there has been a Marsh Crescent in Whitmore Park for 58 years (I grew up on that street). Now we also have a Green Marsh Crescent too. At least the street numbers are different, but nonetheless it is stupid, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Just my five cents here, but I want to mention that there has been a Marsh Crescent in Whitmore Park for 58 years (I grew up on that street). Now we also have a Green Marsh Crescent too. At least the street numbers are different, but nonetheless it is stupid, IMO.
At least the Marsh Cres in Whitmore Park makes sense, given that WP was a marsh

You're never going to completely avoid confusion - even with street names that are reasonably different (I used to live on Sommerfeld Drive in the SE, we routinely got mail delivered for Somerville Road in the south end). There should at least be an effort make to avoid similar street names in the same area.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 5:11 PM

A bad one that should have never been allowed: Anson Road. There was already an Anson Street in Lakeview, and road/street is so close that it's easy to mess up. Anson Boulevard or Circle is different enough that it could stand out, but they chose "Road".

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:08 PM

In Fairways west, there is the intersection of Gordon Staseson Blvd and Gordon Staseson Blvd. The first runs east/west, starts as 1st Ave N, then Gordon Staseson Blvd, then Links way. The north/south road is Gordon Staseson Blvd, Doiron Road, Discovery Road curving and changing to Venture Road.

Dorothy Street is backwards for addresses. The numbers increase from 1 block at dewdney (which is 14 block for everywhere else in the city) to the north. Except for the 5 and 6 block dorothy, which run backwards within their blocks.

The city is so inconsistent in street naming and addressing, there are always issues.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:19 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Why?
I find it to be confusing personally, not to mention it is ungodly redundant. As for the argument that it makes sense to use the name of a subdivision for a street within that same subdivision, in all honesty, I disagree with that notion wholeheartedly, even if it is a main street within the neighbourhood.

Last edited by blacktrojan3921; Oct 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 6:08 PM

Ecole Connaught School

The new Ecole Connaught School celebrated its grand reopening on Friday in "Heritage Hall." REGINA LEADER-POST

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...a-long-history

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 1:36 PM

. With Sears now gone what happens to this amazing warehouse at 1050 broad street

Last edited by thefourthtower; Oct 22, 2017 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...1gwVHIVrylL3Ge. With Sears now gone what happens to this amazing warehouse at 1050 broad street
Don't post Korvemaker's agitprop.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Don't post Korvemaker's agitprop.
Explain

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 9:52 PM

As much as I love preserving old buildings, warehouse condos, reuse, downtown living, etc, 500,000 sq ft would be what, 200+ luxury condos? The warehouse condos currently on the market are slow moving. I wish this sort of redevelopment would be feasible here, but this aint Torannah.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
. With Sears now gone what happens to this amazing warehouse at 1050 broad street
That was sold a few years ago and the new owners wanted to demolish it. Sears hasn't been there for a while.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...down-1.3303834

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 4:14 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I think it would make more sense to retrofit it to either turn it into a modern office complex or have it be used for warehouse lots.

Tearing it down is a huge fucking waste.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I think it would make more sense to retrofit it to either turn it into a modern office complex or have it be used for warehouse lots.

Tearing it down is a huge fucking waste.
Well then I guess you put up the $60M+ it would require.

As it stands now the building does not work for residential, unless each unit is a bowling alley.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Well then I guess you put up the $60M+ it would require.

As it stands now the building does not work for residential, unless each unit is a bowling alley.
So is this your personal opinion or do you have access to some factual data for the 60M+ number that you would like to share?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinglink View Post
So is this your personal opinion or do you have access to some factual data for the 60M+ number that you would like to share?
Basic construction costs for renovations are between $60-$100 psf. Residential is on high end and a lot more expensive, at least $120 psf.

500,000 x 120 = $60M. It's probably $80M+

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:33 AM

Exactly. It would cost a fortune.

500,000 sq ft of dingy old warehouse space is just an absurd amount of space to redevelop given the amount of space already available on the market for retail, office and residential.

I wish it wasnt so, but that is the reality.

Look at recent redevelopment projects. Old superstore (mostly govt tennants), old galleria (federal govt is the tennant), and old bay (mostly govt tennants).

Last edited by aberrant; Oct 24, 2017 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
Exactly. It would cost a fortune.

500,000 sq ft of dingy old warehouse space is just an absurd amount of space to redevelop given the amount of space already available on the market for retail, office and residential.

I wish it wasnt so, but that is the reality.

Look at recent redevelopment projects. Old superstore (mostly govt tennants) and old galleria (federal govt is the tennant), old bay (mostly govt tennants).
Yep.

The only luck the warehouse would have is if government wanted it. And with the only real people looking for newer space is SaskPower and the Police. But then what would you do with those spaces.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:41 PM

Any word on the Conexus Wascana Park design?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan