HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 12:30 AM
thebasketballgeek thebasketballgeek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
No, each seal has been provided with a taser.
Hopefully they know how to use a taser
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 2:45 PM
2lunds 2lunds is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16
Interestingly - the seals are both blind.

Last edited by 2lunds; Jul 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 4:38 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
^ Fascinating, was not aware of this..

Some of the Wild Life present at the Exhibit.
(less the Snowy owls, Arctic fox and Caribou)




Seals Chillin.



Wolves in the distance, I particularly like this one..


MuskOxen Grazing


Moose


http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/07/0...boine-park-zoo
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 6:56 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 3,806
Interesting take on the new zoo exhibit.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...266850041.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 7:59 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Interesting take on the new zoo exhibit.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...266850041.html
It's always good to get multiple perspectives about any one given topic.

Quote:
The zoo maintains their three wild-born bears would have starved or been shot had they not taken them in. Sad though it may sound, I suggest the humane euthanasia of orphaned cubs, or bears that have attacked people, is the best of a limited number of unpleasant options. A shortened life in the wild, ended quickly and painlessly, is far preferable to one in which an animal's normal behaviour, such as hunting, foraging and roaming, become distant memories.
I'm going to have to personally disagree with:
Jonas Watson:companion animal veterinarian , the writer of his "Opinion piece", especially when it comes to Polar Bears, their loss of habitat and encroachment on populated areas and their dwindling numbers in the wild.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 11:03 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
especially when it comes to Polar Bears, their loss of habitat and encroachment on populated areas and their dwindling numbers in the wild.
Yeah, all those massive populated areas in the Arctic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 12:31 AM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Yeah, all those (removed massive) populated areas in the Arctic.
I fixed your addition to my post .Don't add s___ dude.

Polar Bears encroaching on populated areas in the Artic due to lack of natural food sources and their need to move closer to populated areas hence the need to Kill them when they become comfortable being in close proximity to humans.

Come up with a better response next go at it.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 12:53 AM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 3:36 AM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Come up with a better response next go at it.
Yep, urban development is at an all time high in the arctic. All of the polar bear habitat has disappeared forcing all the bears to a single iceberg.

Any idea how big the arctic is? Maybe post some more crap articles. Polar bear number numbers are growing:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4099460/

Last edited by Riverman; Jul 14, 2014 at 3:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 3:52 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Yep, urban development is at an all time high in the arctic. All of the polar bear habitat has disappeared forcing all the bears to a single iceberg.
When my parents lived at Churchill over 50 years ago, in the days of the rocket range, it had at least two or three times the resident population that it has today. The polar bears are probably wondering where everyone went.

If we want to borrow some for our zoos, they should just be glad for the free food and fun times.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 3:16 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Yep, urban development is at an all time high in the arctic. All of the polar bear habitat has disappeared forcing all the bears to a single iceberg.

Any idea how big the arctic is? Maybe post some more crap articles. Polar bear number numbers are growing:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4099460/
Why do you keep blathering on about urban development and massive population densities in the Arctic for? It has nothing to do with the discussion?
Loss of sea ice, and an extended shipping season in the arctic are proof enough of a problem occurring to the bears natural feeding/hunting activities..

Your Globe and Mail article from 2012 also clearly illustrates there are those that believe the numbers are not accurate so the debate continues. The Nunavit Government wanted the Government study and survey? Of course they did. It's all about their hunting quota, and how many bears they can kill yearly, very lucrative and essential to their way of life.The higher the numbers the more that can be hunted.

This discussion was about bears wandering into communities and then having to be killed and instead of this some can be spared rather than shot?.
Re-read those crap articles, you may actually learn something about the species.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 3:22 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,551
We are a weird species. On one hand we have an entire industry dedicated to the slaughter, processing and consumption of mammals and on the other hand we wring our hands over whether the polar bear in a vast enclosure is sufficiently stimulated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 3:29 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
We are strange indeed at times.
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:59 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
We are a weird species. On one hand we have an entire industry dedicated to the slaughter, processing and consumption of mammals and on the other hand we wring our hands over whether the polar bear in a vast enclosure is sufficiently stimulated.
I wouldn't pin a couple myopic individuals as the standard for our species.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:09 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is offline
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario's feel good town
Posts: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I wouldn't pin a couple myopic individuals as the standard for our species.
My eyesight is just fine thank you. I ignore political analysis and embrace the scientific. We all would be wise to do the same.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:53 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Nice addition to the Zoo. Very well suited to it's history in Manitoba.
It also sounds like a lot of fun for Visitors and thier families year round.


New zoo centre celebrates history of heavy horses

Visitors to the Assiniboine Park Zoo will get to enjoy horse-drawn wagon and sleigh rides when the McFeetors Heavy Horse Centre opens next summer.

The new centre will be named after Ray McFeetors, former CEO and chairman of Great-West Lifeco, who made a personal donation of $2 million to the Assiniboine Park Conservancy’s Imagine a Place campaign.

The centre will be located in a 4.7-acre area at the north end of the zoo. It will include a barn, pastures, paddocks, a carriage shed, and walking paths. The experience will include barn tours and zoo keeper-led interactions with the horses. Visitors will also have the opportunity to enjoy wagon rides within the exhibit in summer and sleigh rides into the park in winter.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-3
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 AM
njaohnt njaohnt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Why do you keep blathering on about urban development and massive population densities in the Arctic for? It has nothing to do with the discussion?
Loss of sea ice, and an extended shipping season in the arctic are proof enough of a problem occurring to the bears natural feeding/hunting activities..

Your Globe and Mail article from 2012 also clearly illustrates there are those that believe the numbers are not accurate so the debate continues. The Nunavit Government wanted the Government study and survey? Of course they did. It's all about their hunting quota, and how many bears they can kill yearly, very lucrative and essential to their way of life.The higher the numbers the more that can be hunted.

This discussion was about bears wandering into communities and then having to be killed and instead of this some can be spared rather than shot?.
Re-read those crap articles, you may actually learn something about the species.
There is no evidence of global warming. The little bit of warming we see is from sunspots.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:21 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
There is no evidence of global warming. The little bit of warming we see is from sunspots.

I find sunspots and solar flares a fascinating phenomenon and the debate over global warming, it exists/doesn't and why interesting.

Here's a forum that might go into more detail on the subject.
ex:Random page from Scienceforums. net

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/7...-4#entry757237

http://www.scienceforums.net/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 1:20 AM
njaohnt njaohnt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 118
?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 2:44 PM
windypeg windypeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
There is no evidence of global warming. The little bit of warming we see is from sunspots.
There IS substantial evidence that sea ice cover in the arctic is declining fairly quickly, and regardless of the cause that means tough times for polar bears who can only really hunt on ice. Hunting season is shorter each year and they must swim farther to the mainland each year.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news.../22sep_seaice/

http://amper.ped.muni.cz/jenik/dirs/...ea_ice2007.pdf

http://www.geobotany.org/library/pub..._35_L01703.pdf

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/cl...et_al_2008.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/sci...e/sea-ice.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.