HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:40 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I see great potential to split the right of centre vote.
Not in this case.

There are many who vote NDP because there really is no other option and nothing new being brought to the table.

The Manitoba Party will distance themselves from "right-wing" or "conservative" ideals and focus more on issues that impact Manitoba and the bottom line of budgets for the province as well as individuals.

If they are smart they will focus on the following:

- Making Manitoba more competitive on a business side
- Changes to encourage more oil and mining development in Manitoba
- Lowering provincial income taxes (or raising the brackets) to something closer to Sask
- Addressing the provincial portion of property tax bills
- Removing the MPI monopoly on auto insurance
- Removing PST on used cars
- Privatizing liquor sales and opening the market to more small breweries and wineries
- Forcing Manitoba Hydro to be more fiscally responsible and addressing how to handle crown profits.
- Elimination of Sunday shopping laws
- Elimination of the Peak Of The Market monopoly (will go over well for the farmers market crowd)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:56 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Not in this case.

There are many who vote NDP because there really is no other option and nothing new being brought to the table.

The Manitoba Party will distance themselves from "right-wing" or "conservative" ideals and focus more on issues that impact Manitoba and the bottom line of budgets for the province as well as individuals.

If they are smart they will focus on the following:

- Making Manitoba more competitive on a business side
- Changes to encourage more oil and mining development in Manitoba
- Lowering provincial income taxes (or raising the brackets) to something closer to Sask
- Addressing the provincial portion of property tax bills
- Removing the MPI monopoly on auto insurance
- Removing PST on used cars
- Privatizing liquor sales and opening the market to more small breweries and wineries
- Forcing Manitoba Hydro to be more fiscally responsible and addressing how to handle crown profits.
- Elimination of Sunday shopping laws
- Elimination of the Peak Of The Market monopoly (will go over well for the farmers market crowd)
Yikes, I can see this thread getting pretty busy this week...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:43 PM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Not in this case.

There are many who vote NDP because there really is no other option and nothing new being brought to the table.

The Manitoba Party will distance themselves from "right-wing" or "conservative" ideals and focus more on issues that impact Manitoba and the bottom line of budgets for the province as well as individuals.

If they are smart they will focus on the following:

- Making Manitoba more competitive on a business side
- Changes to encourage more oil and mining development in Manitoba
- Lowering provincial income taxes (or raising the brackets) to something closer to Sask
- Addressing the provincial portion of property tax bills
- Removing the MPI monopoly on auto insurance
- Removing PST on used cars
- Privatizing liquor sales and opening the market to more small breweries and wineries
- Forcing Manitoba Hydro to be more fiscally responsible and addressing how to handle crown profits.
- Elimination of Sunday shopping laws
- Elimination of the Peak Of The Market monopoly (will go over well for the farmers market crowd)
How would your proposed platform not split the right-vote? If this party is created, but isn't "all in" (i.e. can't run candidates province wide, doesn't see many defections from the PC's, etc), it's going to guarantee an NDP majority in 2015. All they'd need to do is win a few Tory ridings. While I tend to support the provincial NDP, even I don't want to see an opposition in total dissaray.

The only hope this party has is if it completely replaces the PC party - otherwise, they're just a different version of the provincial liberals...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:44 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
How would your proposed platform not split the right-vote? If this party is created, but isn't "all in" (i.e. can't run candidates province wide, doesn't see many defections from the PC's, etc), it's going to guarantee an NDP majority in 2015. All they'd need to do is win a few Tory ridings. While I tend to support the provincial NDP, even I don't want to see an opposition in total dissaray.

The only hope this party has is if it completely replaces the PC party - otherwise, they're just a different version of the provincial liberals...
What you are failing to realize is that the provincial NDP isn't that far left. They are far more centrist and only really win elections because the PCs can't seem to find a leader with and charisma or a platform that engages the people.

If anything I can see the Manitoba Party running right up the middle of the pack taking votes from both sides. I know a lot of people who begrudgingly vote for the NDP or PCs only because they can't stand the other respective party.

Take the last election? What new ideas did the PCs have? Exactly. None.

All they talked about was "its time for a change" and "the NDP has done nothing". No new platform ideas (at least worth caring about) and just hoping to win because they would be "new".

That said, it wasn't like the NDP won on some left wing platform either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:24 PM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
What you are failing to realize is that the provincial NDP isn't that far left. They are far more centrist and only really win elections because the PCs can't seem to find a leader with and charisma or a platform that engages the people.

If anything I can see the Manitoba Party running right up the middle of the pack taking votes from both sides. I know a lot of people who begrudgingly vote for the NDP or PCs only because they can't stand the other respective party.

Take the last election? What new ideas did the PCs have? Exactly. None.

All they talked about was "its time for a change" and "the NDP has done nothing". No new platform ideas (at least worth caring about) and just hoping to win because they would be "new".

That said, it wasn't like the NDP won on some left wing platform either.
I'm not the one who fails to realize that the provincial NDP isn't far left - it's not me you see on these boards calling them socialists. My point was that based on the policies you mentioned (and the fact that there is talk about a new centre-right party at all) is that they are obviously trying to appeal to disillusioned tories. Obviously they will take more votes from the PC's than the NDP. But, let's just say that somehow, they actually appealled equally to PC and NDP voters, siphoning off the exact same amount of voters from each party - the NDP would still win in a landslide!

Either way, if this is going to happen, now's the time. The PC leadership race is in total disarray, with few qualified candidates stepping forward (you know you're in trouble when Paula Havixbeck is considered a top 3 contender). Pizza boy dropped out the other day, so I guess it's between Goertzen and Pallister, unless someone steps up (hopefully they can recruit someone like Dave Angus). We don't have even close to the same circumstances here that led to the Sask Party, so I doubt this is going to happen. Instead, why don't the PC's just run on the platform you suggested Hotwired?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:25 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Not in this case.

There are many who vote NDP because there really is no other option and nothing new being brought to the table.

The Manitoba Party will distance themselves from "right-wing" or "conservative" ideals and focus more on issues that impact Manitoba and the bottom line of budgets for the province as well as individuals.

If they are smart they will focus on the following:

- Making Manitoba more competitive on a business side
- Changes to encourage more oil and mining development in Manitoba
- Lowering provincial income taxes (or raising the brackets) to something closer to Sask
- Addressing the provincial portion of property tax bills
- Removing the MPI monopoly on auto insurance
- Removing PST on used cars
- Privatizing liquor sales and opening the market to more small breweries and wineries
- Forcing Manitoba Hydro to be more fiscally responsible and addressing how to handle crown profits.
- Elimination of Sunday shopping laws
- Elimination of the Peak Of The Market monopoly (will go over well for the farmers market crowd)
Sounds good to me. With the proposal of addressing the provincial portion of property tax bills are referring to removing the school division tax on the property tax bill?
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:37 AM
North of 49's Avatar
North of 49 North of 49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Swaggerville
Posts: 267
I think it's funny that people don't really understand the definition of socialism and capitalism and what it means to be a conservative. What does that all mean?

We put labels on groups and call them conservative. We label society as capitalist or socialist. Actually in it's current forms it does not really equate to the definitions.

We in North america have never ever been a capitalist society in it's purest form. We pay taxes and when we pay, it's suppose to benefit the majority of society. (even if it doesn't) Canada is a Parliamentary Socialistic Democracy.

Unfortunately in it present form our political system (some) is controlled and covertly influenced by corporations that are self serving.

Money buys influence = Power

So from what we have been told and what really is we're no more free than those poor pheasants during the feudal systems of the past.

I believe the type of society history will say about 21st Century Canada or the western world is that it's oligarchy.

Power is truly with the few with deep pockets.
__________________
"And any man, who knows a thing, knows
he knows not a damn, damn thing at all..."
K'naan Take a minute
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:40 AM
Winnipegger Winnipegger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
I think it's funny that people don't really understand the definition of socialism and capitalism and what it means to be a conservative. What does that all mean?

We put labels on groups and call them conservative. We label society as capitalist or socialist. Actually in it's current forms it does not really equate to the definitions.

We in North america have never ever been a capitalist society in it's purest form. We pay taxes and when we pay, it's suppose to benefit the majority of society. (even if it doesn't) Canada is a Parliamentary Socialistic Democracy.

Unfortunately in it present form our political system (some) is controlled and covertly influenced by corporations that are self serving.

Money buys influence = Power

So from what we have been told and what really is we're no more free than those poor pheasants during the feudal systems of the past.

I believe the type of society history will say about 21st Century Canada or the western world is that it's oligarchy.

Power is truly with the few with deep pockets.
I'm sorry but many of your statements simply do not make sense. First of all, capitalism is a vague term and it does indeed describe many of the world's economic systems, INCLUDING Canada's. Canada is not a "socialistic" democracy. We are a capitalistic country with a large welfare safety net. Welfare is "socialistic", but it doesn't mean we're not capitalistic. Capitalism means a system of private ownership of production. You cannot tell me that that does not exist here in Canada. Communism and pure socialism is not capitalism because either the state or the collective own the means of production (capital), but this is not the case in Canada.

As for being "no no more free than those poor pheasants during the feudal systems of the past", I have to disagree. Do you even know the upward social mobility that is in your hands right now just because you are a Canadian citizen? You cannot even begin to compare yourself to a 13th century peasant in western Europe tied to his lord's manor. In Canada you have the freedom to switch jobs if you have the qualifications. If you don't have the qualifications, you can go to school. Don't have money for school? Take out a governmental loan which usually include high levels of subsidies (government grants, interest free periods, University grants, etc) and get that qualifications.

Not to mention that you are free to move around this country and find a different place to live, chose your job, utilize the public health care system, unemployment, etc. Oh and don't even get me started on the wide range of consumer goods that are available to you, non durable and durable. Cheap cars, expensive cars, cheap clothes, expensive clothes, fresh fruit in Winnipeg when it's -40 from the other side of the world, fresh bread every time you walk into the store, fast food that will make you unhealthy or healthy food that will make you gag, delicacies from other cultures, imported tools, oil, chemicals, plastics, you name it! So don't you dare tell me that we are "no more free" than peasants when we have live in an era and country when you have more upward social mobility, luxuries, social safety nets, and comforts than at any other time in history.

The middle class lives better than kings did hundreds of years ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 12:28 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,121
The term most widely accepted by people who study such things is "mixed-market liberal democracy". Both Canada and the United States are "mixed-market liberal democracies".

In this term, the word "liberal" means "ample freedom", not "left wing ideology".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:43 AM
North of 49's Avatar
North of 49 North of 49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Swaggerville
Posts: 267
Winnipegger

Your right. My emotional rant on people's need affiliate with a certain political ideologies without really understanding what they are.

Appreciate the correction.
__________________
"And any man, who knows a thing, knows
he knows not a damn, damn thing at all..."
K'naan Take a minute
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:48 AM
North of 49's Avatar
North of 49 North of 49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Swaggerville
Posts: 267
...but I think Canada is still a social democracy govern under a parliamentary system. You just said a generous welfare system.
__________________
"And any man, who knows a thing, knows
he knows not a damn, damn thing at all..."
K'naan Take a minute
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:29 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,121
Our political system is a representative parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarchy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:29 PM
Cam Cam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wpg
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
So from what we have been told and what really is we're no more free than those poor pheasants during the feudal systems of the past.
Lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:02 AM
North of 49's Avatar
North of 49 North of 49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Swaggerville
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Lol
It's funny that you see the humor in that statement. Cause I imagine people toiling around a patch of grass waiting for a blacksmith to finish making some sword for some regal lord.

Hey if it weren't for technology we wouldn't be too far from that.
__________________
"And any man, who knows a thing, knows
he knows not a damn, damn thing at all..."
K'naan Take a minute
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 5:49 AM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
It's funny that you see the humor in that statement. Cause I imagine people toiling around a patch of grass waiting for a blacksmith to finish making some sword for some regal lord.

Hey if it weren't for technology we wouldn't be too far from that.
He's laughing because a pheasant is a bird.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:09 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
WikiLeaks reveals Hydro's troubles

Diplomatic cables uncovered by WikiLeaks depict a "decades-old logjam" that has hampered Manitoba's efforts to market its untapped hydro potential. Three confidential documents, sent from the American Embassy in Ottawa to officials back in Washington between 2003 and 2008, add to the rising doubt about Manitoba Hydro's plan to spend $18 billion in the next decade on new export-dependent projects.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...148365225.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:59 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,459
http://tgcts.com/city-circus

new municipal/provincial politics show on Shaw hosted by Marty Gold... watch at your own risk
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted May 19, 2012, 5:50 AM
Reed Solomon's Avatar
Reed Solomon Reed Solomon is offline
Celebrating 50 Years
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WIN A PIG, MAN A TUBA
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
http://tgcts.com/city-circus

new municipal/provincial politics show on Shaw hosted by Marty Gold... watch at your own risk
Transparancy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:55 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
Sam is such a child.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...153975565.html

Quote:
Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz is questioning the sanity of proposed new rules for public-private partnerships...

Katz, however, said the proposed legislation may simply kill P3s and claimed the move caught the city by surprise....

"There was no dialogue. This just came out of nowhere. We heard about it the same time the media did," the mayor said Thursday in an interview. "They have nothing coming forward to help us with our infrastructure deficit. So while our infrastructure is rotting and decaying, the only work we've been getting done is through P3s."

"Why they would want to stop those kinds of projects in the future, you'd have to question one's sanity, in my opinion," Katz said.

Fielding called the proposed legislation "ridiculous" because the Selinger government has rejected city requests for access to new forms of growth revenue to pay for infrastructure, such vehicle-registration fees, gas taxes and a share of PST.
"Not only are they saying no to all these revenue ideas, but they're taking our tools away to finance infrastructure projects. It's more than frustration, it's ideologically driven," Fielding said.

Katz also said the province is playing games when it demands more transparency from the city, claiming the NDP government failed to consult the public on infrastructure-stimulus projects such as the MTS Iceplex.
"It's a great project, but if you want to talk openness and transparency, come on," the mayor said. "It's the epitome of hypocrisy."
He's upset because he can no longer partake in behind the door deals with his friends. Also why is it that only Katz's puppets are talked to in the media? Where are the opinions of our other, less childlike, councillors.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:07 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
He's upset because he can no longer partake in behind the door deals with his friends. Also why is it that only Katz's puppets are talked to in the media? Where are the opinions of our other, less childlike, councillors.


P3 infrastructure projects seem to be the only projects in this province that are done on time, to spec and on budget.

Do you have any information of your "behind the door deals with his friends" claims or are you just spouting garbage because you don't like Katz.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.