HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 6:51 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,142
Nikki Ashton kind of looks like Tony Clement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 8:28 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Nikki Ashton kind of looks like Tony Clement.
shes federal
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 10:13 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,142
So is he... ?

Oh I know what you're saying now. Yeah, I just posted it here because there was no where else to put it but I had to say it somewhere. The similarity creeped me out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 2:55 AM
J-MAN's Avatar
J-MAN J-MAN is offline
high expectations
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North of Winnipeg
Posts: 556
Quote:
I disagree with the spending of public money on a Christmas Party, but to do it in a restaurant you own, that is just plain ballsy.
I still don't see anything wrong with any of this.
__________________
I am not ashamed to say I have Aspergers, Schizophrenia, and Anxiety.
___________
My Saint Andrews (in winter) Photo thread (Jan 2012).

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 4:58 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
I still don't see anything wrong with any of this.
Sam Katz did it. Therefore, it's wrong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:11 AM
Only The Lonely..'s Avatar
Only The Lonely.. Only The Lonely.. is offline
Portage & Main 50 below
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,746
The Katz Xmas party is sooo not worth losing sleep over.

There are a good number of very real problems that we should be talking about instead, like the lack of private capital available for investment in this city since Crocus left, the zero level of vision on a long term transit strategy for this city, runaway crime, etc. etc.
__________________
WINNIPEG: Home of Canada's first skyscraper!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:15 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
Does anyone know of anyone who would make a competent mayor? Everyone talks about how amazing they would be in office, but I am surprised at the lack of quality people that run for office. The fact that a majority of the voters went with "Well I have to vote Katz or Judy will become mayor" is a sad statement. As all of us are potential mayors here what would be some major implementations here. Lets be formal about this. I would like to here some solid political ideas coming forth from this. I am good friends with Greg's kid, Pascal Toupin Selinger. He has told me he would love to be mayor, and I personally believe one day, after some maturing, he would do a good job.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 2:16 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Does anyone know of anyone who would make a competent mayor?
I would.

However I wouldn't want to take on the longer work hours, personal scrutiny, stress and huge pay cut. Being a mayor is a thankless job.

I suspect most smart successful people feel the same way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:30 PM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I would.

However I wouldn't want to take on the longer work hours, personal scrutiny, stress and huge pay cut. Being a mayor is a thankless job.

I suspect most smart successful people feel the same way.
Wow, and from all the talk here I would have thought there were no well-paying private sector jobs in Winnipeg. And yet, making $123,000 (1/3 tax free, so actually much higher than that) is a HUGE pay cut for you. Not to mention the huge expense account, and mayors office budget... Not bad Hotwired, not bad
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 7:31 PM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I would.
However I wouldn't want to take on the longer work hours, personal scrutiny, stress and huge pay cut. Being a mayor is a thankless job.

I suspect most smart successful people feel the same way.
I would also love to hear some of your proposals. Where could we cut spending? How would we pay for major infrastructure projects? Etc...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,913
i voted for Rav Gill. I have him on twitter. Funny guy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 3:38 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
katz is a saint now??
aww

he privitized our sand pits wa 60 millin dallor asset he sould for 10illion to a freind... like come on...

we can also bring up the parking lot he got himself free rent on beside his park no? theres endless list of scrupious buisnes deals hes made.........


if u guys even knew half the shit i've heard about him. the media knows and yet says very little
Katz isn't there for anyone but himself.
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 5:15 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,239
Sam Katz-West St. Paul-Brent Olynyk connect the dots.
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 6:12 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
http://www.jus.gov.mb.ca/

Type in Andrew Marquess.
He is the developer who Katz allowed to head the Fort Rouge infill project.

He has had 28 suites against him.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 7:37 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
http://www.jus.gov.mb.ca/

Type in Andrew Marquess.
He is the developer who Katz allowed to head the Fort Rouge infill project.

He has had 28 suites against him.
That's almost enough to build one of the buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:05 AM
Jets4Life Jets4Life is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
http://www.jus.gov.mb.ca/

Type in Andrew Marquess.
He is the developer who Katz allowed to head the Fort Rouge infill project.

He has had 28 suits against him.
Not surprising.

Ever hear of the saying "Birds of a feather flock together?"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:17 PM
alittle1 alittle1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I would.

However I wouldn't want to take on the longer work hours, personal scrutiny, stress and huge pay cut. Being a mayor is a thankless job.

I suspect most smart successful people feel the same way.
Al Golden would like you to thank him less, can you vote for him next time he runs?

You ever wonder why Katz doesn't mention Golden's name anymore? They've been separated ever since Katz did a number on Golden at the ballpark on the concession business. Katz gave it to someone who could do him more good and put coin in his pocket.

Katz is the only guy I know that can shake your hand and pick your pocket at the same time. Yeah, its a thankless job, but its lucrative.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:07 PM
Bdog's Avatar
Bdog Bdog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,155
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

‘O Brad Wall, Brad Wall, wherefore art thou?'

By: Bruce Owen

Posted: 02/29/2012 12:36 PM | Comments: 8 (including replies)

Quote:
The last time I checked, he had a full-time job in Saskatchewan.

But that hasn’t stopped a few on Manitoba’s right from trying to clone Wall and his success with the Saskatchewan Party in Manitoba.

They apparently want to call it the Manitoba Party with the goal of fielding candidates in the next provincial election in 2015. It would include disgruntled Tories and Liberals and anyone else who views the reigning NDP as a Marxist scourge driving the province to financial ruin, making it the Mississippi of Canada.

If Wall is their messiah, Saskatoon radio host John Gormley is their prophet. His book Left Out: Saskatchewan's NDP and the Relentless Pursuit of Mediocrity is considered essential reading for those who see a future so bleak, because of Manitoba’s NDP, that their children’s children will be living in dung huts on a scorched prairie. Gormley’s book is part a how-to on how to fight back against so-called unimaginative, uninspired, do-nothing government. In Saskatchewan’s case, that would be the NDP under Roy Romanow and later Lorne Calvert.

In Manitoba, a new right-wing party could supposedly duplicate the Saskatchewan Party’s electoral success. Wall was swept into office in 2007 and last Nov. 7, cemented his and his party’s hold on power by winning 49 of 58 seats in the Saskatchewan legislature, leaving the once-mighty NDP with nine seats.

Again, the general feeling of those said to be behind a Manitoba Party — I’ve tried to speak to some of those said to be involved, but they’re as quiet as church mice on a Sunday—is that this province is in the same floundering boat Saskatchewan was before Wall.

The icing on the cake for them was the Oct. 4 provincial election and the Progressive Conservative’s failure to win more than the 19 seats it already had going into the fall campaign.

There’s also the dismal PC campaign, abandoning the proud Tory legacy of former Premier Gary Filmon, in a misguided attempt to outdo the NDP on just about every plank except the Bipole III transmission line.

Because of that, they believe that the Progressive Conservative name is so damaged it won’t be able to recover by 2015, and that the NDP will coast to victory for another four years.

So, what is to be done?

Easy, they say. Unite. Unite. Unite. Fight. Fight. Fight.

Trouble is, is the Progressive Conservative name really that damaged in Manitoba?

Yes, to talk and to look at some in the party five months after the election it’s like watching an episode of The Walking Dead.

But there’s still a pulse. Its heart still beats.

Why the Saskatchewan Party has been so successful in that province is because the Progressive Conservatives cut their own throats. The lid on their coffin was hammered shut in the early '90s when 14 former PC MLAs were convicted of fraud and breach of trust in a phony expense-claim scandal.

In Manitoba, we don’t have that. We only have a PC Party that made a few dumb decisions in the fall campaign. There will be no criminal charges, no public inquiry.

What’s also missing is a Brad Wall. Simply, we don’t have one.

Another drawback to this low chatter about a Manitoba Party is that it distracts from the real business at hand — finding a replacement for outgoing PC leader Hugh McFadyen and then moving forward.

Whether it’s to be Brian Pallister or Kelvin Goertzen or whomever, they’ll have their hands full enough raising the PC profile going into 2015 without being sandbagged by a second right-wing party.

Unless, of course, the PCs do the unthinkable and fold their tent and join it.

bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...140900783.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 10:52 AM
Winnipegger@Heart Winnipegger@Heart is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 619
I see great potential in this new party.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:55 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
I see great potential in this new party.
I see great potential to split the right of centre vote.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.