HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:18 PM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Bluenote might stay holed up in his hotel when he visits other cities but normal people go out and see things.

Yup, I hide in hotels

Sir I am far from that. Whenever I travel in Canada and the USA, it is by car or truck, I bet I have put way more miles in my 41 years then you will put in a lifetime on the HWY. Flying from one place to another is the lazy way.

As for the comment on Vegas, well thats a funny one as I go there often. one night, the casino's were closed, I was pretty much WTF??? Because the city was DEAD. And all there was left on the streets were the local bums and prostitutes.

In Miami, a city based on tourism for the most part, take a drive down the water front, Hotels and Condos all mixed together.

Lets take a jump to Denver, well the city center ( very nice imo as for looks ) but it is EMPTY at night .

Jump again to the Twin Cities, St Paul at night is a place you pretty much do not want to even stop. drive straight down University BLVD back ( if you dont get mugged ) and back to Minn, City is bright, and lots of towers and such, but again dead.

Now see my young lad, when I plan a trip, whether it be to Vancouver, GTA, New York, Key West, Vegas, etc etc. I jump in my Car and Drive. I find it very interesting to actually see the country this way, and not jump and miss everything. And going from one town, city to another and seeing the differences is unreal.

But since I seem to be in the back room still with peoples views here. I ask this, why do you people sit here and preach how WPG needs more people LIVING DT to make it viable for business etc? Yet when I mention it, you say I am out to lunch????
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:26 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
or the next month or the next month or the next month.

wont be huge...maybe 17 stories.
still, its not bad. nice to see a high rise coming along with it

any potential other buildings or whatnot coming along as well? perhaps something mixed use
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:38 PM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
still, its not bad. nice to see a high rise coming along with it

any potential other buildings or whatnot coming along as well? perhaps something mixed use
Well we were talking about a smaller hotel were we not, that was going to go ( I think ) either the north end or west side of the current building. I have not heard anything more about it this year though. And there is still the unknown MPIC lot which is in the North East corner of the center. So......lol


I hope some of these projects are firmed up sooner then later.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 1:25 AM
Jack1983 Jack1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
or the next month or the next month or the next month.

wont be huge...maybe 17 stories.
I wonder how 17 stories will affect the Manitoba Hydro building in terms of the recieving Sun in the Winter. The building is partially heated by the sun in the winter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:08 AM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Yup, I hide in hotels

Sir I am far from that.
Umm, doesn't that then completely contradict your initial argument that hotel goers don't spend money outside of hotels? People were suggesting you 'hide in hotels' solely because of the counter-intuitive argument you were trying to make.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:12 AM
viperred88's Avatar
viperred88 viperred88 is offline
visionary
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wpg
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
That is 100% ass backwards. Hotels (and associated restaurants) add way more activity than condos. Do you think the Las Vegas strip would have any activity if the buildings were condos?
exactly and downtowns tend to be more walkable rather than suburbs
__________________
'We shape our buildings and then they shape us. They capture the Zeitgeist, the spirit of their time.'
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:22 AM
viperred88's Avatar
viperred88 viperred88 is offline
visionary
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wpg
Posts: 1,214
oh blast, another damn one or 2 skywalks to be constructed onto the new hotel(s) another way for tourist to not engage with the street level of downtown. With all the money they spend on the sky walks they should of build floor heated sidewalks like they do in Oslo, Norway for they never have ice on them. They could also build glass corridor with radiant heat above.
__________________
'We shape our buildings and then they shape us. They capture the Zeitgeist, the spirit of their time.'
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:26 AM
viperred88's Avatar
viperred88 viperred88 is offline
visionary
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wpg
Posts: 1,214
I am guessing the new and old renovated convention center won't have commercial space on the ground-floor instead it will all be tucked somewheres like on the second floor.
__________________
'We shape our buildings and then they shape us. They capture the Zeitgeist, the spirit of their time.'
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:02 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Easy, Bluenote may be a young un that is just contributing what he thinks is correct. He is a terrific contributor here.
You're telling me to go easy for that comment?

I think that's an insult to him more than me. Obviously he was able to take it. But I'm not sure if a bunch of shitty experiences in American cities, many of which were probably more than a few years ago when the downtown resurgence began, can really be fairly used in this discussion. Just ten years ago my city's downtown was a bunch of boarded up businesses and nothing to do, now it's the entertainment district and you can't find parking at any time of day (which hasn't affected it yet, but will eventually. Unlike Winnipeg we don't have oodles of surface lots everywhere.)

Times change. He's 41 years old so he should know that.

Part of the reason cities get so dangerous like that is because people hide from the bad parts. With no eyes on the streets, criminals have free reign. Condos aren't the only eyes. Hotels are too. You need both. And you need businesses to serve those people. Mixed use. It's not limited to just two uses.

Again using my hometown as an example: Thunder Bay has two downtowns. In one, there are no condos or hotels and most businesses close at 5pm. In the other, there is more than twice as many people living there, and businesses close at 2am. Which one do you think has more crime?

It's not the one with all the bars and hotels.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:55 AM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You're telling me to go easy for that comment?

I think that's an insult to him more than me. Obviously he was able to take it. But I'm not sure if a bunch of shitty experiences in American cities, many of which were probably more than a few years ago when the downtown resurgence began, can really be fairly used in this discussion. Just ten years ago my city's downtown was a bunch of boarded up businesses and nothing to do, now it's the entertainment district and you can't find parking at any time of day (which hasn't affected it yet, but will eventually. Unlike Winnipeg we don't have oodles of surface lots everywhere.)

Times change. He's 41 years old so he should know that.

Part of the reason cities get so dangerous like that is because people hide from the bad parts. With no eyes on the streets, criminals have free reign. Condos aren't the only eyes. Hotels are too. You need both. And you need businesses to serve those people. Mixed use. It's not limited to just two uses.

Again using my hometown as an example: Thunder Bay has two downtowns. In one, there are no condos or hotels and most businesses close at 5pm. In the other, there is more than twice as many people living there, and businesses close at 2am. Which one do you think has more crime?

It's not the one with all the bars and hotels.
Last trip, 4 months ago, total miles put on, 5000. Last time in your town, 1 year ago. And before that, 10 years ago, looks the same to me, just has some more shiny signs.

Last small trip, last week. Total miles, 1000 plus. That was to the Twin cities
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:00 AM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
exactly and downtowns tend to be more walkable rather than suburbs
here

http://www.walkscore.com/


get your score for any city or area. This has been posted in the Canada section for some time. But maybe you missed it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:32 PM
wags_in_the_peg wags_in_the_peg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
here

http://www.walkscore.com/


get your score for any city or area. This has been posted in the Canada section for some time. But maybe you missed it.
my house has a 77, nice! and it's missing hair salon, parks, community club. i'm going to add those in!
__________________
just an ordinary Prairie Boy who loves to be in the loop on what is going on

Last edited by wags_in_the_peg; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: made error
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:13 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Exchange, Winnipeg
Posts: 1,396
It gives Sky condos (340 Waterfront) a walk score of 90. It seems to count some things that probably shouldn't be counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:05 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
It gives Sky condos (340 Waterfront) a walk score of 90. It seems to count some things that probably shouldn't be counted.
Like a driving school nearby is a close school.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:41 PM
dpenner's Avatar
dpenner dpenner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg/Ottawa
Posts: 262
naming rights for the new convention center are for sale, here is to hoping that we dont get stuck with these various names:

Maple leaf processing center
Walmart Canada Corp. Center
Shoppers Drug Mart Center
Canadian Tire center
Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan center
Workplace safety and inspection board of Toronto center
Dollarama Center
Giant Tiger Center

i could go on......
__________________
“By its nature, the metropolis provides what otherwise could be given only by traveling; namely, the strange.”

"I feel like I've been living in a city with no children in it, a garden left for ruin by a millionaire inside of a private prison"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 10:35 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
naming rights for the new convention center are for sale, here is to hoping that we dont get stuck with these various names:

Maple leaf processing center
Walmart Canada Corp. Center
Shoppers Drug Mart Center
Canadian Tire center
Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan center
Workplace safety and inspection board of Toronto center

Dollarama Center
Giant Tiger Center

i could go on......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 11:48 PM
Halverso_99 Halverso_99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Haha. Those are good. Especially the last two.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 12:47 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Last trip, 4 months ago, total miles put on, 5000. Last time in your town, 1 year ago. And before that, 10 years ago, looks the same to me, just has some more shiny signs.
Yes, because a new tallest building in one downtown and an entirely new waterfront in the other is "looks the same". Intercity has doubled in size. 10 years ago we didn't have the theatre, the casino, and a third of the university's educational buildings. "The same".

I guess you're just not really looking at the cities you're visiting since your visits are clearly very casual in nature. You're not going to the cities to experience the cities, you're going there for a brief business affair and then going back home. A trip to Minneapolis for you is as mundane as a trip to the bank for me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:10 AM
Pegger5 Pegger5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Proud to be from "The Peg"
Posts: 217
Loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
The original point that was made by Pegger5 was that there is a reason why the hotels need to be like every other city - some tourists and business people stick with a particular chain for point/loyalty reasons.
Exactly! Anyone would understand this that travels a lot. Especially to the the USA and Canada. All the people I work with end up staying near the airport at the Hilton or Sheraton and only because of the points/loyalty programs. They would rather stay downtown and spend their money. I stay free in Hawaii at the Westin every year for 10 days. Don't fool yourselves, Winnipeg is missing out on a lot of business travelers and many tourists that would otherwise stay downtown but stay at the boring airport area..Me included. It frustrates many out of towners.
__________________
http://www.financialpost.com/magazine/fp500/list.html
TOP 800 -Winnipeg: 32 + 3 subsidiaries = 35
----------Edmonton: 25 + 1 subsidiary = 26
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:21 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cold Garden
Posts: 20,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yes, because a new tallest building in one downtown and an entirely new waterfront in the other is "looks the same". Intercity has doubled in size. 10 years ago we didn't have the theatre, the casino, and a third of the university's educational buildings. "The same".

I guess you're just not really looking at the cities you're visiting since your visits are clearly very casual in nature. You're not going to the cities to experience the cities, you're going there for a brief business affair and then going back home. A trip to Minneapolis for you is as mundane as a trip to the bank for me.

and the biggest changes for Tbay are yet to come! By 2015, Thunder Bay will look like a modern major city! Will feel like one too with all the people that the condos and hotel will bring to downtown. I wish Fairmont would buy the Prince Arthur Hotel and redevelop it into a nice one again!
__________________
Strong & free

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.