HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


View Poll Results: Winnipeg's (CMA) Population in 5 Years Will Be.....
740,000 or less 40 23.39%
740,000-750,000 26 15.20%
750,000-760,000 24 14.04%
760,000 or more 81 47.37%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 5:02 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
So what you are saying is that the growth in Winnipeg is fixed to the average experienced between 2001 and 2006, and it can't increase?

How do you explain the latest population figures? Let me guess, NDP lies and baloney.
also i was referring to viking's earlier comment that wpg's growth has been 8,000 per year for years and years..which is not true. shall we dream up numbers or talk facts here?
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 5:07 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
err...where you been?...winnipeg has grown by that amount for the last 5 years and has averaged 5000 for the last 10....your hypothesis that immigrants leave in 6 months is completely false....look at the statistics and compare immigration to population growth numbers and you will see that you are formulating your opinion on myth and not fact.

the immigrant sponsorship programme pretty much guarantees that we will continue to grow at at least that pace....moe likely it will be at a greater pace.
like i said 3,000 (and posted a link earlier) a year for the past several...at most. big portion is aborigional population coming to the city. rural areas have declined. immigrants get into Canada via the easy access provincial nominee program here and then once they arrive are free to go anywhere in Canada which is what the majority of them do within six months. Sure the economy here is decent but there aren't thousands of new professional jobs created here yearly and most immigrants who arrive via our program are professionals and that is what they want..not a cleaning job..or driving a taxi..so they leave.
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 6:29 PM
Pegger5 Pegger5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Proud to be from "The Peg"
Posts: 217
2 years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...ba-census.html

people on here have the numbers all wrong..totally exaggerated..and ignore the Immigration ministers baloney at the end of this article.
This article is from over 2 1/2 years ago talking about numbers done 3-8 years ago... How about we all just follow the latest data set forth at the beginning of this thread from Stats Can posted in the Winnipeg Free Press.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-48239627.html

More than half of Calgary's growth every year is through immigration.
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 7:07 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,517
......must be all fabricated Government propaganda, just useless baseless facts, i'm sure as stated by experts above this is all false and we have only grown by a few thousand (as shown with his attention to detailed figures - what was the number he used...oh, yeah, half of the people leave anyways. I have never been able to find the "Half" or "Most" button on my statistical calculator).........but here it is anyways



Manitoba News Release
............................................................
June 24, 2009

MANITOBA POPULATION GROWS BY 14,007, BEST IN AT LEAST 37 YEARS: SWAN
- - -
Province Attracts Record Number of Immigrants

Manitoba experienced remarkable population growth in the last 12 months, jumping by 14,007 people, Competitiveness, Training and Trade Minister Andrew Swan said today.

"All Manitobans should be very pleased that more people are choosing this province as a great place to live and work," Swan said. "We are all looking forward to further strong population growth in the coming years."

According to Statistics Canada data released yesterday, Manitoba's population stood at 1,217,200 people as of April 1.

Since the current record-keeping system began in 1971, Manitoba's population has never increased so much in a 12-month period. The last record-growth year was 1983-84 when the population grew by 13,615.

Swan said a record number of international immigrants is behind this historic rise and, consequently, total net migration inflow levels are also at a 37-year high. Manitoba welcomed more than 12,000 immigrants between April 2008 and April 2009 for another modern-day record.

Statistics Canada estimates 9,300 more people came to live in Manitoba than left the province in the last 12 months with about 18,000 more people arriving from other jurisdictions than leaving during the last 24 months.

This is a direct result of the Government of Manitoba's Provincial Nominee's Program, said Swan.

"In the first year following the launch of the Provincial Nominee Program in 1998, only 11.2 per cent of immigrants were provincial nominees. Now, they constitute more than 70 per cent of all the immigrants coming to Manitoba," Swan said.
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 7:25 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 6,219
^ pffft. Those numbers are from 2009. Plus it's obviously propaganda from the government.

Show me something from 2001, and maybe I'll believe it...
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 8:33 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,650
lol
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:00 PM
hexrae's Avatar
hexrae hexrae is offline
Armchair urbanist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
immigrants leave because there are few professional jobs here. Manitoba's growth is based on aboriginal people having lots of kids and aboriginals following the white man to the city and taxpayers paying for it all. that's it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...ba-census.html


When the census was taken in May 2006 the population of Winnipeg was 633,451 compared with 619,544 in 2001. That's less than 3,000 per year. So where is the 8,000 per year??
get ur facts straight, so much of what you post on here is based of delusional myths.


While it's true that the Aboriginal birth rate is much higher than the average Canadian rate, to state that the growth of an entire province is based on it can be viewed as delusional too, no?
__________________
[Insert profound statement here]
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:26 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
from 96-01 aboriginal population in Canada for which Manitoba has a disproportionately high number ..rose 22 percent overall. Non aboriginal population in the same time period only rose 3 percent and that trend is expected to remain for decades.

http://www.clbc.ca/files/Reports/Abo...tary_piece.pdf
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:31 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,650
and whats the latest data say?
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:37 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
55,000 Aboriginals lived in Winnipeg in 01 with a birth rate several times higher than everyone else. do the math, it equates to thousands yearly. If immigration numbers were what everyone is told the growth rate in Winnipeg would be more around the 15,000 per year average.
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:45 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...boriginal.html


(2006) In Winnipeg one in ten persons is aboriginal. Five years leading up to 2006 aboriginal population in Winnipeg rose by 22% and only 1% for all other persons. Delusional to consider the significance of Aboriginal growth related to overall population in Winnipeg given birth rate trends? I think not.
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:51 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is online now
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 11,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...ba-census.html


When the census was taken in May 2006 the population of Winnipeg was 633,451 compared with 619,544 in 2001. That's less than 3,000 per year. So where is the 8,000 per year??
get ur facts straight, so much of what you post on here is based of delusional myths.
yeah, ok....the title of this thread is 'Winnipeg's (CMA) Population in 5 Years'......why are you posting civic population numbers?....maybe you are the one who should check his facts....

the CMA has averaged 4800 over the last 10 years and almost 7000 for the last 4.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&hl=en&ct=clnk
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:58 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
Aboriginal growth is what grows Winnipeg more than anything. I can't imagine why the provincial government does not boast their success of this. Immigration is a drop in the bucket and a side show for the real story of Winnipeg's future growth. But the government only speaks about Immigration 'growth'. Are they not proud of Aboriginal growth?
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
yeah, ok....the title of this thread is 'Winnipeg's (CMA) Population in 5 Years'......why are you posting civic population numbers?....maybe you are the one who should check his facts....

the CMA has averaged 4800 over the last 10 years and almost 7000 for the last 4.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&hl=en&ct=clnk
my point is that it's aboriginal growth which fuels it..not immigration.
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,650
well we need to get rid of this natives vs whites and put everyone on the same playing feild education wise and give eveyone all the tools needed to step up and become tomarrows leaders
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:05 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
well we need to get rid of this natives vs whites and put everyone on the same playing feild education wise and give eveyone all the tools needed to step up and become tomarrows leaders
aww..that sounds sweet. problem is aboriginals want to be seperate in terms of status because it aids them a great deal given current laws.
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:13 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
to manage population growth it is imperative to understand the different demographics involved to facilitate success and integration and to identify specific need per sub group ect. we can't just sit around and sing kumbaya and have it all work out wonderfully.
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:17 PM
wayward_prince wayward_prince is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
and whats the latest data say?

1980...sorry this isn't more recent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MiD_U4CHQ
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:24 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is online now
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 11,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
my point is that it's aboriginal growth which fuels it..not immigration.
i dont read that as being your point anywhere....

"When the census was taken in May 2006 the population of Winnipeg was 633,451 compared with 619,544 in 2001. That's less than 3,000 per year. So where is the 8,000 per year??
get ur facts straight, so much of what you post on here is based of delusional myths."


you popped off and i proved you wrong.....dont try and change your tune now.....if i post delusional myths, prove it....i handed you your hat...enjoy it.

your aboriginal crap is just as baseless....are you claiming that the aboriginal population is increasing in winnipeg by 7000 per year?....didnt think so.

use actual numbers, not percentages and you will see that you are totally wrong once again.

the article you quote shows that more people are claiming metis status, which skews aboriginal growth numbers in the city.

find actual numbers of aboriginal urban immigration and birth rates....then we can talk about your theory....

i can prove that 8-10 000 non aboriginal immigrants per year come to the city....for some reason you disregard that, eventhough it perfectly corelates with overall growth numbers and is cited over and over as the main reason for our growth

you have no back up for your theory.

Last edited by trueviking; Jun 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:29 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,650
they count metie under aborigonal? woulda thought that would of fallen under metie
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.