HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1941  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:00 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,383
Seems to be a dangerous game -- paying to subsidize airlines to entice them to the city. This has been discussed here (YWG) in the past - to try to get a direct flight to LAX to assist with the Film Industry. It's been rumored that we lost out on some productions because of lack of a direct flight. I'm not sure the economics made sense and no deal was struck. I'd love to see all the prairie cities with more direct flights to US hubs, but it seems like we're all stuck with the hub and spoke model for now. I am hoping the new Airbus A220 (former Bombarier C series) might open up new routes with its longer range and greater fuel efficiency. Delta has ordered a bunch. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1942  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:19 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Seems to be a dangerous game -- paying to subsidize airlines to entice them to the city. This has been discussed here (YWG) in the past - to try to get a direct flight to LAX to assist with the Film Industry. It's been rumored that we lost out on some productions because of lack of a direct flight. I'm not sure the economics made sense and no deal was struck. I'd love to see all the prairie cities with more direct flights to US hubs, but it seems like we're all stuck with the hub and spoke model for now. I am hoping the new Airbus A220 (former Bombarier C series) might open up new routes with its longer range and greater fuel efficiency. Delta has ordered a bunch. Time will tell.
Direct flights by Delta or United to MSP, DEN and/or ORD (as we had before) would be a big help. The flights were well-sold. And fares out of Regina via YYC, YEG, YWG, YYZ and so on are really pretty expensive at the moment.

The quandary here is that adding daily flights to the US will drive fares down on the Canadian routes. The tax subsidy lets the airport reduce its landing fees to airlines, which will allow the airlines to make similar money to what they're earning now but at lower fares (and will allow the US airlines to possibly make similar money to what they're making flying their smaller aircraft from hubs to subsidized US airports - the US heavily subsidizes small airports, so currently, they can fly emptier airplanes out of, say, Gillette, Wyoming than out of Regina and make the same money).

Time will tell if this is enough, but it certainly won't hurt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1943  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:36 PM
Missinglink Missinglink is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: No where near you
Posts: 45
Ultimately if the price point on the route is too high it's not going to fly for very long.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1944  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 8:10 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Direct flights by Delta or United to MSP, DEN and/or ORD (as we had before) would be a big help. The flights were well-sold. And fares out of Regina via YYC, YEG, YWG, YYZ and so on are really pretty expensive at the moment.

The quandary here is that adding daily flights to the US will drive fares down on the Canadian routes. The tax subsidy lets the airport reduce its landing fees to airlines, which will allow the airlines to make similar money to what they're earning now but at lower fares (and will allow the US airlines to possibly make similar money to what they're making flying their smaller aircraft from hubs to subsidized US airports - the US heavily subsidizes small airports, so currently, they can fly emptier airplanes out of, say, Gillette, Wyoming than out of Regina and make the same money).

Time will tell if this is enough, but it certainly won't hurt.
Yes apparently the small airport subsidy is why Minot can be so cheap.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1945  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 8:41 PM
KTBuild KTBuild is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
Good news now let's announce a direct US flight!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1946  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 11:55 PM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,172
Yay! Subsidize flights to Trumpville! YQR takes in $11M per year in improvement fees, they don't need a damn additional subsidy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1947  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:19 PM
KTBuild KTBuild is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
At least it's tied to a customer benefit. The alternative is the choice between 8 flights a day to Calgary just to go south of the 49th parallel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1948  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:01 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Yay! Subsidize flights to Trumpville! YQR takes in $11M per year in improvement fees, they don't need a damn additional subsidy.
The subsidy wasn't granted to benefit the airport; it was granted to benefit Regina travelers' flight options and to make it easier for US visitors (business and personal) to get to Regina. If I recall correctly, the airport is run as a non-profit organization so other than to potentially gain additional money for future expansion, it doesn't benefit at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1949  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:01 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,822
While I personally stand to benefit (I go to Minneapolis 2-3 times a year for business) it's a fairly large tax break that doesn't sit quite right with me.

I hope after the 5 years the program ends and the American flights stay of their own choice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1950  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 6:23 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
While I personally stand to benefit (I go to Minneapolis 2-3 times a year for business) it's a fairly large tax break that doesn't sit quite right with me.

I hope after the 5 years the program ends and the American flights stay of their own choice.
The CEO of YQR stated that Denver/United was the most likely destination. As has been posted before on this thread, once the WestJet-Delta JV is approved, one would think we have a shot at an MSP flight.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1951  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 6:14 PM
EDM753Fan EDM753Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: was Edmonton - now Regina
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The CEO of YQR stated that Denver/United was the most likely destination. As has been posted before on this thread, once the WestJet-Delta JV is approved, one would think we have a shot at an MSP flight.
Looking forward to this. UA via Denver is better than having to go all the way to YYC or YVR to even get to the States. Way to go YQR, looking forward to an announcement!!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1952  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:10 PM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM753Fan View Post
Looking forward to this. UA via Denver is better than having to go all the way to YYC or YVR to even get to the States. Way to go YQR, looking forward to an announcement!!

If United is coming back to Sask it would be really surprising to see them not do both cities.. wonder if Regina’s incentive will also move them to Saskatoon again - but we don’t have to pay the incentive haha
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1953  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:53 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
If United is coming back to Sask it would be really surprising to see them not do both cities.. wonder if Regina’s incentive will also move them to Saskatoon again - but we don’t have to pay the incentive haha
Didn’t the Saskatoon airport get a grant to promote the Airport a while back?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1954  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:29 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
If United is coming back to Sask it would be really surprising to see them not do both cities.. wonder if Regina’s incentive will also move them to Saskatoon again - but we don’t have to pay the incentive haha
I don't think it's a sure thing they'd go to YXE, since Saskatoon still has YXE-MSP. United would have more competition there than in Regina.

If things went well in Regina... then yes, I could absolutely see them looking at adding YXE-DEN.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1955  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:12 PM
EDM753Fan EDM753Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: was Edmonton - now Regina
Posts: 92
If this DEN-YQR flight were to come to fruition, what kind of timeframes are we looking?
Q1 2020?
Q2 2020?
Q1 2021?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1956  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:42 PM
KTBuild KTBuild is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
Airlines have their routes set in stone up until the end of April, 2020 so May 1st would be the earliest assuming things are in the mid/late planning stages.

In another month or two when May-August summer routes are finalized and announced, the earliest will be fall 2020.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1957  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:47 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,274






Work has begun. Inside windows gone.





New Kreos Hangar


Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Sep 6, 2019 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1958  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 11:01 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,568
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1959  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 4:37 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,274
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1960  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:21 AM
kalin_10 kalin_10 is offline
ConstructionPete
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 309
The way forward: Saskatoon International Airport

Situated in a city of just over 273,000 people, Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport (CYXE), also known under the brand name “Skyxe,” is making big changes.

https://www.skiesmag.com/features/th...ional-airport/
__________________
I heard that Saskatoon's new downtown highrise correctional facility will be opening in the near future... only one peculiar thing about it; it's signage says 'Holiday Inn and Suites'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.