HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #45801  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 6:13 PM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Two stories; nothing above.

Darn... I was hoping for a rooftop bar! Still, at least it'll be brick and respect the area better than the other short one they just built over there
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45802  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:09 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,091
^Second floor will have a retractable roof, so (in good weather) you can still howl at the moon while drinking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45803  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 11:25 PM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Second floor will have a retractable roof, so (in good weather) you can still howl at the moon while drinking.
Good!
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45804  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:01 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
^ Definitely not all it could be.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45805  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:17 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Darn... I was hoping for a rooftop bar! Still, at least it'll be brick and respect the area better than the other short one they just built over there
I don't get the hate for the building across the street, it has great brick and a patina metal cladding and the massing steps up to the classing Printers Row midrises instead of chopping off the top like a buzz cut.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45806  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 2:11 AM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,091

Photo by SolarWind


My objection is that [751 S. Dearborn] doesn't use the forms and materials characteristic of the Printing House Row landmark district. It has massing and fenestration dictated by the internal needs of the residence—rather than the more universal rhythm and symmetry of the endlessly adaptable industrial loft buildings that comprise the rest of the district. It uses the strange checkerboard metal screening on the south exposures, which is not a material native to the district at all.

The south end of the Borland Manufacturing Buildings illustrate the proper form for a low building to take here. In my philosophy, when you build in a historic district you have to step up your game; you have to take the forms and materials of that district and make a contemporary building by skillfully deploying or reinterpreting them—not by just ignoring everything other than the brick color.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45807  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 1:39 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,359
Cool

^^^ The West facade of this building literally continues the exact fenestration pattern of the historic building to the North and then wraps it around the South side of the block. I don't understand how you can claim it doesn't.

Any attempt at ye olde factorye here would fall flat on it's face. I think this turned out pretty damn nice considering it's essentially shoehorning a SFH into a dense high-rise district. It certainly respects the district much more than a vacant lot...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45808  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 3:40 PM
Baronvonellis Baronvonellis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ The West facade of this building literally continues the exact fenestration pattern of the historic building to the North and then wraps it around the South side of the block. I don't understand how you can claim it doesn't.

Any attempt at ye olde factorye here would fall flat on it's face. I think this turned out pretty damn nice considering it's essentially shoehorning a SFH into a dense high-rise district. It certainly respects the district much more than a vacant lot...
I think if they just would of left off the weird checkerboard pattern screen at the top and continued the fenestration pattern on the top floor it would be better. Otherwise the rest of the building matches it's neighbor pretty well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45809  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:07 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The West facade of this building literally continues the exact fenestration pattern of the historic building to the North
Except that it doesn't. Fenestration is more than the size of the openings.

You've got a window that's two-thirds bricked in, as if that fools anyone, and another on the end that's only a half-window. In a cantilevered overhang. And they're all huge sheets of plate glass rather than double-hung windows with divided lights.

I didn't realize "better than a parking lot" was now the test for whether a new building is judged appropriate in a landmark district.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45810  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:17 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 12,221
Sears Tower

__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45811  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:23 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Except that it doesn't. Fenestration is more than the size of the openings.

You've got a window that's two-thirds bricked in, as if that fools anyone, and another on the end that's only a half-window. In a cantilevered overhang. And they're all huge sheets of plate glass rather than double-hung windows with divided lights.
The architects of those buildings would have killed to have the ability to install full size plate glass windows with no double hung. You whine about the interior dictating the fenestration while completely ignoring the fact that the fenestration you want aped so badly was also dictated by interior factors like ventilation which are irrelevant in modern building design. The Chicago window existed to create airflow, not because it was the aesthetic choice of the era. Just look at CPS or Reliance to see what architects of the time were really jonesing to do. They wanted as much glass as possible and would have made it one solid plate glass square if that were an option.

Quote:
I didn't realize "better than a parking lot" was now the test for whether a new building is judged appropriate in a landmark district.
It's not, but neither is "let's make it fake old" because I might knock over my walker in shock if I see anything that doesn'te havee ane ee ate thee ende ofe ite...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45812  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 6:32 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Wow, this is my first time seeing this, I would presume this is one of the main entrances? It beckons indeed.....
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45813  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:44 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wow, this is my first time seeing this, I would presume this is one of the main entrances? It beckons indeed.....
Yes, that's the Wacker entrance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45814  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 7:47 PM
JK47 JK47 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wow, this is my first time seeing this, I would presume this is one of the main entrances? It beckons indeed.....

I wish it would beckon the contractor to hurry the f*ck up. They've only reduced Adams by one lane for a week and already colossally f*cked up traffic this morning when their oopsie forced them to take another lane out and backed up traffic from Adams, up Lasalle, and down Wacker to Wabash (literally buses nose to tail the whole way). I dread what my commute will be like this winter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45815  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 8:11 PM
Barrelfish Barrelfish is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
I wish it would beckon the contractor to hurry the f*ck up. They've only reduced Adams by one lane for a week and already colossally f*cked up traffic this morning when their oopsie forced them to take another lane out and backed up traffic from Adams, up Lasalle, and down Wacker to Wabash (literally buses nose to tail the whole way). I dread what my commute will be like this winter.
I was wondering why traffic on LaSalle has been so terrible this week. I was ready to blame my usual hobbyhorse: clueless lyft/uber drivers cutting into the bus stops to drop off their equally clueless passengers exactly in front of the address instead of half a block up the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45816  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 8:22 PM
JK47 JK47 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
I was wondering why traffic on LaSalle has been so terrible this week. I was ready to blame my usual hobbyhorse: clueless lyft/uber drivers cutting into the bus stops to drop off their equally clueless passengers exactly in front of the address instead of half a block up the street.

The genius contractors left jersey barriers up along the Jackson entrance sidewalk (so now there's only 1 side, Wacker, that's available for drop off or pickup with barriers blocking the others) so I saw one rideshare drop off passengers mid-block who then had to walk in traffic until they could get around the barrier (well 2 out of 3...the third one tried to walk around the rideshare car in order to climb over the barriers and got hit by another car). Just bad decisions compounding on other bad decisions.

Incidentally the Jackson entrance is the one for the Skydeck.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45817  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 8:34 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 384
Anyone have info on "The Parker 60614" project on Ashland south of Diversey? I drove by yesterday and it looked like foundation had been poured, but I didn't see much other sign of life... I checked google streetview and it is indeed new, it was just an overgrown lot at this time last year:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9313...7i16384!8i8192

Project was reportedly stalled in 2017:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/9/...o-project-dead

This ones been an empty lot since the building there was demo'd in 2015...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45818  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:16 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wow, this is my first time seeing this, I would presume this is one of the main entrances? It beckons indeed.....

Yeah, that's fantastic.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45819  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:32 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,635
Project to rehab the Hollander warehouse on Milwaukee Ave in Logan Square and and what appears to be new construction in a mixed use project for offices and retail. I don’t have premium access so I can’t read this article:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/08...building-site/
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45820  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:46 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Anyone have info on "The Parker 60614" project on Ashland south of Diversey? I drove by yesterday and it looked like foundation had been poured, but I didn't see much other sign of life... I checked google streetview and it is indeed new, it was just an overgrown lot at this time last year:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9313...7i16384!8i8192

Project was reportedly stalled in 2017:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/9/...o-project-dead

This ones been an empty lot since the building there was demo'd in 2015...
I'm not actually convinced it's dead:

1) There were 2 permits issued for new construction on May 10, 2019 - both 6 flat buildings. 2725 and 2731 N Ashland.

2) There are pending new construction permits for 2711, 2717, 2721, and 2737 where the dates on it are all 2019 - each of them are 6 flat buildings. Doing the math, that's 24 units plus the 12 above - 36 total. Maybe not as many as the original project, but still not a small project at 6 total buildings. By the way, 36 was the pre-approved amount of units which means maybe they didn't get zoning approval or something and originally didn't want to do it, but now they're taking it up with the original amount approved for the site.

3) The owner is "L 4 Dev LLC" which traces back to C3. C3 is listed in that Curbed article. The previous owner back in 2015 was under a different LLC name, but it was C3. The project is still listed on C3's website. Chicago Development Partners was also on some of this - their website also has this project.

P.S. If you go to my new construction permit map in my signature, you'll see those 2 permits that were issued in May on the map.

Last edited by marothisu; Aug 22, 2019 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.