HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:20 PM
The City

^ Approved in what way?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 5:57 PM

gonna be insane if ends up looking half as good, stunning

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yeah, the building was clearly messed up by years of odd "rehab". Never heard of Sonder. Looks pretty cool, have you been to one?
Nope, but I stayed at something that at least sounds similar awhile ago in Rome.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:16 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
I certainly hope that they recognize what they have and restore it, but frankly anything will be better that that mixed up mess they're removing.

It always reminded me of the pictures that they ran in the Old House magazine of houses that had been what they termed "remuddled."
I have this great old book from the 50's that's basically a tutorial guide to the "modernization" of farm houses where all the plans and renderings show these hideous thoughtless ranch dwellings grafted onto the side of a 1880's/1900 farmhouse. The mindset that brought us those misguided botched modifications were the same ones that "improved" historic facades like this one with sheet metal and bricked up 16 foot windows. It's hard to understand what people were thinking back then, but I'm sure in fifty years many will say similar things about the current times and some of the current trends.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Approved in what way?
Plan Commission because of PD. It's another step toward restoration.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New construction permit for 1604 N Richmond (North & Richmond) for a new 6 story, 40 unit building with ground floor retail and 17 indoor parking spaces. Not 100% sure, but think it will knock down this building. I'm guessing some of the surface lot/vacant land just north of it will be built on too

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.7005641
I live down the block from this site. They boarded up the back of the building a couple weeks ago and everyone has moved out. I thought it was going to be included with the project adjacent to the west of this parcel, but the unit count makes it look like their will be two new buildings on this stretch of North Ave. I'm hoping with these new developments the city will look at street improvements for North Ave. along Humboldt Park. Adding a boulevard of trees would be very do-able and would go a long way to make crossing the street less dangerous and help North feel less like an auto sewer.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:30 PM
The City

More good news for Uptown’s brewing entertainment district:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...221-story.html

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:37 PM

With more live entertainment coming to Uptown, and the city’s desire to make it an epicenter for entertainment/performing arts on the north side, would it ever make sense for Second City to consider relocating from southern Lincoln Park/Old Town to Uptown? Though perhaps the old saying is true, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” And in this case, Second City ain’t broke.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I have this great old book from the 50's that's basically a tutorial guide to the "modernization" of farm houses where all the plans and renderings show these hideous thoughtless ranch dwellings grafted onto the side of a 1880's/1900 farmhouse. The mindset that brought us those misguided botched modifications were the same ones that "improved" historic facades like this one with sheet metal and bricked up 16 foot windows. It's hard to understand what people were thinking back then, but I'm sure in fifty years many will say similar things about the current times and some of the current trends.
Yeah. Part of the mystery in this case is how it wound up with four hideous facades stacked on top of each other. I believe one of the middle sections was house-grade aluminum siding.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
More good news for Uptown’s brewing entertainment district:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...221-story.html
as a timeline theater subscriber for the past 8 years, i'm very excited about this news. they're a fantastic theater company and they've been LONG overdue for a new and proper home.

and now i'll have even more reasons to patronize those wonderful argyle street restaurants!!!

and i love that they're reusing/re-purposing a 100 year old warehouse for the new theater; that dovetails so perfectly with timeline's overall philosophy/mission.

i hope all of this new uptown entertainment district interest will finally raise land values enough to bulldoze those god-awful strip malls along broadway in that area.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
With more live entertainment coming to Uptown, and the city’s desire to make it an epicenter for entertainment/performing arts on the north side, would it ever make sense for Second City to consider relocating from southern Lincoln Park/Old Town to Uptown?
Not really. I don't see what benefit this would bring for SecondCity. They certainly aren't short on space where they are and everything is basically brand new. I'm sure a large percentage of their patrons are tourists staying in downtown hotels. Their location is basically perfect for what they need.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:03 PM

Congress + Vacant Lot next door got approved too. This is great. As a neighbor I reached out to the alderman personally to voice my support.

Also, Some old white lady keeps showing up to the "community meetings" regarding new developments along Milwaukee Ave and claims the city promissed to build a park on vacant land during the 1990/2000s and never followed through. God bless her for being consistent.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Kedzie View Post
I live down the block from this site. They boarded up the back of the building a couple weeks ago and everyone has moved out. I thought it was going to be included with the project adjacent to the west of this parcel, but the unit count makes it look like their will be two new buildings on this stretch of North Ave. I'm hoping with these new developments the city will look at street improvements for North Ave. along Humboldt Park. Adding a boulevard of trees would be very do-able and would go a long way to make crossing the street less dangerous and help North feel less like an auto sewer.
Pretty sure it'll be 2 different buildings (though I think as someone pointed out, owned by the same developer). It would be nice to see North Avenue spruced up a bit. I'm sure they'll think more and more about it.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 4:38 PM

That planned 4 story, 39 unit + ground floor retail building at the corner of Lawrence & Ashland was issued a new construction building permit yesterday.

Curbed article with a rendering back from February:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/2/6/...hland-lawrence

It will replace an auto repair shop:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/47...!4d-87.6689349

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 4:18 AM

Sears Tower mall

Dec 7

Dec 17

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 10:13 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Not really. I don't see what benefit this would bring for SecondCity. They certainly aren't short on space where they are and everything is basically brand new. I'm sure a large percentage of their patrons are tourists staying in downtown hotels. Their location is basically perfect for what they need.
I agree. It's walkable for some hotels, a short, cheap taxi/Uber/Lyft ride from Most of downtown, and a quick Brown Line trip from the Loop for visitors who love transit. Uptown is 2-3 times as expensive via car, or twice as long via transit, for most tourists. Locals also probably prefer, so far, going out in Old Town than in Uptown. The locals equation might change over the next two decades, but the tourists won't.
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:49 PM
The City

People will foray to the Uptown Theatre for major acts.

All the more reason I'm against the Lincoln Yards events center.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 6:46 PM

Cruising Belmont

Dec 9

Southport and Belmont

SW lot

NW lot

Now that the track work is done .... Belmont sta.

Belmont/Clark

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 10:20 PM

Exciting news for the Western Ave auto sewer. Both the Pizza Hut at North and Western and the nasty mobile station at Bloomingdale have construction fencing up and are about to bite it for new developments!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 10:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Exciting news for the Western Ave auto sewer. Both the Pizza Hut at North and Western and the nasty mobile station at Bloomingdale have construction fencing up and are about to bite it for new developments!

via Imgflip Meme Generator

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development