HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I don’t think we’d ever refer to a highway as “the 39” on the Prairies. We used to say “the Number 1 highway” etc., for the major low-numbered highways in Manitoba but generally it was just “Highway 39” or “PTH 39” sometimes, in more official communications, such as government reports and press releases. I don’t know what the practice is in Sask, though.
"Highway 39" would be most common, occasionally just "39". e.g. "How do you go to Minot from Regina?" "I take 33 then 47, then 39 from Estevan which turns into US 52." You will hear "the Ring Road" for our freeway occasionally, but never "the Idylwyld" in Saskatoon (at least, I've never heard it).

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:52 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

So is it 4 lanes or 2+1 on highways 6 & 39 between Regina & Estevan ?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:23 PM

In Manitoba, people use 59 all the time, for hwy 59. Locally some people do use 7 for hwy 7 from where a lot of my family lives.

But it's not like in the states where it's widespread, take the 5 or take the 10.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:29 PM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
So is it 4 lanes or 2+1 on highways 6 & 39 between Regina & Estevan ?
I think 4 lanes are definitely out of the question at this point.

For those of you that wonder what I meant by 2+1, just think alternating passing lanes. (K technically a 2+1 configuration is much fancier than this: it’s got median barriers and possibly even interchanges, on top of alternating passing lanes. Anyway, I should have just said alternating passing lanes right from the start...)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I think 4 lanes are definitely out of the question at this point.

For those of you that wonder what I meant by 2+1, just think alternating passing lanes. (K technically a 2+1 configuration is much fancier than this: it’s got median barriers and possibly even interchanges, on top of alternating passing lanes. Anyway, I should have just said alternating passing lanes right from the start...)
I assume it will be periodic passing lanes like they did on number 10 between Balgonie and Fort Qu'appelle and not a constant 2+1 arrangement. Or should I say The 10.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 8:04 PM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I assume it will be periodic passing lanes like they did on number 10 between Balgonie and Fort Qu'appelle and not a constant 2+1 arrangement.
Okay, still better than nothing. That’s just like Yellowhead then.
Quote:
Or should I say The 10.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan