HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:04 PM

It appears Cineplex has decided to increase their prices by 50 cents a ticket. A year and a half ago or thereabouts the price was 10.99 for general admission. Now it is $12.50 - a 14% increase. Meanwhile Landmark Cinemas Grant Park location is a full dollar cheaper for a superior experience.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 9:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Any reason that the litter strewn homeless encampment on city park land between the Disraeli-Henry and Lily is allowed to stay and accumulate more garbage by the day?

Of course eunuch Bowman and the gutless city council will feign ignorance and if this occurred anywhere in the southern half of the city the transient camp would be gone in a day!
Because we in the south pay more taxes. And we the people of the south have enough issues with your strays roaming our quiet side of the city. We the people of the south would like a wall to seperate us from you the people of the north.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Any reason that the litter strewn homeless encampment on city park land between the Disraeli-Henry and Lily is allowed to stay and accumulate more garbage by the day?
Unfortunately this is what people think of when the term "urban reserve" is mentioned for Winnipeg. Not the buildings at 1075 Portage Ave or the ones on the old Hydro yard on Madison.

When I came home from work at 01:30 one night last week it looked like they had camp fire going as I could see a glow in the area as I drove north on Disraeli.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:45 AM
There is always a way

Edit: never mind
Federalist #10, James Madison

Last edited by optimusREIM; Sep 23, 2019 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Unfortunately this is what people think of when the term "urban reserve" is mentioned for Winnipeg. Not the buildings at 1075 Portage Ave or the ones on the old Hydro yard on Madison.

When I came home from work at 01:30 one night last week it looked like they had camp fire going as I could see a glow in the area as I drove north on Disraeli.
This urban reserve is far different then a small block turned into some offices. This reserve has single and multiple family buildings. That adds the human factor to the equation. Now most of the people will not be an issue. But remember each time some fire or flood forces an evacuation they will probably head to this reserve. With that will come the issues of that said reserve. Just watch the news today. And see what firearms and drugs and other wonderful items were seized on the reserve. It's also one of the reserves who are involved in this urban reserve.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan are not like Alberta and BC and Quebec's urban reserves. Here we have a totally different demographic of first Nations people.

That's the issue with the pity party mentality here in Manitoba. Everyone in the east or west thinks our first Nations reserves are like theirs. When in reality they are the exact opposite except for a few. So when they see the buildings on the reserve and the condition of then, they look at MB as some sewer. But they fail to mention that it wasn't any white, Asian, Muslim , Hindu or others who made them this way. It was the very people who live in them.
So when people have million dollar homes next door to what will either be a disastrous idea or a monumental success. You cannot help but to sympathize with them.

It's not like wealthy First Nations people will be moving into this reserve. Yet it's surrounded by some of the most wealthy area's. And a brand new higher end shopping area.

The issues of the reserves will follow and you'll see security in the outlet mall and IKEA etc.

Building an urban reserve doesn't fix anything. It's a bandaid. Fix the issue right on the reserves. These people need to embrace their heritage that has for the most part been lost. Hence why the young don't care about anything.

First Nations In the east and West have pride in their heritage, they don't use it as a money card or excuse. They fight for the environment, they embrace it. That's what I'd like to see our first Nation people here do. Not complain all the time. Not block highways or streets.
Maybe talk to your Western counterparts and see why they got it right. Oh wait that was tried theirs here don't like the Western ways of doing things.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 5:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
This urban reserve is far different then a small block turned into some offices. This reserve has single and multiple family buildings. That adds the human factor to the equation. Now most of the people will not be an issue. But remember each time some fire or flood forces an evacuation they will probably head to this reserve. With that will come the issues of that said reserve. Just watch the news today. And see what firearms and drugs and other wonderful items were seized on the reserve. It's also one of the reserves who are involved in this urban reserve.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan are not like Alberta and BC and Quebec's urban reserves. Here we have a totally different demographic of first Nations people.

That's the issue with the pity party mentality here in Manitoba. Everyone in the east or west thinks our first Nations reserves are like theirs. When in reality they are the exact opposite except for a few. So when they see the buildings on the reserve and the condition of then, they look at MB as some sewer. But they fail to mention that it wasn't any white, Asian, Muslim , Hindu or others who made them this way. It was the very people who live in them.
So when people have million dollar homes next door to what will either be a disastrous idea or a monumental success. You cannot help but to sympathize with them.

It's not like wealthy First Nations people will be moving into this reserve. Yet it's surrounded by some of the most wealthy area's. And a brand new higher end shopping area.

The issues of the reserves will follow and you'll see security in the outlet mall and IKEA etc.

Building an urban reserve doesn't fix anything. It's a bandaid. Fix the issue right on the reserves. These people need to embrace their heritage that has for the most part been lost. Hence why the young don't care about anything.

First Nations In the east and West have pride in their heritage, they don't use it as a money card or excuse. They fight for the environment, they embrace it. That's what I'd like to see our first Nation people here do. Not complain all the time. Not block highways or streets.
Maybe talk to your Western counterparts and see why they got it right. Oh wait that was tried theirs here don't like the Western ways of doing things.
The whole notion of the reserve system is archaic, everything owned by the band with no individual ownership, those with connections to the chief and council are afforded special privileges and those who don't stay at the bottom almost like an outdated caste system.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:19 PM

The problem is the reserves are extremely remote with small populations. It is nearly impossible to create an economy at those locations. So the government is paying for everything. That will never end.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The problem is the reserves are extremely remote with small populations. It is nearly impossible to create an economy at those locations. So the government is paying for everything. That will never end.
So why continue to fund a system with no hope and no future, those living on First Nations require a hand up and not continual handouts!

The blame game has gone from we were here first and they took our land to residential schools took away our future and is now morphing into CFS took our kids, will it ever end?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 9:43 AM
BANNED

Just to ease the mind of some who believe this is only a Manitoba phenomenon

https://globalnews.ca/video/5947393/...fety-a-concern

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lcbo-1.5069842

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 12:49 PM

^It's funny that the Ontario Union wants LCBO to emulate the Manitoba strategy. But it shows that this is not a Winnipeg thing.
I was at the Madison Square LC this Friday, and it was all locked down like a police state. Only one door (the exit) was unlocked (manned by a security guard) and there was a WPS Cop standing guard in the vestibule with a second private security guard. Never seen anything like it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^It's funny that the Ontario Union wants LCBO to emulate the Manitoba strategy. But it shows that this is not a Winnipeg thing.
I was at the Madison Square LC this Friday, and it was all locked down like a police state. Only one door (the exit) was unlocked (manned by a security guard) and there was a WPS Cop standing guard in the vestibule with a second private security guard. Never seen anything like it.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have everyone submit their drivers license or other photo ID to a scanner upon entering like some bars do? Way more cost effective.

And on what planet would any retail outlet allow anyone to come into the retail space with a duffle bag?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 10:58 PM
BANNED

someone decided to tear out the two clusters of trees on either side of the embarassing queen's statue out front of the legislature... some were damaged by the storm but I didn't see any that were dead. mix of oak, cedar, manitoba maple... guessing the province didn't like this site as an Indigenous protest spot so this was their solution. terrible

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:05 AM
BANNED

What is embarrasing about the statue?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:30 PM

I agree it’s time to take Winnipeg back! So that means addressing all of the poverty issues and years of neglect from our federal government to help support the indigenous people’s so they can thrive once again. This is where our future lies. We need to start with the reserves. Proper access to education, healthcare, and extra resources for job and skills training as well as addictions. So often it’s the hopeless from the reserves who end up in Winnipeg with no job skills, no training, they do what they have always done, rely on the system. We need to educate everyone about indigenous culture and issues. It is a beautiful culture, rich in history, art, music, and dance, but it has been utterly destroyed. Winnipeg should be a beacon for indigenous peoples across Turtle Island, but it is not. It is heartbreaking the challenges that indigenous families face in this country. For the majority of indigenous people, suicides, stabbings, murders, missing family members, are just the norm, it’s just part of life. We cannot let this continue. The longer we stay idle, the worse it will get, more people will die. Let’s fix it! Let’s try to right the wrongs.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 6:29 PM

This is a federal issue, the treaty, Indian Act and reserve system needs to be changed. Their governance system needs to be updated to mirror the rest of the country. A tax system similar to the provinces needs to be adopted by the reserves to boost incomes similar to what the provinces do now to enable them to fund the physical and social infrastructure they need.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Because he's Aboriginal and hates anything that promotes any ties to the Queen. Hence why he wanted the trees left to hide it and they could continue their protests.

He forgets to always mention that the 3 biggest gangs in this city and province are Aboriginal. And most of the 40 murders so far are gang related and Aboriginal.
But he will as usual say it was our fault for the gangs.

Sorry I'm sick and tired of protests for money when we all should be protesting about these gangs and the crime rate. And point the finger directly where it belongs.

He will reply with his typical lengthy blah blah blah reply. Just wait. Then he will pull the racist card etc.

It's time to take Winnipeg back!!!!
You can't just go be racist AF and then cry about people playing the "race card". That's what they're going to do if you're being racist lol. There are reasons for high crime rates among Indigenous people. It's not like it's a Winnipeg-only situation where you have a very poor visible minority that struggles with these issues - it's the same root causes that are behind high crime rates among blacks in the southern US, or Hispanics in California, or Turks in Germany, etc.... do you think maybe socio-economic status has something to do with it, or do you think it just so happens that all those groups are inherently inferior and violent? Because news flash, if you think the latter, you're racist.

Crime is almost always related to poverty and social marginalization so you've really just proven headhorse's point. There are many indigenous gangs because by and large indigenous people in this country have a 3rd-world standard of living, which is why they're protesting.

Last edited by EdwardTH; Nov 6, 2019 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:23 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

A woman wrote a letter to the editor of the Free Press that was published November 2, 2019.

She said that she and her husband and friends have for years purchased seasons tickets to the WSO, RMTC, Ballet, Opera, etc...

Said that due to security concerns (their car was broken into) that unless downtown becomes more safe that she, her husband and friends will cancel their season tickets.

If enough "good natured" people do this, our downtown is done. Finished.

It's too bad all the good things that downtown is doing could be ruined by the criminal element. I think esquire wrote something similar about a year ago.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/op...564270922.html

Improve downtown security

As a longtime subscriber to MTC, Warehouse, PTE, WSO, the Fringe Festival and, occasionally, opera and ballet, I have enjoyed many arts events in Winnipeg. Even before my vehicle was recently broken into in the well-lit parking lot north of the Planetarium entrance, however, I had reservations about going to the theatre district at night (lately, during the day as well).

While I am aware that the police and the city are dealing constantly with serious, deep-rooted problems which they have publicly stated go far beyond policing issues, I feel that security can and must be improved downtown. Patrolling security vehicles must be regularly employed in and around the theatre district at night, as is the norm in many other major cities. The arts, restaurants, transportation and parking services, as well as the community at large, will very quickly lose a supportive presence and a relatively secure economic health if the present situation does not change. The biggest loss might be the absence of people, other than those working during the day in the area.
Surely the many arts groups invested in the area, with the help of the police, the City of Winnipeg and organizations like the Downtown BIZ, can implement effective security measures for their patrons.

The city has made a concerted, strategic effort to sell Winnipeggers on the idea that it has much to offer in the arts, sports and culture, yet many people I know avoid the Main Street and Portage Avenue area because of safety concerns. This problem will not go away.
I, for one, do not intend to attend any events in the area in the future unless reasonable measures are taken to ensure the safety of not just seniors, but all Winnipeggers who wish to have our faith in our city restored and to contribute to its robust health

Loretta Basiuk
Winnipeg

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
A woman wrote a letter to the editor of the Free Press that was published November 2, 2019.

She said that she and her husband and friends have for years purchased seasons tickets to the WSO, RMTC, Ballet, Opera, etc...

Said that due to security concerns (their car was broken into) that unless downtown becomes more safe that she, her husband and friends will cancel their season tickets.

If enough "good natured" people do this, our downtown is done. Finished.

It's too bad all the good things that downtown is doing could be ruined by the criminal element. I think esquire wrote something similar about a year ago.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/op...564270922.html

Improve downtown security

As a longtime subscriber to MTC, Warehouse, PTE, WSO, the Fringe Festival and, occasionally, opera and ballet, I have enjoyed many arts events in Winnipeg. Even before my vehicle was recently broken into in the well-lit parking lot north of the Planetarium entrance, however, I had reservations about going to the theatre district at night (lately, during the day as well).

While I am aware that the police and the city are dealing constantly with serious, deep-rooted problems which they have publicly stated go far beyond policing issues, I feel that security can and must be improved downtown. Patrolling security vehicles must be regularly employed in and around the theatre district at night, as is the norm in many other major cities. The arts, restaurants, transportation and parking services, as well as the community at large, will very quickly lose a supportive presence and a relatively secure economic health if the present situation does not change. The biggest loss might be the absence of people, other than those working during the day in the area.
Surely the many arts groups invested in the area, with the help of the police, the City of Winnipeg and organizations like the Downtown BIZ, can implement effective security measures for their patrons.

The city has made a concerted, strategic effort to sell Winnipeggers on the idea that it has much to offer in the arts, sports and culture, yet many people I know avoid the Main Street and Portage Avenue area because of safety concerns. This problem will not go away.
I, for one, do not intend to attend any events in the area in the future unless reasonable measures are taken to ensure the safety of not just seniors, but all Winnipeggers who wish to have our faith in our city restored and to contribute to its robust health

Loretta Basiuk
Winnipeg
Ha some pearl-clutching old lady got her car broken into, good Lord the humanity no one is safe!!! Hide yo wife hide yo kids we got minor property crimes up in here!!!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Ha some pearl-clutching old lady got her car broken into, good Lord the humanity no one is safe!!! Hide yo wife hide yo kids we got minor property crimes up in here!!!
Laugh if you must but things like that chip away at the area's reputation.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:51 PM
BANNED

someone should tell her that her car won’t get broken into if she takes the bus

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan