HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
On another note, the building on Google Earth in the link below is on the location of the Continental Hotel residences. It looks historic and certainly worthy of preserving its facade. Does anyone know the details of that?

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4251...7i13312!8i6656
Agreed. It reminds me of the building at 617 N. St, Mary's, which is very beautiful! Does anyone know anything about that structure? I don't even know the next of it. Relatedly, any news regarding the building next door, the one that was undergoing extensive redevelopment? The one that had its exterior covered (and now thankly removed) in the horrendous 60s sheet mental.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 7:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

Penner's across the street looks like it got transplanted from a beach town. I love it!

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Penner's across the street looks like it got transplanted from a beach town. I love it!

This is one of the many areas I spoke of in another thread that is heavily under construction. It's a mess right now, down to one street.

And yeah, that building (penner's) doesn't go. It's ugly. And, as stated many times, I dislike Palm [plants on steroids] "trees".

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 9:59 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
This is one of the many areas I spoke of in another thread that is heavily under construction. It's a mess right now, down to one street.

And yeah, that building (penner's) doesn't go. It's ugly. And, as stated many times, I dislike Palm [plants on steroids] "trees".
Preach. They do terribly in this climate and usually look pretty gross and decrepit by the time they've had a few hard freezes. Imagine going through all trouble of purchasing and planting a tree... but it doesn't give you any shade!

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:09 PM
Paradise

That downtown plan looks great.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:27 PM

San Pedro creek work, with Penner’s on the left, Commerce Street bridge, and the Continental Hotel building on the right.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:42 AM
James

UTSA downtown expansion now hinges on hunt for more funding
By W. Scott Bailey – Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Feb 3, 2020, 12:06pm CST

University of Texas at San Antonio president Taylor Eighmy will have to make another pitch to state officials for funding to support his vision for the school's downtown campus expansion.

After securing land from the city of San Antonio east of Interstate 35, the priority now for UTSA is to close on roughly two acres owned by Bexar County tucked between the former city lots.

“We want to buy that property,” Eighmy said.

The property is between Dolorosa and Nueva streets. An aging jail sits on part of the acreage, which Bexar County Commissioners agreed on Jan. 28 to sell to UTSA for $5.7 million. The plan is to build a 250,000-square-foot structure on the county site that would serve as a new home for UTSA’s College of Business, according to Eighmy. UTSA requested $126 million to cover design and construction costs for the project, but the Texas Legislature did not act on the request during its last session.

University officials will try and make their case for funding during the 2021 legislative session, which means UTSA may have to make a deal for the property before securing the larger funding.

Separately, UTSA is advancing plans to develop the two city parcels, and work on that land will likely kickstart the downtown expansion.

“We expect the first brick and mortar project to be our School of Data Science and the National Security Collaboration Center,” Eighmy said.

That building is earmarked for the former city lot east of the county property.

“We have (a request for qualifications) on the street right now to get us closer to selecting the design build team for the project,” Eighmy said. “We expect occupancy of this building in late 2022.”

Roughly 16 months ago, UTSA was preparing to recruit developers interested in submitting proposals for its two-acre site near Cattleman Square west of Interstate 35. At the time, Eighmy envisioned a multistory tower that would house a mix of residential, academic and retail space.

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff believes a land deal with UTSA will have a far-reaching impact, replacing an eyesore with new construction that might entice more development.

“It’s critical we get the deal done. I think we will,” he said. “That whole area will take on a new look.”

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 10:29 PM

Regents approve acquisition of land for Downtown Campus expansion

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadsalmon View Post
That article has a link to another page which includes some nice renderings of plans for both campuses that I hadn't seen before.

http://www.utsa.edu/sombrilla/som082...asterplan.html

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 3:05 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
That article has a link to another page which includes some nice renderings of plans for both campuses that I hadn't seen before.

Those are awesome visuals. The plans are pretty serious. The campuses look like they'll be really nice. It's hard to get a good sense of the actual buildings, but generally the whole campus designs look great.

It's smart to put the basketball courts of the downtown campus next to the Buena Vista Street bridge.

I also looooove that they stuck some streetcars on the train tracks. Maybe they'll make a push to get that to actually happen. They're doing exactly that in Boston by extending the Green Line streetcar line out to Tufts University. It wraps through downtown and out by Fenway Park and BU. Students like transit. This could be good. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 3:28 AM

And here's a 32 page pdf I found of the downtown campus master plan.

http://www.utsa.edu/masterplan/docum...own-campus.pdf

This is a different file than the one on page 3 of this thread, with more detail.

Last edited by Spoiler; Feb 28, 2020 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:

Y'all have a GREAT Friday and a GREAT weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 3:34 AM
MBottz1001

It would be good to see the O' Henry house/museum integrated into this newly developing campus block. Looks like there may be a nice little tree lined path from the O'Henry museum to San Pedro Creek and then on the other side of the creek would be the Spanish Governor's Palace. Would make for a pleasant cultural/historical little stretch along Dolorosa.

Last edited by MABottz; Mar 5, 2020 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 10:34 AM

Wow, those visuals look great! Hopefully, they will stick to this. Fingers crossed.

Quote:

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Mar 3, 2020 at 7:45 PM. Reason: Spam

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamemiller View Post
Wow, those visuals look great! Hopefully, they will stick to this. Fingers crossed.
Uh, your quote of my post does not contain my link, but this:

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Mar 3, 2020 at 7:45 PM. Reason: Removed spam link

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:15 AM

San Antonio Business Journal-
UTSA taps design team for $90M downtown expansion 

The University of Texas at San Antonio awarded the building design services contract for its new School of Data Science and National Security Collaboration Center to Whiting-Turner|Jacobs|Overland, putting it another step closer to constructing a major anchor structure for its planned downtown campus expansion.

The $90 million facility, slated to open in 2022 near San Pedro Creek, will house the School of Data Science and National Security Collaboration Center and serve as the hub for UTSA's data intelligence and cybersecurity programs. The expansion will support UTSA's effort to be recognized as a research intense institution and is a critical component of the university's multicampus master plan.

“The School of Data Science will be the first of its kind in Texas and, combined with the power of the National Security Collaboration Center, will be a formidable leader in addressing national security challenges,” UTSA President Taylor Eighmy said. 

Weston Urban co-founder and Chairman Graham Weston contributed $15 million toward the downtown campus expansion. It's that gift— along with support from the University of Texas Board of Regents, the city of San Antonio and Bexar County — that's allowed the project to proceed., Eighmy said.

“This project will set UTSA and San Antonio apart as pioneers in data science and cybersecurity, while providing innovative solutions for government and industry,” Eighmy said.

Whiting-Turner|Jacobs|Overland was one of three top teams evaluated for the design contract. The facility will have 138,000 square feet of classroom, laboratory and research space. It will bring UTSA’s 70-plus faculty members in cybersecurity, cloud computing, data and analytics, and artificial intelligence under one roof downtown.

The School of Data Science will become the home to UTSA’s departments of computer science, computer engineering, statistics and data sciences, information systems and C\cyber security. It will also house the UTSA Open Cloud Institute.

The new facility will house space, laboratories and research facilities for the National Security Collaboration Center.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 6:28 PM

This is exactly the catalyst we needed to make this area the next "boom area"!!!
And with Weston now owning the old Continental Hotel......

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 1:30 AM

They're tearing down the prison.
https://sanantonioreport.org/watch-d...own-expansion/
Other news: construction on the adjacent lot scheduled to start in six weeks.
Be sure to watch the video for a bird's-eye view of San Pedro creek progress and a glimpse of the federal courthouse.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 6:57 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...Pos=4#cxrecs_s
Quote:
The roughly 167,000-square-foot building along Dolorosa Street east of Interstate 35 will anchor a larger expansion of the university’s downtown campus and is expected to draw more private-sector investment.

“We have just wrapped up the design development,” said Corrina Green, director of major capital projects and real estate for UTSA.

UTSA officials expect to receive design development approval from the UT System Board of Regents by mid-November and begin construction by mid-December with a July 2022 completion date.

The new building is also expected to draw more attention to a reimagined San Pedro Creek. The center will house a ground-level café, as well as a large multipurpose space that will be used by students and partner tenants and could be made available for community events.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 3:33 AM

Fantastic render. Great project for downtown!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio