HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 11:47 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I like to watch The Rockets better because they are known for having good teamwork and strong assists, that's why I like to watch their games better because the players know how to feed off of each other and follow each others moves. They're very organized, they just don't have the best point makers outside of the top two. It's great entertainment to watch them feed off of each other.
No offense whatsoever, are you from another country? Your grammar and use of words (point makers?) stand out as someone from another country speaking in broken english/using terms from their countrys main sport. As for what you said, the Spurs are the epitome of team basketball. They lead the NBA in assists per game. If that doesn't tell you how much a team they are, I don't know what does.

Quote:
I said the Spurs "Use the most basic plays", and that's in agreement with your assessment.
Motion offense isn't a basic play. Could you please define what you think a basic play is, because the motion offense the Spurs use is anything buy basic.

Quote:
The Spurs are known as a slow team, that's why they decided to hire Micheal Finley. They hired him because they knew what they needed was an energetic player and that's what they needed.
Michael Finley isn't an energetic player, they signed him because he was released from his contract and is a great outside shooter. Michael Finley would not solve any "slowness" of any team, the guy is 34 years old playing with a bad back and bad knees. The Spurs are anything but slow, just look at this years playoffs, out of the 16 teams who made the playoffs, they are currently 5th in points per game at 98 points a game. Who is dead last? Houston at 87 points per game. Cleveland who we are facing in the finals, 10th at 91 points a game.

No offense, do you watch any basketball whatsoever? I say that simply because of the strange terminology you've used so far in your posts as well as calling Michael Finley energetic. It makes me think you are either from another country trying to adapt to the sport or are someone who rarely watches the NBA and is now trying to engage in a discussion about the NBA.

Quote:
You have no right to claim that I have a Houston bias, I said that I watched the Spurs when I first moved here and was open to becoming a fan, but then I decided that I didn't like the team because of their basic "run across and shoot" plays, just like what you described.
Could you explain to me what "plays" the Rockets run during a game that is different from anything 90% of the league runs as well.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jun 6, 2007 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:57 AM

Boring? Cheaters? Dirty?

If the Spurs are all of the above mentioned, why do other organizations try to emulate them: Dallas, Seattle, Cleveland, Phoenix? Every one of these organizations has hired a Gregg Popovich pupil or front office executive with hopes of transforming their teams into, hold your breathe, here it goes...the San Antonio Spurs!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:40 AM
Houston:Considered Good

I will tell you right now buddy...don't you dare insult me personally.

I don't appreciate several paragraphs of angry banter on frivolous issues. No, I'm not from another country but what if I was? Would that have been right for you to insult? Do you have a problem with people from another country? Or maybe you just don't like people without perfect english? Now, I don't take the forum nearly as seriously as you and I don't want to organize a scholarly essay every time I type just because it is your preference.
So back off.

As for the teams, maybe I'm talking about something that isn't contained in the "play". I'm talking about how well the teams players work together. The Spurs motion play is simple in that regard. I have every right to prefer a different style of which I think is more entertaining because it puts a greater emphasis on teamwork which is a good quality. You have no right to argue a preference of which is my own.

Now from post #38 on, there was nothing but aggression in this conversation and I fully believe that I don't want to continue it because I don't even have a great passion on the issue which necessitates arguing an irrelevant topic.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:51 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

not gonna lie Double L....you should probably stop while your ahead.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:33 AM
Houston:Considered Good

As, I said, it is a non-debateable topic and is frivolous to argue.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I don't appreciate several paragraphs of angry banter on frivolous issues. No, I'm not from another country but what if I was? Would that have been right for you to insult? Do you have a problem with people from another country? Or maybe you just don't like people without perfect english? Now, I don't take the forum nearly as seriously as you and I don't want to organize a scholarly essay every time I type just because it is your preference.
So back off.
I never meant it as an insult, if I remember correctly I said "no offense" meaning I wasn't trying to insult you. It was a serious question because of the terms you used in describing the NBA. Terms I've never heard before.

Quote:
As for the teams, maybe I'm talking about something that isn't contained in the "play". I'm talking about how well the teams players work together. The Spurs motion play is simple in that regard. I have every right to prefer a different style of which I think is more entertaining because it puts a greater emphasis on teamwork which is a good quality. You have no right to argue a preference of which is my own.
I am not arguing your preference, I am simply correcting your incorrect portrayal of how the Spurs play basketball, their style. Which is why I asked if you've ever watched the NBA before because what you were saying wasn't anywhere near the truth.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:45 PM

Let the finals begin!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:47 PM

What an awesome picture! I'll be rooting for my Spurs here in Phoenix!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:47 PM

FYI, for the height lovers here that trophy is 40 feet high.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 8:30 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
FYI, for the height lovers here that trophy is 40 feet high.
kevin - can you add the trophy to emporis?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:16 AM
Meh

Sports.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:18 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
kevin - can you add the trophy to emporis?
Emporis has a height limit of what can be added. 65 feet is the limit.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:25 AM

They're up at the half.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 6:20 AM

1 Down!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 8:56 PM

The Spurs are going to be forced to get contributions from someone other than the Big 3 if they are to win tonight. I fully expect the Cavs to limit any fast break opportunities as well as second chance points. They're not going to be as shell-shocked as they were in Game 1. If Michael Finley shows up today, Spurs are going up 2-0. Expect Finley, Barry, Ginobili and Bowen to get open 3's tonight since Tim Duncan owns Cleveland's backcourt. My prediction, Spurs +5. GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 3:42 AM

Cavs almost won that one. Spurs are up 2-0 now, but I think the Cavs will win at home and even up the series.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 4:10 AM

Have you been watching the games, Trae? The only way the Cavs will win at home is if the Spurs shut down offensively, which is the reason the Cavs came back. Spurs in 5.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 4:12 AM

Nah, Spurs in 4 buddy.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Cavs almost won that one.
Actually, they didn't.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Actually, they didn't.
Yeah, I would call turning a 27 point deficit, into an 8 point deficit (should have been six, but Parker's traveling basket was called anyway), a close one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio