HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 5:27 PM

^^^Yeah, I'll bring it someday next week to try to get some updated pics of things.

I also stumbled across this SmugMug site featuring photos of 1500 Owens...the person obviously is involved with the project, as they have photos from on-site as well as what appears to be the fabrication plant for the exterior panels.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 5:32 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Look forward to it! The rendering for 1500 Owens certainly looks promising.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
First Appeared Monday, 19 May '08
UCSF Presents Designs for Medical Center at Mission Bay

UCSF is one step closer to realizing its vision to create a state-of-the-art and environmentally sustainable medical center at Mission Bay after UC Regents reviewed preliminary exterior design plans at their meeting at UCLA on May 13.

UCSF Medical Center officials presented the architectural designs for the proposed hospital complex at Mission Bay — to be located on 14.5 acres adjacent to the existing 43-acre campus — to the members of the Regents’ Committee on Grounds and Buildings. The Regents reacted favorably to the design.

Construction of the 289-bed, integrated hospital complex to serve children, women and cancer patients at Mission Bay will allow UCSF to fulfill three major goals:
• to comply with California seismic law for inpatient facilities;
• to grow inpatient and outpatient capacity at all clinical locations; and
• to realize its long-term vision to develop a second, major integrated clinical and research campus.

Upon completion of the first phase in 2014, the 869,000-gross-square-foot medical center would include a 183-bed children’s hospital, a 70-bed cancer hospital for adult patients, a specialty women’s hospital with a 36-bed birth center, ambulatory care services, central utilities plant, 500-plus parking spaces and support facilities.

“Our architectural vision is to create timeless and transformative buildings, which express unique identities for children, women and cancer patients and operate efficiently as one,” said Cindy Lima, executive director of administration and project director for the Mission Bay hospital.

“’Transformative’ describes a design that not only contributes to new ways of advancing health, such as translational research and patient safety, but also contributes to healing through connections to nature and sustainability.”

Design Features

Lima noted that the exterior designs for the medical center are the result of extensive collaboration among physicians, staff, community members, city agencies, patient families, architects and others.

The design for the hospital complex is consistent with the design of the existing research buildings at UCSF Mission Bay, using warm-tone exterior materials, repetition of punched windows, green-hued glass and light-filled atriums.

“Departing from the grid-like layout of the campus, the medical center buildings are interconnected for the benefit of clinical operations and the convenience of patients,” Lima said.

This plan for the proposed medical center at Mission Bay shows the four major building elements: the 621,000-gross-square-foot hospital, which comprises about half of the site to the south, the 148,000-gross-square-foot outpatient facility on the west, the future cancer outpatient building at the north and the 34,000-square-foot energy center.

Other features of the hospital complex design include rooftop gardens, a landscaped pedestrian walkway and the signature cube-shaped children’s hospital, composed of glass, twisted slightly from its building frame to evoke a sense of movement.

Called the “signature building,” the cube-shaped children’s hospital, comprised of glass, twists slightly from its building frame. Color will be amplified through the use of prismatic glass elements.

“The children’s hospital, as the iconic symbol of the medical campus, seeks to express sophisticated whimsy and positively engage children,” Lima said.

The entrance of the hospitals for women and cancer patients is marked by a glass-filled, six-story structure framed by stone panels. As will all west-facing facades, solar shading will reduce heat gain and improve mechanical efficiency.

Designs for the women’s and cancer hospitals entrance also is based on light and transparency with a glass-filled, six-story structure framed by stone panels. Three double-story sky-lit lobbies will be visible from the outside and will allow those inside to connect with nature.

The Third Street plaza entrance, to be located between the two hospital towers, will provide public space for gathering, outdoor dining and convenient access to a busy transit corridor. The Third Street entrance also will link directly to the public zone along Fourth Street through a public corridor.

A 34,500-square-foot energy center, to be located on Third Street shielding an open service yard from public view, is designed to be engaging. Its two-story window will tilt out toward the street, revealing the indoor equipment and operations to passersby. “There, we hope to display real-time metrics reflecting our energy conservation,” Lima noted. The configuration of the medical center responds to the urban setting and to community input by locating high-volume outpatient facilities to the north, away from the neighborhood. The hospitals will be built to the south, across from a public park. And the proposed helipad will be located at the north end of the site, minimizing the impact of noise on the neighborhood, Lima explained.

Experienced Team

In his introductory remarks to the Regents on May 13, Mark Laret, chief executive officer of UCSF Medical Center, talked about the team assembled for this ambitious project.

“After an exhaustive selection process, we hired Anshen+Allen architects, the largest architectural firm dedicated to health care in the world,” Laret said. “They have partnered with William McDonough+Partners, known worldwide for its leadership and expertise in sustainability.”

The energy center or central utilities plan on Third Street will feature a two-story window that tilts outward toward the street, revealing the interior and operations.

The Mission Bay medical center will incorporate and integrate the best green practices into the design, construction, operations and purchasing strategies. The target for construction is to achieve the gold rating by the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
The experienced project team also includes seasoned construction project managers, a respected veteran of the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development and a construction management firm, as adviser, Laret said.

“Our team has focused learning from the experiences of other hospital projects, including those in the UC system, in order to do everything possible to minimize the unexpected, control costs and deliver a high-quality project on time,” he added.

At UCSF, that team includes Lima, who has 21 years of experience at UCSF Medical Center, both as a hospital administrator and director of facilities planning and project management, and Stuart Eckblad, director of design and construction. He is a licensed architect with more than 30 years’ experience in the planning, design and construction of new hospitals and outpatient facilities.

Laret also requested and received Regental approval of an augmentation of $9 million for preliminary plan funding. “Recognizing the magnitude of this project at a time of unprecedented health care construction cost, we are being extremely careful to engage the most competent resources,” he said. UCSF Medical Center officials are expected to return to the Regents in September to request approval of the budget and design for the project.

They also will seek California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) approval for the Mission Bay medical complex in September. CEQA is a statute that requires state and local agencies to identify the significant environmental impacts of their actions and to avoid or mitigate those impacts, if feasible.
Mission Bay Medical Center Town Hall Meetings< Hear about the progress UCSF is making toward creating a new medical center at Mission Bay during town hall meetings to be held from noon to 1 p.m. on Thursday, May 22, at Mount Zion’s Herbst Hall and Friday, May 23, at Cole Hall on the Parnassus campus.
Source: http://pub.ucsf.edu/today/print.php?news_id=200805161

These appear to be the same renderings that WildCowboy posted in March ( http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=128118&page=9 ) although the "Future Parking Structure" has moved and become the "Parking Structure" and there are a few other changes in the site plan.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 6:59 PM

As a trade for the parking garage, the cancer outpatient building has now become a "future cancer outpatient building." My impression was that it was supposed to be part of the initial construction, but it now looks like they're putting it off for a bit, although I assume it will follow soon after.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:17 AM
Only Mostly Dead

WildCowboy - I could see a piledriver on the plot of land between Third and 500 Terry Francois today (at least I think it was 500 TF). Is this Alexandria's North Campus that you mentioned on the previous page? Can you tell if they're testing or starting full-on pile driving?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:28 PM

I was by there both yesterday and today, and there is no piledriver in the location you're talking about. But you are correct that the location you describe is Alexandria's "North Campus," where the two-building complex at 455 Mission Bay Blvd South will be their first project (aside from the parking garage currently under construction one block south of there).

Test piles have already been driven for this project, and my understanding is that bids for the actual construction were due yesterday. So the next time you see activity there, it should be the real deal.

My guess is that the piledriver you saw is the one for UCSF's cardiovascular research building. This is west of Third Street (and just west of UCSF's Diller Building). The piledriver has been there for about two months and has completed test piles, but there hasn't been any pile activity for a couple of weeks now.

There's a good shot of the piledriver in UCSF's Diller Building webcam. You can easily see the western façade of the Diller Building and much of the cardiovascular research building's footprint, as well as the giant hole for utility/pipeline work in Nelson Rising Lane in the bottom right corner of the image. I've been told that the cardiovascular research building will have a dedicated webcam once full construction starts.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:37 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Yep, that's what I saw. Hard to tell exactly where it was from the freeway. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:22 PM

A second piledriver for UCSF's cardiovascular research building has arrived on site, as you can see in this attached webcam shot. More scaffolding has also been removed from the Diller Building, and they continue to fill in the former hoist gap with travertine panels.

Also, barely visible at the left edge of the shot running parallel to some of the piles you can see the curbs for the block of Mission Bay Blvd S between Third Fourth...those have been poured in the last couple of days.

Not too much else new around here. The hoist has come down on 409 Illinois, the parking garage at 450 South is working on the second level in places, they're fireproofing on 1500 Owens, and there's site prep going on for 1600 Owens and the nearby parking garage. Oh, and façade panels are going up on 555 Mission Rock.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 9:56 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update WildCowboy!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:45 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Hey WildCowboy, what do you think of the glazing test they have up over by the freeway? I'm not sure exactly which building it is: lot 14 or 15a perhaps? I was curious if you've had a close look.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:17 PM

That's a mockup for the 1500 Owens façade...it's been there for a while. They're currently doing fireproofing on the structure, so we could see the real thing going up pretty soon.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 7:02 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I posted this in the main rundown thread, but really should have posted it here instead. I somehow wasn't thinking about this thread at the time. Sorry for the double post.

Arterra is getting closer to completion on the outside:

Its Arquitectonica-designed neighbor:

I forget the name. Is it another Avalon property? I'm pretty sure it begins with an A like everything else (Avalon, Arterra, Argenta...I keep mixing up the names).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post

I forget the name. Is it another Avalon property? I'm pretty sure it begins with an A like everything else (Avalon, Arterra, Argenta...I keep mixing up the names).

I'm laughing because Avalon is the last outfit I'd think of hiring a starchitect. They are a REIT that pinches pennies like almost no other (and consequently makes money like few others)--plus as far as I know, they only do rental properties. That's their business: owning and managing upscale rental apartments.

Lots of nice photos, though. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 4:00 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Not knowing these things, I'll make some funny assumptions at times.

Arquitectonica's website just calls it Mission Bay Residential Block, which is very catchy. However, it does say it will be mostly rental apartments with some townhouses. Hmmmm. Some nice renderings on there by the way. I'd post them here but they're all in Flash.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 5:45 PM

Yes, it's Phase III of the Avalon Bay rentals units, and yes, it's an Arquitectonica project. But no, Avalon Bay didn't hire Arquitectonica.

It was originally designed as a condo project for Signature Properties, but they sold everything to Avalon, who wisely chose to keep the design.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Yes, it's Phase III of the Avalon Bay rentals units, and yes, it's an Arquitectonica project. But no, Avalon Bay didn't hire Arquitectonica.

It was originally designed as a condo project for Signature Properties, but they sold everything to Avalon, who wisely chose to keep the design.
Like I said, they are a sharp bunch. Bet they got a great deal.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 7:09 PM

Stopped by Mission Bay today for the first time in over a week...been preoccupied by the birth of my son last Saturday.

Anyway, the orangey-brown panels are going up on the south façade of 1500 Owens. They're a bit brighter than I thought they'd be, but I like it. Will try to get some pics next week if no one else stops by first.

Looks like they're getting ready to pour the curbs for the Owens Street extension that will lead past 1500.

And according to this Business Times article, the identity of that "institutional anchor" that is taking 40,000+ sf at 1500 Owens...it's UCSF's Orthopedics Institute. I had heard that they were shopping around for space for it, and I think they found a good spot for it. Close to the campus and future hospital and part of the private biotech hub surrounding the place. Should be welcome news to neighbors who have been concerned about UCSF and related entities creeping into the surrounding residential neighborhoods (primarily Dogpatch and Potrero).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 9:07 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Congratulations WildCowboy!!! That's fantastic! Is he your first?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 6:06 AM

Thanks...yep, our first. Everything is going well and we're starting to catch up on sleep a bit.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 6:17 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Yeah, you have to get it when you can. Glad to hear he's already giving you decent stretches of sleep. Welcome to fatherhood!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development