HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 9:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I don't really see the point of the scale down per committee comments. I mean there isn't much of a difference. Maybe to scale it is but seems trivial IMO.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Looks like a new structure on silts sitting above the old structure. That's what I see anyway.
Yep I think you’re right. It’s an addition.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 3:58 AM

Yes, it's a new building on stilts above the current building. There's more info in the two 609 Davis St. backup files.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:45 PM

Mini update to parking changes that we could see in the land use redo:

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:57 PM

Do you guys think we'll get a 1000+ ft highrise in Austin anytime soon?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
post office lot is begging for it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
post office lot is begging for it.
A 1,000 footer at the post office would block 6xguad from being seen from the south, but I'd be totally okay with that if it's a standout signature tower! (6x is, though tall, pretty blah)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 9:18 PM

It's funny how egregiously undeveloped the PO block is after you follow development in this city for a while. It boggles the mind, TBH. Just like all the undeveloped WCG parcels have an explanation (and probably an even better one when the FBI investigation goes public), the PO block has to have an explanation, too. Wish I knew what it was . . .

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Or even yet...what would it take to get a 1000' tower built in Austin besides A: deep, DEEP pockets, B: nowhere to go but up, C: a 200 foot spire. I kind of knew about 6X happening or that at least a really tall tower was planned a few years ago, but it still surprised me, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if we get a 1000 footer, but I wouldn't make a bet on it happening.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Or even yet...what would it take to get a 1000' tower built in Austin besides A: deep, DEEP pockets, B: nowhere to go but up, C: a 200 foot spire. I kind of knew about 6X happening or that at least a really tall tower was planned a few years ago, but it still surprised me, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if we get a 1000 footer, but I wouldn't make a bet on it happening.
6X would only need a 160' spire... wonder if the FAA would allow it.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer, but they better get started on 6X before the next recession. Construction activity downtown is reaching an almost frenzied level. Once underway, buildings usually get completed.

Last edited by austlar1; Sep 6, 2019 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 6:28 PM

The Shoal Creek Conservancy is planning to rehab the old trestle bridge, according to Curbed. https://austin.curbed.com/2019/9/12/...wn-shoal-creek

Quote:
Focused on an area from West Avenue to around West Second Street, the project includes the creation of a new plaza, an improved bike and pedestrian pathway, and visitor information and signage at an abandoned trestle bridge—that starts at Third (formerly Cypress) Street where it meets the creek and runs parallel to the pedestrian bridge at that spot. Built around 1925, the timber bridge replaced an earlier one, built in 1876, and was part of the International & Great Northern Railroad system.

The conservancy’s vision includes rehabbing the bridge and repurposing it into a more structurally sound observation area with a plaza and seating, helping “people feel more connected over the water and to downtown,” said Ivey Kaiser, Shoal Creek Conservancy’s executive director. She added that the area could become a relaxing lunch and break spot for employees of Facebook and other businesses in the area.

The conservancy has been quietly partnering with companies involved with the area’s development, and one would expect no less from the area’s newest tenant, Facebook. The two have indeed partnered for the Cypress and Shoal project—a relationship kicked off by a major cleanup of that area of the creek by Facebook’s staff, families, and friends Saturday.

Also, this picture stood out to me. Such a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 3:23 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Looks like there is an issue with that entertainment fun center on W.6th. Work halted months ago and it's just been sitting there with no indication anything has happened since.

Another project that's been halted and hasn't been discussed here is the VMU on South First.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Looks like there is an issue with that entertainment fun center on W.6th. Work halted months ago and it's just been sitting there with no indication anything has happened since.

Another project that's been halted and hasn't been discussed here is the VMU on South First.
It is apparently changing from the Goodnight to a Bull and Bowl.

https://communityimpact.com/guides/a...entral-austin/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 5:24 PM
Resident Moron

That tresstle bridge being rehabbed is a real win for downtown. It's gorgeous and an eye-sore all at once right now.

With the hotels and bars/restaraunts opening in the area it's going to be great to get better pedestrian connections over shoal creek.

Hopefully the state garage/cooling plant can go away quickly if/when the Republic gets going.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer, but they better get started on 6X before the next recession. Construction activity downtown is reaching an almost frenzied level. Once underway, buildings usually get completed.
Austin was largely insulated from the last recession and that will likely be the case in the coming one.

government and and universities don't slump

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Austin was largely insulated from the last recession and that will likely be the case in the coming one.

government and and universities don't slump
You’re right, but tech is SUPER slumpy. It’ll be interesting to see which one wins in the next downturn.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
You’re right, but tech is SUPER slumpy. It’ll be interesting to see which one wins in the next downturn.
Yes, but aren't most of the big tech companies expanding in Austin flush with cash just now? Our market will follow the job growth rate, which shows no sign of slowing for the next 3 year or so. They yield curve may be blinking red, but that is one factor.....inflation is low (which boggles my mind actually) and employment is great. Austin is a good bet to put money to work for developers/equity firms IMO. I worry more about the big coastal cities bleeding population due to ever increasing costs of living. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tion/35801453/

We are the "cost alternative" to the coasts....employers know that a good percentage of their employees do not want to live with high costs and cut throat atmosphere of SF or NYC. Move to Austin, make a good living, and enjoy life a bit more. Most who move here should have plenty of equity in their homes to sell and purchase something bigger/better/newer and closer to work.

Facebook, Google, Juul, Amazon, all want alternative cities for their employees to work/live, not to mention, they want post up close to all the Unis within 2 hours of Austin, and the seat of power in a very conservative state.

2 of the biggest success stories in downtown in terms of sales, the Austonian and the 4 Seasons both were started at the beginning of the last recession. By the time they were completed, we could see the light and sales pushed through.

The thing that can really hurt us is if money dries up as it did in 2008, but for now it's all about the jobs.

Thanks to the NIMBY's...real estate prices will stay strong due to the exclusionary zoning.....(and from what I've heard, Code Krunk won't do much to change the zoning)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
(and from what I've heard, Code Krunk won't do much to change the zoning)
Everything I've dealt with and touched says otherwise; but no one truly knows until hard documentation begins to come out I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
I hope you right.

Here is what i've heard.
-no touching of neighborhood plans (if this is true, its done)
-allowing STR in all urban-core neighborhoods (already allowed in most, except deed restirictions- which most people do not want to fight), if this is true it won't yield much.
-no increase in far or impervious (if this is true, then we I don't see any changes, just more undersized corridors, stumpy skyscrapers, and SF+ADU lots)
-get rid of the attic exemption. (not sure how this helps or hurts)
- possible reduction in setbacks (again with the deed restrictions?)
- not allowing additional height on major corridors or 2-3 streets off of corridors

Without major changes to the tree ordinance (i'm a tree lover but we need more homes, and we can mitigate the loss of existing trees with new trees...so..) it will always be difficult to squeeze more housing in.

Interested to see if Tovo or the Mayor win in their little amendment battle.

I originally thought this might be smart of the council, this way they get to blame Cronk for all the progressive changes. But now, I think they will still blame Cronk...but to the urbanists, instead of the NIMBY's.
So in other words, it's still a bunch of stodgy old people who "got here first" and/or inherited property, therefore not wanting to allow any changes to "their" areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin