HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
How racist! Criminals deserve rights too. We need to understand them better. They are such delicate souls, like children, crying for help.
Can you honestly give it a rest with this? This type of comment does not create productive conversation.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:58 PM

someone like Arne Duncan probably gets blessed and everything feels the same

or Lisa Madigan pulls something off.

Kurt Summers maybe

It's not going to be one of the current 12.. I just don't see vallas

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Can you honestly give it a rest with this? This type of comment does not create productive conversation.
Why not the same for Kenmore?All of his posts are garbage trolling.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
someone like Arne Duncan probably gets blessed and everything feels the same

or Lisa Madigan pulls something off.

Kurt Summers maybe

It's not going to be one of the current 12.. I just don't see vallas
To me, of the announced candidates, only Vallas is acceptable. But, I agree that something like this will happen.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why not the same for Kenmore?All of his posts are garbage trolling.
If you think someone is trolling the solution is not to troll back, make a reasoned argument or ignore What I responded to was not a reasoned argument, it was bait.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:25 PM

I think no matter what we get a weaker mayor and a city council that's quicker to slip into tribal warfare

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
If you think someone is trolling the solution is not to troll back, make a reasoned argument or ignore What I responded to was not a reasoned argument, it was bait.
It was over the top, but an important point was made. We seem to care too much for criminals. Tougher sentencing seems like an important part of the solution.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/gu...-em-up-debate/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:57 PM

Rahm’s legacy in my view will be 1. Fantastic economic and job growth. 2 uncontrollable violence (deaths would be MUCH higher now than in the 80’s if it wasn’t for rapid advancemeant in medical technology, also, he is hamstrung by Kim Fox not prosecuting violent criminals). 3 shoring up the pension systems with massive property tax increases. 4 putting an end to the budget gimmicks. 5 improving education and graduation scores while closing some, but not enough underenrolled schools. 6 not bending over to government unions as much as Daley in contract negotiations.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
What did they do, and why doesn't Chicago do the same then?
Both cities pushed a large portion of their poverty out, NJ, Inland Empire, etc.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I think no matter what we get a weaker mayor and a city council that's quicker to slip into tribal warfare
Just another reason to shrink the city council. The council should be focused on city wide issues, not potholes on some tiny side street and catering to NIMBYs.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:19 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
How so?
Nobody trusts CPD, which makes it hard for them to solve crimes. It's not completely their fault, but they haven't earned the trust of anyone.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Nobody trusts CPD, which makes it hard for them to solve crimes. It's not completely their fault, but they haven't earned the trust of anyone.
Is that any different from any other large city though? CPDs issues are common in most major US cities it seems. I doubt that is a large driver.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/213869/...l-average.aspx

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
Rahm’s legacy in my view will be 1. Fantastic economic and job growth. 2 uncontrollable violence (deaths would be MUCH higher now than in the 80’s if it wasn’t for rapid advancemeant in medical technology, also, he is hamstrung by Kim Fox not prosecuting violent criminals). 3 shoring up the pension systems with massive property tax increases. 4 putting an end to the budget gimmicks. 5 improving education and graduation scores while closing some, but not enough underenrolled schools. 6 not bending over to government unions as much as Daley in contract negotiations.
no offense, but the pensions are not even close to being shored up. and theres still plenty of budget gimmicks. what do you call Rahms proposal to take out another $10 billion loan to fund pensions (which btw, the city wants to gamble on the stock market to try and outpace the 5% borrowing cost...hm, when has this ever gone badly before)?

http://www.wirepoints.com/rahm-emanu...cago-pensions/

Last edited by Via Chicago; Sep 5, 2018 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:03 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Is that any different from any other large city though? CPDs issues are common in most major US cities it seems. I doubt that is a large driver.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/213869/...l-average.aspx
Well, I think CPD is #1 false confessions and police misconduct settlements. Despite paying such large sums, officers aren't usually disciplined.

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/a...e_confessions/
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...flated-by-debt
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...isconduct-bill

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I think CPD is #1 false confessions and police misconduct settlements. Despite paying such large sums, officers aren't usually disciplined.

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/a...e_confessions/
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...flated-by-debt
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...isconduct-bill
I have to admit I'm not following. Are you claiming that people commit more crime because of bad police? I am trying to get to the bottom of why Chicago has a higher crime rate than LA or NYC.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:45 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I have to admit I'm not following. Are you claiming that people commit more crime because of bad police? I am trying to get to the bottom of why Chicago has a higher crime rate than LA or NYC.
Police misconduct -> less trust in police -> harder to obtain evidence against criminals -> criminals commit more crimes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Police misconduct -> less trust in police -> harder to obtain evidence against criminals -> criminals commit more crimes.
Sorry, not buying it. But that's fine. I doubt Chicago's African Americans have a significantly different take on police than NYC or LA african americans do.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 9:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Sorry, not buying it. But that's fine. I doubt Chicago's African Americans have a significantly different take on police than NYC or LA african americans do.
It is a fact that if you lock someone up for a crime they didn't commit (through false confession), the person who actually committed that crime isn't being locked up.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
It is a fact that if you lock someone up for a crime they didn't commit (through false confession), the person who actually committed that crime isn't being locked up.
I'm sure that's the reason crime is so much higher in Chicago than NYC and LA. Has nothing to do with stronger sentencing of violent offenders in those cities vs. Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 10:36 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
This is hard to measure, but clearance rate is one observable. See e.g. https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mu...w-low-in-2017/

Quote:
Another explanation is the poor relationship between police and people who live in high-crime neighborhoods. That tension — and mistrust — grew even worse after the 2015 release of the police dash-camera video showing a police officer shooting Laquan McDonald 16 times.

Police Supt. Eddie Johnson says one of his biggest priorities is to repair that damage so that people will report crimes to the police.

Los Angeles Police Department officials have pointed to their robust community-policing program as a major factor in solving murders.

Charlie Beck, the Los Angeles police chief, was quoted last year in the Los Angeles Times, pointing to how the murder clearance rate in housing projects served by his department’s Community Safety Partnership was 81 percent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest