HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:40 PM

I do support LRT on all the lines, I just imagine if they have a change of heart to go with LRT it will happen on subsequent corridors and they will loop back to SWRT. As we know the other corridors are decades from completion.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:42 AM

The southwest route is designed to accommodate LRT. if that ever happens who knows. The next phases are non existent because the city has abandoned brt/lrt for future routes. No dedicated corridors. Using exisitng roads. Theres nothing.

In regards to bus routes, the southwest area is already determined, with spine and feeder routing. The rest of the city is part of the current transit master plan study.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:42 AM

Direct Embed of Winnipeg Transit's recent Southwest Transitway Phase 2 drive:
Video Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's one of those things where people who don't like it complain. People who like it don't say anything. Typically NIMBY kind of thing. we need more YIMBY's.
I like that term, "YES IN MY BACK YARD"

When the BRT line is done I'm thinking of doing an ALL STATION CHALLENGE video on my Youtube channel http://youtube.com/mcpish similar to Youtuber Geoff Marshall's ALL THE STATIONS challenges he does for London and other cities in Europe.

See how fast you can get to visit every station (you have to get out at each one).

Video Link
Video Link

Video Link

There's also a Youtuber who did one for Edmonton's LRT a few years back
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:25 AM

That drive along the new BRT is so depressing, serves zero urban areas.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:06 PM
Starring as himself

It’s pretty common for these things to be built in rights of way like that rather than shoehorned into builtup areas.

Last edited by Andy6; Feb 7, 2020 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:08 PM
Back from the dead

LilZebra:

That was kind of my point: There's never been any serious talk of converting any brand new BRT corridors into LRT. The furthest we've gotten is that the city would consider designing them for easy conversion but that's it. My friend, I think you're pulling this stuff out of your nether regions.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
designed to accommodate LRT
Are there any documents on exactly what this means? I've definitely heard it since the first phase started, but never really questioned. The stations don't seem very friendly to a change, and past Harkness station, it's just on the roadways. Is it mostly down to turning radius and the surfacing?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:26 PM

Perhaps they should just move to trackless trams, the savings on infrastructure spending to convert to rail would fund the trams themselves.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Perhaps they should just move to trackless trams, the savings on infrastructure spending to convert to rail would fund the trams themselves.
I'm pretty sure Glen Murray was advocating exactly that some 20 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:58 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
Are there any documents on exactly what this means? I've definitely heard it since the first phase started, but never really questioned. The stations don't seem very friendly to a change, and past Harkness station, it's just on the roadways. Is it mostly down to turning radius and the surfacing?
It was designed with turning and incline geometry to be able to convert to LRT. I remember the discussions in phase 1 about the length of the tunnel under the rail lines by Osborne. The incline/decline needed to be shallower to accommodate future LRT so the tunnel had to be longer.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It was designed with turning and incline geometry to be able to convert to LRT. I remember the discussions in phase 1 about the length of the tunnel under the rail lines by Osborne. The incline/decline needed to be shallower to accommodate future LRT so the tunnel had to be longer.
Are you aware if the rail underpass just west of Pembina and Jubilee, and the rail overpass south of Chevrier also meet these requirements?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Are you aware if the rail underpass just west of Pembina and Jubilee, and the rail overpass south of Chevrier also meet these requirements?
I don't have any documents in front of me, but I believe so.

"Winnipeg to study extension of bus service beyond perimeter, building park & rides for suburban commuters"

"Winnipeg is studying the idea of extending transit service to neighbouring municipalities or creating park-and-ride lots at the city's edges to shorten the drive for commuters who live in bedroom communities.

The city has launched a review of the way people move between Winnipeg and more than a dozen of its neighbours, including Stonewall, Selkirk, St. Andrews, Springfield, Tache, Macdonald, Headingley and Rosser.

The study, which will be launched in the coming weeks, will look at ways of improving transportation between Winnipeg and the surrounding communities."

read more.....
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ium%3Dsharebar
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Feb 7, 2020 at 4:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Ah, hadn't thought about inclines. Thanks for the info

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:17 PM

Yes all the of geometry meets the guidelines set out by the City for LRT. They have a documents somewhere that identifies maximum gradients, turning radius, horizontal and vertical clearances, etc.

Most of the gradients at maximum of 4%, with 2 locations being 5% (maybe 4.5%) can't remember. One on the east side of the wye underpass at Pembina and the other at the Chevrier side on the Letellier overpass.

Note subways have sometimes up to 7% to 10% grades. However those are mostly covered in tunnels and not subject to rain/snow. I'm not sure what outdoor LRT grades are usually maxed at. But 5% seems reasonable. Heavy freight is absolute max of 2% and that's usually in the mountains. Out on the prairies it's rarely at 1%. Usually down near 0.2%, which is the maximum gradient for spotting cars.

The Fort Rouge Tunnel is able to accommodate a double track LRT line.

My only comment on the route of the BRT is that it is to move people long distances, not down the street. While I agree it would be nice to have an LRT down the centre of Pembina and other locations. It just wasn't practical for the City. This is why I'm super leery on the next phases of transit expansion because they seem to have no will or money to do anything extensive.

The local feeder routes will get you the the BRT and you can wait a couple mins to catch the blue line or whatever they're going to call it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
What’s a trackless tram? A trolley bus?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:47 PM

Essentially an extra long articulating bus

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:15 PM
BANNED

It's pathetic that the second phase of the rapid transit line didn't open as soon as it was completed, total load of BS that they needed to train drivers, seriously!

The city borrowed money for the project and we are paying interest on something which is basically sitting idle.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:20 PM

The City pays ~$20m per year to Plenary Roads. Plenary financed the costs through their own means.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It's pathetic that the second phase of the rapid transit line didn't open as soon as it was completed, total load of BS that they needed to train drivers, seriously!

The city borrowed money for the project and we are paying interest on something which is basically sitting idle.
It is a P3 project with no formal "interest" payments per se. The project is being completed on time and under budget. Goes so show how little you know about municipal finance or just how large infrastructure projects work in general.

Also, when operations are going to be significantly altered, employees are usually trained on how to do things properly. If the City didn't train drivers and there were big screw ups on day one of opening, you'd still complain.

You are the prime example of someone who cannot be pleased, no matter what is done. If they opened up the line and there were delays due to driver error from a lack of training, you'd still be an old man yelling at the clouds blaming the city for not training the drivers properly.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 1:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
It is a P3 project with no formal "interest" payments per se. The project is being completed on time and under budget. Goes so show how little you know about municipal finance or just how large infrastructure projects work in general.

Also, when operations are going to be significantly altered, employees are usually trained on how to do things properly. If the City didn't train drivers and there were big screw ups on day one of opening, you'd still complain.

You are the prime example of someone who cannot be pleased, no matter what is done. If they opened up the line and there were delays due to driver error from a lack of training, you'd still be an old man yelling at the clouds blaming the city for not training the drivers properly.
Bolded, your joking right, these guys aren't flying a Boeing 757, the transitway is access limited and makes stops at new stations, the speed limit is 80 KMPH, wow that's complicated!

The analogy for letting the second phase sit idle would be as stupid as buying a new car and leaving sitting on your parking pad for six months before you drive it.

And so it's a P3 project, payments are being made for something that is not being used, pretty dumb no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan